Yanking around a 40' toy hauler, with gas engine

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cost to replace a modern gas engine is not like swapping a chev 350 anymore I have had v-10 fords and 6.4's replaced. By the time the truck drives out of the shop the cost difference is marginal. Lots of good opinions on here but any well worked gas engine isn't gonna be too chit hot after 100k.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually have a diesel that I tow with so its not a matter of justifying anything. I just don't agree that only a diesel will do the job. Too many people are too clueless to Understand that a diesel isn't the answer to everything. A lot of people tow their trailer for two weeks a year but have to have a diesel because it's "easier" to tow with one. How is it easier? Is it more difficult to push the gas pedal on a gas truck?
For average drivers who tow for vacations only the savings in annual operating costs alone will pay for the difference in fuel used while towing, let alone the $10k more the diesel truck cost. If you're a snowbird rv'er , use your truck for work or drive a lot of miles, then different story.
If you find towing hard or stressful with anything but a 450hp diesel, you probably shouldn't be on the road.

We aren't talking a 19ft pumper pull here, but rather a 40ft a toyhauler.

Good luck with that.

I don't know why anyone would be concerned about the extra 10k to upgrade a $55k gas job into a diesel.

Especially after they have found the funds to buy a 40' toy hauler.

Toy hauler weighs what? 12,000lbs?
You can probably find a half ton rated to pull that.

PS, I did not forsee you owning a diesel lol :)

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loaded my toy hauler is around the 17k mark. My dodge srw gas job would have been overweight and had a heck of a time towing it. Lighter trailer no problem but towing from lethbridge to home with my 20' enclosed trailer I got just over 200km to a tank of fuel in a wind storm. Trailer was empty as well.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gas haulers need to get caught up in a ugly cross wind or a hard pull like the salmo creston pass on a hot day in July pulls your 20k 40 foot Rv.. Did it once as well, and can promise you it would be sold before doing something so stupid again

buy the right truck for the job.. Make your trip so much better

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that (need vs want) applies to so many things we all own. We don't need a big house, we want one. Nobody needs to turbo a sled, they want to. Do I need a diesel truck for pulling my smallish fiver. Nope but I sure enjoy myself more that I do have a diesel.

It is fun constantly accelerating up a 6% grade in the rockies instead of sitting there at 60 K in the slow lane with the engine bellering like a gut shot elk. Is it "justifiable?" No more or less than the other stuff I own. If someone is happy with the gasser, that's great. We are talking about a 40 foot toy hauler so once you would be off the prairies, it wouldn't be much fun even with the biggest block going up or down the hills. You could still do it though. I mean, its not like putting a sled deck on a half ton or something :)

I actually have a diesel that I tow with so its not a matter of justifying anything. I just don't agree that only a diesel will do the job. Too many people are too clueless to Understand that a diesel isn't the answer to everything. A lot of people tow their trailer for two weeks a year but have to have a diesel because it's "easier" to tow with one. How is it easier? Is it more difficult to push the gas pedal on a gas truck?
For average drivers who tow for vacations only the savings in annual operating costs alone will pay for the difference in fuel used while towing, let alone the $10k more the diesel truck cost. If you're a snowbird rv'er , use your truck for work or drive a lot of miles, then different story.
If you find towing hard or stressful with anything but a 450hp diesel, you probably shouldn't be on the road.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to Compare a Diesel and a gas engine, is like trying to compare a gas engine to a electric powered vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gas haulers need to get caught up in a ugly cross wind or a hard pull like the salmo creston pass on a hot day in July pulls your 20k 40 foot Rv.. Did it once as well, and can promise you it would be sold before doing something so stupid again

buy the right truck for the job.. Make your trip so much better
Probably cost a guy 30k to trade up in a year's time.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 8.1 pulls around Alberta just fine fully loaded 17,500 lbs total weight, but I scale down for mountains maybe 500lbs (no water and extra gas) it's just fine, 26' travel trailer no slide,and 2 Grizzlys on truck.I would not add anymore weight to that setup unless I got a duramax and a dually...I scaled in at 400lbs under rear truck axle tire rating.......safety is important.

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 8.1 pulls around Alberta just fine fully loaded 17,500 lbs total weight, but I scale down for mountains maybe 500lbs (no water and extra gas) it's just fine, 26' travel trailer no slide,and 2 Grizzlys on truck.I would not add anymore weight to that setup unless I got a duramax and a dually...I scaled in at 400lbs under rear truck axle tire rating.......safety is important.

You say total weight so you are including the truck as well?

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You say total weight so you are including the truck as well?
Yup, the GVCWR for that truck is 22,500 but I like to have extra, scales east of Rocky if ya sneak through them quick.I have heard trucks can pull anything though, but this is how I like to do it....even my wife bugs me to get a slide on trailer,it adds a 1000lbs lol

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is fun constantly accelerating up a 6% grade in the rockies instead of sitting there at 60 K in the slow lane with the engine bellering like a gut shot elk.

