Spring / Summer 2012 Railline ride to Nordegg

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaskwa owner. Sguasnachs sister

Confused? ...was that a compliment?

What happened Dean?? What time did you guys leave at?

We hit the trail at 9:20 yesterday morning. I broke down about 30km in (electical issues, no spark, no fuel) so we towed the quad back to the nearest RR and I doubled back with Hadster. Never rode passenger before and can't say I'd wannna do it again. Later, one of the guys blew a belt in his Canned-Ham which kokanee800 had a spare for. By the time we got to Nordegg, it was about 10:30 in the evening. This monring everyone rode back and I stayed back to catch a ride back to my truck and retreive my machine. Actually Drako99 didn't make the return trip either but that was just his own choice ...or so "the boss" tells him.

It was still a great trip, breakdowns and all. Thanks to Hadster, Kokanee800, and crew for showing us a good time.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the trail that rough? I thought it was an old rail line. You were missed on Saturday. Kevin, who rode with us at Goodfish came out. Found a lot of mud to say the least.

Drako99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a great ride, few hic ups but all around a blast... minus the hail! Holy Fawk

Yes its true we bowed out of the ride back... for a few reasons. Would have loved to go but in the end I think the right call was made... took me 4.5 hours to friggen clean that machine once home, and now gotta fix my front end and gonna check out a few other things.

This trip did teach me to bring a spare belt and vehicle specific tools for next time though haha, and plenty of gloves

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the trail that rough? I thought it was an old rail line. You were missed on Saturday. Kevin, who rode with us at Goodfish came out. Found a lot of mud to say the least.

The trail wans't too rough, but the rail line near Misty Vally had small washouts across the trail every once in a while that you can't really see until you're practically on top of them. It was hailing like a son-of-a-b and it was getting late so we were flying down that trail trying to get to the hotel before the kitchen closed. ...I trusted Hadley, but it's real easy to forget about one or two of those washouts which had me white knuckling it that whole section of trail.

joeweasel

Reaction score
Good to hear everone had a safe ride.

How was the trail from Saunders to Nordegg?

My daughter wants to go for a ride and both of us have minimal experience. I get out once a year if I am lucky.
I was on last years spring ride and thought we could stage at Saunders and ride to Nordegg and back without too many sketchy sections.

Is the North side of the highway ok? I recall bridges were installed and then moved.

Thanks

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear everone had a safe ride.

How was the trail from Saunders to Nordegg?

My daughter wants to go for a ride and both of us have minimal experience. I get out once a year if I am lucky.
I was on last years spring ride and thought we could stage at Saunders and ride to Nordegg and back without too many sketchy sections.

Is the North side of the highway ok? I recall bridges were installed and then moved.

Thanks
With minimum experience the only spot that comes to mind is just as you leave Saunders and start up the hill onto the railline. Just that hill use 4x4 low range & go slow & easy, lean yourself to the high side, you should do fine. The rest is a nice relaxing drive with good scenery. Do not try the north side of the hwy until the bridges get repaired / replaced.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u guys ever find out who removed the bridges and reason why?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yer right, would be nice to know though, someone had a reason i think. took a lot of time, equipment and manpower.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u guys ever find out who removed the bridges and reason why?
No it's still a mystery, many different levels of SRD have said they did not do it (and would rather they where still there)!
We have ideas of some possiblities but nothing, all evidence says it was a helicopter.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it's still a mystery, many different levels of SRD have said they did not do it (and would rather they where still there)!
We have ideas of some possiblities but nothing, all evidence says it was a helicopter.

guess it is what it is, someone with some cash, time and equipment thought the bridges would be better elsewhere. sure makes way less of a mess with a bridge over nasty muddy areas.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this one of those bridges? ...is is possible they just got washed out last spring?

Attachments

• P5112805.jpg
    P5112805.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 133

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was another good ride thanks all, too bad there wasnt the full group on the way back,
i dont know how to downsize my black berry pics i took to upload them:confused: more scenic pics anyways, i couldnt get the ones of Trent flying in the air or into a tree stump on the way back or most of the stucks "the muddy way lol"...and the hail.
FYI- i reset the hour trip when we left and it read 8.5 hours when we got back to the trucks, lol put on 164 km's (included pulling dead grizzlys into the bush:p)
nice to meet some new people again and look forward to this ride again or any other in between if i can make it.

Later "coors light 800"

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was another good ride thanks all, too bad there wasnt the full group on the way back,
i dont know how to downsize my black berry pics i took to upload them:confused: more scenic pics anyways, i couldnt get the ones of Trent flying in the air or into a tree stump on the way back or most of the stucks "the muddy way lol"...and the hail.
FYI- i reset the hour trip when we left and it read 8.5 hours when we got back to the trucks, lol put on 164 km's (included pulling dead grizzlys into the bush:p)
nice to meet some new people again and look forward to this ride again or any other in between if i can make it.

Later "coors light 800"

the muddy way back is the best way ....... that could be just me tho...

Top Bottom