08 Apex mtx info

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The clutching info I posted is what I have experimented with and confimed with Darren (E&S). Very knowledged guy with Yamahas. Would recommend E&S to anyone, Super service A1.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only speculating, but it could be slightly different measurments, or composition of materials. That I do not know.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious how you guys like the under tunnel exhaust? Any issues with it plugging up during deep powder days?

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2007 apex with 600km on it, ever since about 130km it has developed a missfire, studder, hesitation around 3/4 throttle under load, up hills and or in lots of snow. almost like shut down fuel. you can hear it sputter and miss from the exhaust. i am a auto mechanic and i have torn this apart 3 times, all looks good. there was a recall from dealer or update for throttle pos. sensor in thumb for faulty readings and causing that proble, NOPE that did not work.. replaced plugs( looked good) still slight miss but better then before. coils looked good.. dealer also said clutches set up for mountains. will get color codes later to post. doesnt seem to have a problem redlining on groomed or easy hills, only under load. any ideas as this sled may go missing soon lol

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious how you guys like the under tunnel exhaust? Any issues with it plugging up during deep powder days?

I love it. Have had it in 4 feet of poo and not a problem.Sounds wicked, just like the R1 street bike. light weights 4.1 pounds far cry from the 26 lbs stock.
I put on the TJ powersport pipe and higrise boss seat package that the sell. Dropped 46 pounds.:D:D:D:D 2 thumbs up from me.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love it. Have had it in 4 feet of poo and not a problem.Sounds wicked, just like the R1 street bike. light weights 4.1 pounds far cry from the 26 lbs stock.
I put on the TJ powersport pipe and higrise boss seat package that the sell. Dropped 46 pounds.:D:D:D:D 2 thumbs up from me.

So now you've upgraded from Container Ship to Cruise Liner? LOL :D :D :D

All you need now is those great big stacks!

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2007 apex with 600km on it, ever since about 130km it has developed a missfire, studder, hesitation around 3/4 throttle under load, up hills and or in lots of snow. almost like shut down fuel. you can hear it sputter and miss from the exhaust. i am a auto mechanic and i have torn this apart 3 times, all looks good. there was a recall from dealer or update for throttle pos. sensor in thumb for faulty readings and causing that proble, NOPE that did not work.. replaced plugs( looked good) still slight miss but better then before. coils looked good.. dealer also said clutches set up for mountains. will get color codes later to post. doesnt seem to have a problem redlining on groomed or easy hills, only under load. any ideas as this sled may go missing soon lol

This has happened to me. Is your sled instrument panel flashing any codes?

Upon return from Valemount I was concerned with the sputter and hesitation under load when climbing and in the deep powder myself.... There was no codes. What would cause this? I noticed that I was using as much fuel as my 2 smoker buddies. Why? to make a long story short, I found that my air box was not on the throttle bodies all the way. The four rubber tubes that go onto the throttles, one was folded up and in and the clamps were not really that tight. I also found that the air box seal was not making a complete seal. I reassembled everything, paying extra care to have the box fitted right, and tightened the clamps. The next weekend off to the mountains again and never had an issue again. This was when the dealer set up my sled, when they installed the battery whom ever was working on it had not put the air box on properly, thus the extra air/ snow being drawn into the throttle assembly and loading up.

If your sled was set up at the dealer for the mountains it will most likely have a yellow pink yellow primary spring, it will have 8FS clutch weights, it will also have a 13.3mm rivet in the outer hole ( this rivet will have a hole in the center) 13.3mm rivet in the center hole with a hole nin it, and the inner hole will be empty. This configuration is for 6000 to 8500 feet. I believe that most riding around Mcbride, Valemount, and Blue River is in the 3000 to 6000 ft elevation. This is were I would check with S & M members as they would have a much better insight into this than myself.
Hope this helps you out.
Good Luck:D

Buster

Reaction score
Hey Tabneil,

What about remapping your fuel after new exhaust, did you do anything or buy a new box.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Tabneil,

What about remapping your fuel after new exhaust, did you do anything or buy a new box.