A straight piped modern diesel that has the ability to constantly accelerate up a 6% grade while pulling a sizeable trailer will still be bellering like a bawling calf, especially the modern version 6 cylinder. At least the 8's sound like an angry jet.

Maybe it's the old age, but I almost feel bad for people I pass- I can only imagine how loud it is outside :)

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's also interesting to compare a 2016 6.4 hemi, to a 2002 24 valve.(one of my all time favourite trucks) The torque is nearly the same. Sure the hemi will be revved out, but that's what it's designed to do.

Holidays are for seeing the sights anyway... ;)

Thanks for the input so far folks. I'm impressed it hasn't gone off the rails yet :beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, the GVCWR for that truck is 22,500 but I like to have extra, scales east of Rocky if ya sneak through them quick.I have heard trucks can pull anything though, but this is how I like to do it....even my wife bugs me to get a slide on trailer,it adds a 1000lbs lol
you are plenty safe at 17,500. the 22,500 is a safety rating well below the failure point of your equipment.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's also interesting to compare a 2016 6.4 hemi, to a 2002 24 valve.(one of my all time favourite trucks) The torque is nearly the same. Sure the hemi will be revved out, but that's what it's designed to do.

Thanks for the input so far folks. I'm impressed it hasn't gone off the rails yet :beer:

I don't think I've seen a stock 24 valve though. Most have a 4" turbo back and programmer at the minimum

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A straight piped modern diesel that has the ability to constantly accelerate up a 6% grade while pulling a sizeable trailer will still be bellering like a bawling calf, especially the modern version 6 cylinder. At least the 8's sound like an angry jet.

Maybe it's the old age, but I almost feel bad for people I pass- I can only imagine how loud it is outside :)

Lol I often feel the same way. My cummins has 5" exhaust and is not quiet. It don't puke black smoke as I only ever have it in tow mode on my tuner. I feel bad for the older people on cruiser bike that are going slower taking in the scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The difference is the hemi with cruise set at 100 km/h will slow down to 90 on a hill. Then eventually start downshifting and will hold that 99 or 95 until it gets to the flats and get back up to 100. The diesel will hold the 100. Maybe go down to 98 or 97. Sometimes it will shift down but usually not.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The difference is the hemi with cruise set at 100 km/h will slow down to 90 on a hill. Then eventually start downshifting and will hold that 99 or 95 until it gets to the flats and get back up to 100. The diesel will hold the 100. Maybe go down to 98 or 97. Sometimes it will shift down but usually not.

So, when you guys say 'diesel', what do you mean? There is a pretty big difference in the last 10 years even.

Also, why is downshifting said like it's a bad thing??

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huge difference in 10 years. I refer to new trucks myself. When downshifting it loses a lot of speed. Not easy to make up with a heavy load. Last trip in my motorhome last year I had some old guy in front of me. He would only do 90 when I wanted to do 110. When I came to the passing lane he would speed up so I couldn't pass him. I tried multiple times. Once back to a single lane he would slow right down again. I finally got to an open section of road and got passed him and started moving into his lane with my enclosed trailer to show him I was displeased with his driving. He finally back off and slowed to his 90 km/h again and I didn't see him anymore. This is with a 33' 454 class a motorhome and 20' enclosed trailer. Now with the diesel and toyhauler I can pass these idiots without any issue. It isn't any different then driving a b train with some ass in a small car the is doing way under the speed limit. You cannot pass and have to slow way down unless you get lucky and pass in a good spot.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huge difference in 10 years. I refer to new trucks myself. When downshifting it loses a lot of speed. Not easy to make up with a heavy load. Last trip in my motorhome last year I had some old guy in front of me. He would only do 90 when I wanted to do 110. When I came to the passing lane he would speed up so I couldn't pass him. I tried multiple times. Once back to a single lane he would slow right down again. I finally got to an open section of road and got passed him and started moving into his lane with my enclosed trailer to show him I was displeased with his driving. He finally back off and slowed to his 90 km/h again and I didn't see him anymore. This is with a 33' 454 class a motorhome and 20' enclosed trailer. Now with the diesel and toyhauler I can pass these idiots without any issue. It isn't any different then driving a b train with some ass in a small car the is doing way under the speed limit. You cannot pass and have to slow way down unless you get lucky and pass in a good spot.

Sounds like an average day on any BC highway with some Alberta city drivers

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats quite a story... it explains a lot though. Downshifting doesn't lose speed. In many cases, it will gain you speed- even with a brand new 900lbs of torque truck, when it's under load.

Anyway, it seems like any further into this and feeling might get hurt, so I'll leave it at that.:beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom