Snowpulse airbag or ABS airbag. (which is better?)

Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering which brand is better. I see that the snowPulse protects the head better. (Saw the add on specialty Sleds web site)

Any info would help. thanks.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
They are both better than nothing. Just get one and take a certified Avalanche course........and a refresher every few years......and practice with your transcievers regularily........and read the bulletins on avalanche.ca every trip........and tell your riding partners you don't ride with them if they don't take the same steps as you.
Be safe
RS

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the difference is:
The ABS has a cartridge that fills the bag which is I think 110$ a pop, the Snowpulse, you can get refilled at a scuba shop for about 30$. I believe you need some adapters that are available.

Here are some comparisons. I don't know if the webpage is biased or not.

Like Climbmax said, make sure you are trained in a certified avalanche course, and also have the other equipment. and know how to use them.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are both excellent tools to have. They both have there good and bad points, depending on the person you talk to. The bottom line is they work and either one will do nothing but help you when you are in need.
I, myself wear a ABS for the reason they have been tested and proven with approx. 20 plus years of field use, development and results to back them up. The pulse packs are relatively new and need more field time in my opinion. Either way, you are better off with either and they both have the same purpose. I think it is great that there is now two styles out there for the consumers. Maybe now the prices will come down to a realistic amount so that all back country adventurers can afford them.... once again this is just my opinion and not to attempt to sway anyone that one is better than the other. One is better than none.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tabneil and I have similar thoughts. I have went with ABS because they are tried and true. I tired on both and found the snowpulse shoulder straps pretty bulky and just didn't think it would be that comfortable. There are arguments for both styles. The re-fillable part really means nothing. If you actually pull the trigger on one of these becuase you are in an avalanche you have made a big mistake no matter which pack you have! if you pull the trigger and survive the avalanche re-filling the bottle will be no issue. ABS will cover that cost and even if you hafto pay it will be a small cost if you have lived...

hmmc

Reaction score
I own a snopulse and the pack seems to be the most well built pack I have owned. I sold my ABS after I bought this one it seems to fit me better. There is a very good product support with both products so fit to the rider is what counts. As for the cost whats a 1000.00 bucks when it saves your life it is very affordable. Most guys spend that in the bar over the entire sledding season. The thing that sold me on the pack was very few people actually know how to use a beacon or will even take an avy course. So well I am buried they can try to figure out how to use something that they should have had to pass a test before they went to the hills. I could rant all day about this.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought an ABS because they have been around so long, the price difference wasn't a big issue for me, the refills are really not that much in the scheme of things, I would go with the ABS as they are proven and maybe in a few years and snowpulse is proven they might also get some of my business as i will need another for the boy, but which ever one you choose is a good choice, I'm not sure that the boys in sparwood had one on but i never heard that anyone was wearing either of these packs and maybe it wouldn't have been such a great loss of life if they were wearing these units, they are well worth the money and you really can't put a price on your safety, well i know that i would spend what ever i had to to come back safe........... and when your up there check the snow pack to see how safe it is use some caution so you can ride another day.

JMO

Steve

GRD

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the boys in sparwood had one on but i never heard that anyone was wearing either of these packs and maybe it wouldn't have been such a great loss of life if they were wearing these units

I think they are both a good product. As most people have said ABS is proven with 20 years plus. I like the idea that the ABS comes out behind you and you are still able to see around you.

Steve, I heard in the press confrence that the group did have an ABS pack, but they had taken off there gear to search after the first slide. When the second slide hit, the pack wasn't even on.

rusty43

Reaction score
Where are good spots in Edm to purchase either one of these units? I'll be in town for the bike show and might as well shop while I'm there. Also, who in Edm might be doing avalanche course wknd of 17th Jan?

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they are both a good product. As most people have said ABS is proven with 20 years plus. I like the idea that the ABS comes out behind you and you are still able to see around you.

Steve, I heard in the press confrence that the group did have an ABS pack, but they had taken off there gear to search after the first slide. When the second slide hit, the pack wasn't even on.

that is so sad......what can you do i feel for those people. take your pack off to help and get taken out.....that is bad timing...:(:(

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both packs will do the job, I wear ABS it was the only one out there 5 years ago ,they work just don't hesitate on pulling the trigger!According to WARI their will be a third pack for next year called Avi Vest have not seen a lot of details on this Air Bag.

Have a safe WINTER!

Summitseeker

Reaction score
I think both have their advantages. I did a lot of research and ended up putting a group buy together for 25 ABS bags last week.

Top Bottom