Rv batts

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK i am sure this has been beat like a dead horse but I would like to know from guys with first hand experience which they prefer and why. I need to put two new batts in the rv this spring and i can get 6v or 12v trough work for same price. Thanks in advance.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK i am sure this has been beat like a dead horse but I would like to know from guys with first hand experience which they prefer and why. I need to put two new batts in the rv this spring and i can get 6v or 12v trough work for same price. Thanks in advance.
absolutely without question....go with 2-6v batteries. one 6 volt has more capacity than 2-12v batteries. I switched mine over to 6's after adding a second 12v and still could only go for 3 days max....if the furnace had to kick in cut that to 48hrs. with the 2 6's I can go for 5 days with the furnace running every night. best upgrade ever

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks thats what i wanted i am kinda sick of charging batteries every day when it cool out and the furnace is running.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be converting my trailer over to 2- 6 volts when my current batteries die off. Sucks having to either pull them or charge them every couple of days in the winter.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or you could get a GOOD solar panel and never have to worry about your batteries again. I got one on sale from Woodys rv for a great deal and have never had to worry about dead batteries in my motorhome again. But you are looking at about 800-1400 bucks for the setup. The 200 dollar ones usually wont put out enough.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
absolutely without question....go with 2-6v batteries. one 6 volt has more capacity than 2-12v batteries. I switched mine over to 6's after adding a second 12v and still could only go for 3 days max....if the furnace had to kick in cut that to 48hrs. with the 2 6's I can go for 5 days with the furnace running every night. best upgrade ever

Absolutely the truth. If you really want to be worry free, go with a 115watt solar panel as well. I did, and it's by far the best money I have ever spent. We don't conserve at all on power, lights on, tv on, stereo on, furnace set at 22, and by 11:00 am, my batteries are fully charged.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absolutely the truth. If you really want to be worry free, go with a 115watt solar panel as well. I did, and it's by far the best money I have ever spent. We don't conserve at all on power, lights on, tv on, stereo on, furnace set at 22, and by 11:00 am, my batteries are fully charged.
my next upgrade for sure, prices are becoming reasonable for solar accessories.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the read Murminator. One day i will get solar panals but not now to much $$. I think i will go with the 2 6v and hope they work as good as they are supposed to. The old aldy sure likes her heat so my furnace runs 24\7 at like 25C.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
thanks for the read Murminator. One day i will get solar panals but not now to much $$. I think i will go with the 2 6v and hope they work as good as they are supposed to. The old aldy sure likes her heat so my furnace runs 24\7 at like 25C.

You might have to do some configuring to fit them on the your hitch be cause they are a lot bigger batteries. Had to cut my bracket off a weld up a new one and mounted it to the top of my frame because the would not fit between the frame horns

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you keep your batteries on a battery maintainer 24/7 when not camping they last a lot longer.I have 2 6v's that are 5 years old this season.I permanently mounted a c-tek charger/maintainer on the inside of the frame rail. Battery tender 's web site has a lot of useful info on batteries.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might have to do some configuring to fit them on the your hitch be cause they are a lot bigger batteries. Had to cut my bracket off a weld up a new one and mounted it to the top of my frame because the would not fit between the frame horns

I should be all right i am sure they are mounted on top of the frame as it is, just they wont fit in the dam plastic boxes. what did you end up using to cover the batteries.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya will just have to find some tall enough, what did end up paying for your 6v.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not that 6v hold twice as much...that's not true. An average 6v golf cart batt is 180 to 220 amp hours while a Group 27 12v is 85 to 105 amp hrs. The thing that makes more amp hours is SIZE...more lead. A golf cart batt is slightly larger than a Group27 12v and a lot larger than a Group 24 12v. Large amp hrs is what you want.

Two Trojan T105 GC batts are 225 amp hrs at 12v. (62 lbs each)
Two Trojan 27 MTX G27 batts are 210 amp hrs at 12v. (55 lbs each)

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not that 6v hold twice as much...that's not true. An average 6v golf cart batt is 180 to 220 amp hours while a Group 27 12v is 85 to 105 amp hrs. The thing that makes more amp hours is SIZE...more lead. A golf cart batt is slightly larger than a Group27 12v and a lot larger than a Group 24 12v. Large amp hrs is what you want.

Two Trojan T105 GC batts are 225 amp hrs at 12v. (62 lbs each)
Two Trojan 27 MTX G27 batts are 210 amp hrs at 12v. (55 lbs each)

X2. Most don't realize there is different sizes of 12v. 24/27/31 series. Most compare 2 24's to 2 6v's. Apples to oranges. 2 27's are nearly identical to 2 6's. Also most people connect pos and neg on the same 12v. Always hook pos on one and neg on the other batt and they will last way longer

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also most people connect pos and neg on the same 12v. Always hook pos on one and neg on the other batt and they will last way longer[/QUOTE]

If you do that on two 6v you get 12v if you do that on two 12v you get 24v????The difference between hooking them up in series and kooking them up in parallel.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also most people connect pos and neg on the same 12v. Always hook pos on one and neg on the other batt and they will last way longer

If you do that on two 6v you get 12v if you do that on two 12v you get 24v????The difference between hooking them up in series and kooking them up in parallel.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about the trailer connections. Hook the 2 12's in parallel then hook trailer pos on one batt and trailer neg on other batt.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also most people connect pos and neg on the same 12v. Always hook pos on one and neg on the other batt and they will last way longer

If you do that on two 6v you get 12v if you do that on two 12v you get 24v????The difference between hooking them up in series and kooking them up in parallel.[/QUOTE]

Ya Ker-sparkage!! I dont understand these terms on batteries cause use 4D or 8D batteries. Has always worked for me and the genset re-charges them, also the truck charges them while driving, and the tiny solar panel keeps them fine all winter.......... same batteries for 8 years.

Top Bottom