No remapping required....... I did mod. my air box. used a hole saw i believe it was 1 1/4 ", drilled four holes on the backside up under, close to the factory intake. This mod still uses the foam filter, just allows more air into the box.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to be installing a powercommander and an ignition module on. they work great on bikes so will giver a try on the Apex.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info i will double check the air box tonight. hope i find something. does your box fill up with oilish residue, both times i have had box off there has been slight traces of oil, is this normal?? i have rolled it a few times but never when running. i do realize that i will get some oil spillage. i will check with the dealer for more updates aswell. thanks

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info i will double check the air box tonight. hope i find something. does your box fill up with oilish residue, both times i have had box off there has been slight traces of oil, is this normal?? i have rolled it a few times but never when running. i do realize that i will get some oil spillage. i will check with the dealer for more updates aswell. thanks

Yes you will get oil in the box if you flip it over. Running or not it doesn't matter, the oil will come out the big tube from the crank. A little residue will not hurt anything, If anything it will help, If for some reason there is dust it will be collected by the oil rather than going it the motor ( storage)

Make sure that you check that the lines/hoses are on all the way aswell and that they have the hose clamps on both ends.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear TJ's package is working for ya, I'm headed the same way.

Shiznitt100, have you sealed your hood to keep the pow out? I used foam tape on the under side of the hood to keep powder from getting under the hood. The empty space under the hood in the nose used to get packed with snow. Tape the hood off and cover those grey vents at the front of the hood with water/snow proof fabric. I have not had a problem since.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the help, i am going out to castle on sunday i hope it runs good. my clutch springs are both black, what does this mean for altitude or set up? i am new at all this so please forgive me. i bought a 4 stroker so i did not have to tune or play, but i need something to wreck.. lol thanks again

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the help, i am going out to castle on sunday i hope it runs good. my clutch springs are both black, what does this mean for altitude or set up? i am new at all this so please forgive me. i bought a 4 stroker so i did not have to tune or play, but i need something to wreck.. lol thanks again

All the Yammy springs are Black. To tell the difference between them they paint a color code on them for spring identifiction (preload, spring rate, wire diameter, and outside diameter.) Attached is a example spring with the color code blue/pink/blue

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 99

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will look again tonight, i have to take it apart again tonight i am having a rattle noise from clucth area and there is no preload on the weights and they seem to be very loose, maybe belt is worn too much. will keep posting lol. thanks again

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys i fixed all the old ploblems with sled now i have a new problem...... 10 mins on the trail on saturday in radium a wierd noise was heard, i pull over on the trail and shut it off, check belt (was just replaced on thursday) everything looks a-ok so i started the sled, not even 2 secs later to my surprise IT STOPED now im thinking what the F@#$ is # 1 connecting rod doing outside the block.... yep that is right 700km on sled and #1 rod is outside the block. 10 mins of 5-6000 rpm on the trail 50 km/hr. nice F@#$ sled yamaha... and oh ya it gets better i get a half ass rebuilt motor, not even a nice new short block.. not even 2 months old. not to happy here... will keep you posted on how this fits up the dealers A#$ may need some lube.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck with your Apex. Hope all fares well with the dealer. I to had a couple hick-ups with my yamaha products, but nothing to serious....... yet. A couple set up issues and some miss communication, but all in all I am pretty happy with the Yammys, That is Yamaha products, the dealers are a differant story. They sell the product to make money, they don't make it. I to felt the same as you ,but with a different brand and then moved on to another. only to realize for myself that is .... they all have some issues from time to time, the hundreds of thousands of sleds,quads,utv's, outboards, and generators,etc. out there running all over place........ one or two of them are bound to poop the bed. It just happens.....could be you or me or the next guy. I know its crappy!...... But it happens, and at the worst time. Thats why they sell warranty. For an extra sum.... and inconvience we get to ride, drive or use. I remember when I bought a dirt bike I got a free top end kit... anyone remember that? I guess the point I am tring to make is sooner than later it happens to all of us and doesn't matter what it is ..... I'll use an old saying but keep it clean.... "If it has Jugs or tires it will give you trouble"
Best of luck to you on your sled.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i agree its the luck of the draw. they will not take the sled apart until the warrenty guy sees it which will be next tuesday. they will not give me a loaner, nor a demo. i was told they are not a rental company. i am talking with yamaha direct and we will see what they can do to help. please do not get me wrong the sled is great, i love all the yamy products i have r6 and r1 both flawless, and that is why i get the apex... but i did not pay 13,000 for 2 months of riding. i am pissed that they will not accomidate more. heres your sled and sorry for your luck is not acceptable to me im sorry. not even 2 months old. just dissapointed my season is over.

Top Bottom