Deep Snow Bog - 2021 Skidoo Turbo

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have had a deep snow bog since the day I got my skidoo turbo. Tough to diagnose. I was also leaving black trails but that was fixed when dealer discovered that fuel was reading 2 PSI less that it was than factory spec. Dealer replaced on warranty, the fuel pump/regulator combo, no more issues. But every time im in deep snow thats over the hood it has deep bog and will continue until I clean off the vents. This runs fine when there is no snow over piled on the hood, so in conditions 1 1/2 and under its fine.

There is a valve that is designed to open when those vents are plugged with snow. I now don't believe that my valve is operating correctly, Possibly the spring is too strong and not releasing as designed. I am going to order a new assembly Part # 508000950, Air Duct Assembly. Curious on the spring difference between both.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

skidoovent.png

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deep snow bogs have been around for decades. That motor needs to breath so keeping the vents clean is critical. Certain snow could plug off your exhaust as well Ron. Probably more likely to happen in heavier deep snow than fine snow on the exhaust is what I have seen.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Deep snow bogs have been around for decades. That motor needs to breath so keeping the vents clean is critical. Certain snow could plug off your exhaust as well Ron. Probably more likely to happen in heavier deep snow than fine snow on the exhaust is what I have seen.

I have ridden with many other turbos in exact conditions and mine alone is falling on its face and having these issues when others are not. I rode with Maxwell, Caper11, Merc63 and they don't experience this heavy bogs and even stalls that I am. They are not constantly cleaning there vents off and enjoy the deep, I seem to get this bog that can run for 20 - 30 seconds and either ejects me over the bars when my sled stalls out or gets me stuck because sled looses all power and just slowly crawls along.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you running the stock can or aftermarket?
Had one in our group that bogged in deep until he put the heavy stock can back on, Might not be your problem but worth a shot

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Are you running the stock can or aftermarket?
Had one in our group that bogged in deep until he put the heavy stock can back on, Might not be your problem but worth a shot

All stock. Leaving stock, to keep the warrantee. And other sleds I have been riding with all are stock, the only slight differences were some clutching, and in low snow conditions less than 1 1/2' this is not an issue.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 bogged bad in deep snow ( one of it's many problems) cut a bit out of the spring and it helped
On hill problems are a royal pain in the butt to find

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My 08 bogged bad in deep snow ( one of it's many problems) cut a bit out of the spring and it helped
On hill problems are a royal pain in the butt to find

08? The turbo was only introduced in 2020.5 Im ordering a new vent kit and will compare the springs, its $71.99, I'll put that in to the sled to rule this issue out.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. My skidoo turbo does not miss a beat and I have never had to once wipe to vents in deep snow. I’ve been in Revy the last four days burning between 45 and 60 L a day I am blown away I haven’t had a problem, knock on wood. Most of the Sled’s I’m riding with have had some issues during the last deep days rides. . It can only be two things steam or lack of air. I do notice when my hood is fully covered my sled sounds labored but one flick of the throttle and she comes alive.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08? The turbo was only introduced in 2020.5 Im ordering a new vent kit and will compare the springs, its $71.99, I'll put that in to the sled to rule this issue out.
08 naturally asperated sled, it was the airbox vent

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All stock. Leaving stock, to keep the warrantee. And other sleds I have been riding with all are stock, the only slight differences were some clutching, and in low snow conditions less than 1 1/2' this is not an issue.

Ask dealer if they will put an intake vent in under the hood, 1.5".
Not sure if there is a spot with the turbo, old school fix on lack of air.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When your vents are covered in snow stab the throttle a couple times and that loose snow will come off the vents. Last ride out there would be several times the snow would be piled up 10-12" on the hood, stab the throttle a few times and the loose snow would fall off. I have read elsewhere if you have the extreme vents this will not work the same as the stock frog skinz.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, I always blast the boost a couple times hard, on off throttle, the pressure from closing the throttle plate, sends boost out the vents and causes it to blow the snow off.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking he ran out of talent this weekend and kept getting stuck but wants to blame the snowmobile ;)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a tough one. as Mentioned i have rode with ron a few times and the dealer has been through the machine with a fine tooth comb. I think you need to try that valve replacement as to me that is the only thing it could possibly be....its not opening.....whether the spring is faulty and too stiff or its sticking on the sides of the plastic. as the sled runs fine when the vents arent covered. Like Drew562 mentioned these sleds can run all day with the vents totally covered its actually quite impressive.. these things will run perfect completely submerged. let us know if that works.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen a 850 NA and a 850t this last weekend choking off from to much snow on vents, lots of black trails in the snow, running richer than they should be..

Had a big snorkel on aftermarket kit and snow never covered it up once.. spool was quick and clean

When intake is choked back it also has a effect on exhaust back pressure in deep snow, just adds to over fuel you could be seeing.. snow at times was over a foot deep around bars, no vent will be efficient at that, maybe grabbing all the hot air under hood

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Dealer didn't change the valve?

A loaner valve to try out next weekend, but when they remove will check spring and everything over with other units. I said put tape on all the vents then hit the throttle, is may bog then and stall like it does on the hill.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A loaner valve to try out next weekend, but when they remove will check spring and everything over with other units. I said put tape on all the vents then hit the throttle, is may bog then and stall like it does on the hill.
Tape is a good idea.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure your check valve is not stuck, had a sled where the valve was stuck closed.. it gives hot under hood air, and there is only so much of that if sled is submerged like we have been this last week all day long.. a clean snorkel above snow to me is the best remedy for clean engine performance in the deep, the vents that doo have is a band aid fix and will starve engine, raise charge temps at the mercy of performance in those deep snow conditions

Top Bottom