The next trip on the old rail-line Rocky to Nordegg.

FyreRyder

Reaction score
Man I CAN'T wait !!! Ridin in the west country ROCKS !!! I too have to work June 6 and 7 (dam shift work) but thought it might good 2 go for this weekend with the good weather and all !! ( I probally just jinx it) My buddy is having some personal issues so we thought I good ride at Saunder's might be the tonic he needs. It's all new country for me there so hopefully I can find some decent riding around there. Is there riding across the hiway too ??? Or should a guy stay down by the river and find trails ??

Have a look at my GPS map. I have not been on the north side of the highway very much but what I have seen are tones of trails.
(haven't posted pictures or files yet so don't know if this will work...)

Attachments

• gpsmap_label.jpg
    gpsmap_label.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 115

FyreRyder

Reaction score
Here is better resolution of Saunders. This is only one ride out there last fall...

Attachments

• gpsmap_saunders.jpg
    gpsmap_saunders.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 103

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guessing meeting at 9 am at the petro can in Rocky on June 6th but will make a decision for sure a little closer to date

I HAVE been able to get us a SECURE PARKING area near our starting point. We can use the yard at Hela Ventures just off hwy 11 on the Horburg road, they have said it will be a SMALL fee for watching our trucks (about $5 per truck) is what they where thinking. I will know for sure on the cost soon. Yes Medler meeting at 9 am at the Petro Can gas/resturant on June 6 will work fine.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and two friends are heading out to Saunder's in the morning and would like some info on where the trails are . Could some one let me know ?? The GPS maps from Frye ryder are good but I don't quite understand them. :confused: Is any one else going out there for a ride tommorow ??? :d

FyreRyder

Reaction score
Just turn left off highway 11 at the Saunders sign. (about 35 to 45 minutes west of Rocky) The road is short into the old town site of Suanders and there is plenty of staging areas. There are trails heading north around the old town site and rail line but I haven't checked them out much. The loop that we made, you travel further down the road heading west past a large open camping area to the start of the trail head.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd love to make it out but can't come tomorrow morning. When you turn left off hwy 11 you will quickly come to a "Y" in the road, keep left. Once in the campsite area at the toilets there is a trail heading east through a big ravine follow that and you'll get to Misty Valley, if you want to get back on the railline to get to Misty valley take a left soon after you made it through 2 ravines. Again from Saunders follow the road to the west through the open area until the road turns left at that point keep going straight about 1 km or so up that trail you'll see a trail heading north up the hill, go up that and you'll be on the railline. From that point go right to the steel trestle or left to Alexo and Harlech campground at hwy 11.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I will try my best to find those trails. I can't even relax to go to sleep , I want to go ridin sooooo bad. ( Man, I sound like a little school girl:p, o wait i mean school boy:cool: !! ) Thanks again guys !! Will let you know how it goes !!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I HAVE been able to get us a SECURE PARKING area near our starting point. We can use the yard at Hela Ventures just off hwy 11 on the Horburg road, they have said it will be a SMALL fee for watching our trucks (about $5 per truck) is what they where thinking. I will know for sure on the cost soon. Yes Medler meeting at 9 am at the Petro Can gas/resturant on June 6 will work fine.

Awesome good work that will be great Thanks Hadster

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I had a AWESOME day of riding, yestaerday. We parked at the camping area at the U-turn on the road where the toilets are (only 3 campers there) We hopped on the quads and went west on the old railline and ran into the iron trestle and took a few pictures of it (really cool). We went down the hill (really steep) and made it to the river. After we had lunch by the river, we crossed the stream (flowing really good)that feeds the North Sask. River and made it thru some trails and made it to a pipeline, we then went left and down to the river, turn back around and followed it all the way back to the gravel road that comes out to the hiway. (thank goodness that was a long ride when you don't know where you are going !!) But when we got back out to the hiway we saw where the old railline was and rode west all the way to Harleck campground. We rested in the ditch for awhile before heading back on the old railline, followed it all the way back to Saunder's. We stopped at the truck and then we went east thru the big ravines and found where Misty Valley is. Didn't spend much time over here but probably will next time.
Really glad I went for the day, saw lots of great country. I would have made a effort to take the RV trailer if I would have known how few people were camping there !! There was NO one camping even in the big open area on the way down to the river. And only one couple at the river and they were canoeing down the river and only parking there for the day.
I sure wish I had time off now for your big ride, as I would love to see more of this country. I think I like it better than Chamber's Creek even though you have to drive a little farther down the road.

FyreRyder

Reaction score
Don't try to camp there during a long weekend. I understand you can hardly move there are so many people out there.

Chambers creek is a little restricted in the trail options. Out at Saunders you could bike for a week straight and never hit the same trail twice.

If you have future plans to ride out there post it here and I will try to make the trip. We now have two grizzleys so I should be able to get out even more now if my wife comes...

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds good thanks Hadster, who else coming on this trip is planning on bringing a trailor?

2 of us coming for sure.:beer::beer:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I think that motel with a good meal ,hot shower and booze will work just fine for me.Is anyone else gonna have a few pops after the ride is over ??

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that motel with a good meal ,hot shower and booze will work just fine for me.Is anyone else gonna have a few pops after the ride is over ??
Just this one than one more and thats it...lol, should be a good trip hope its not raining:d

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
So if anyone needs to get a hold of me from now till we meet in rocky that morning my # is (403)651-7893 (cell)

Riskinator

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. Years ago I had a Sportsman 500 HO which I sold after a couple of seasons due to other priorities. Well... I decided I'd like to get away from the city again and just bought (haven't picked it up yet) a new RZR LE. I live in Calgary but have a place at Sylvan where I plan to go hit the trails around Rocky, etc. when I can. However, I do not know any good trails yet. Hence my writing here.....

I pick up the machine on June 5 (can't do it before then). I obviously won't be ready for a 16 hour round trip overnight ride, but I was wondering if you gentlemen would mind if I joined you for a few hours one way. I'd then turn around and head back. That would be a decent "shakedown" initial ride for the machine. I'll be taking it easy and try to break it in... but I'm obviously anxious to get it on a trail.

So... if it's okay I'd like to meet up with you guys on Saturday and ride until noon or so. Where and when does everyone plan to meet?

BTW: I contacted Hadster via email the other day with some general inquires and he was very helpful. Thanks Hadster!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
It is a decent trail for engine break in .But sure come along if you want.You have a gps?Might need that ..

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
So i got a room on the main floor close to the gas station.The lady i talked to at hotel asked if we could tell her how many people were coming ROUGHLY.For supper and breakfast.Don't want to run out of food !!!!!!!!!!!!!!OR Booze.They might put more servers on for us for supper and breakfast.I told her i would do my best .SO if we can get a list of who is coming that would be great.PM me or Hadster.I can understand where she is coming from .And it is good cause i like to eat and drink

Top Bottom