The next trip on the old rail-line Rocky to Nordegg.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I geuss it's time to start planning for the next trip on the old railine. Since it was really enjoyed on April 18th i'm sure this one will be popular. This one will be all the way from Horburg to Nordegg (approx. 120km one way), we will book rooms in Nordegg at the hotel (approx. $100. for a room with 2 people in it.) and return to our trucks on the next day.
First we have to come up with suitable dates, my thoughts was for June sometime. June 6 & 7 , June 13 & 14 (Robb rally is on the 13th) , June 20 & 21 (21 is father's day). Considering many could be going to the Robb rally & many may have family plans on father's day, could June 6 & 7 work out for the majority of you???? I'm very flexible with dates and could easily push it off 'till July or August as well, but then many have vacation plans at that time.
I will let you all post your choice for the date until about May 12 or so, then try to choose the date that most can make it.

Happy Trails
Hadster

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I'd probably be into something like that. We try and do at least a few "Over Nighters" on quads every year but usually just set up camp with whatever you can fit in your quad box. Hotel would be OK too minus the big Fire and the half night party. :)

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right now id have to say June 6-7, sounds like a it could be a great trip, let me know

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey hadster I would be in whatever date it be, last trip was good so double the miles = triple the fun. Is there a Pub in Nordegg:beer:

Might have to tent it in the bush...:)

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Hey hadster I would be in whatever date it be, last trip was good so double the miles = triple the fun. Is there a Pub in Nordegg:beer:

Might have to tent it in the bush...:)

Ya there is a rest/ lounge.Ya maybe we should tent in the Bush??????????????jUNE 6& 7 WORK FOR ME

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to tent it in the bush as well, however with all the emergency gear that i carry with me at all times, my boxes are full and have no room to bring any camping gear. The big fire and half the night party does sound nice though, as long as the weather was good.
Plus a shower after the day of riding is pretty nice, there is another option, there are some cabin rentals in the area as well (at about the same type of cost as the hotel). But i'm not sure how many are available.
Yes there is a pub and off sales in the same building as the hotel, and yes everyone is welcome to come along.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to do a ride like this. :d:dI riden the rail line quite a few times AND LOVE IT !!!!! I rode from Chamber's to Horburg and the up the rail line to the old Caboose and then west to the gravel road that comes down from the Highway at the Jack Fish lake road. We try go more west but ran into a huge drop off at a train tressel not far from the gravel road. You can make it from the gravel road to Saunder's ???? I haven't made it any futher west than this so I would love this ride!! I will keep watching so as to hopefully not to miss this !! :d

FyreRyder

Reaction score
A buddy and I were talking about an overnight trip down the rail line. So I would be interested. I am still talking about our last trip... what a blast.

Dont forget extra fuel.....

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once you pick the date I will jump on board,Would rather do it a little later as the nights are warmer,Not sure if June 5 and 6 would work for me.Cant please everyone but I will do my best no matter what date you pick.
catmando!

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to do a ride like this. :d:dI riden the rail line quite a few times AND LOVE IT !!!!! I rode from Chamber's to Horburg and the up the rail line to the old Caboose and then west to the gravel road that comes down from the Highway at the Jack Fish lake road. We try go more west but ran into a huge drop off at a train tressel not far from the gravel road. You can make it from the gravel road to Saunder's ???? I haven't made it any futher west than this so I would love this ride!! I will keep watching so as to hopefully not to miss this !! :d

Yes Bullseye i've spent tons of time out there exploring, bush wacking & trail clearing/building etc. To date i know of about 3 different ways to go from jackfish rd. to Saunders ( 1 way goes through the privately owned land of Misty Valley, so i do not go that way). That huge drop off you speak of isn't too bad if you know how to go through, but not long after the trail is fallen into the river and later is dead ended by fences etc. So i have found some bypass routes, some of it involves a little muskeg going around Misty Valley (but not too bad). I have another shorter more direct route through that area in mind, but do not know yet if it will be possible (hope to find out this summer).

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you pick the date I will jump on board,Would rather do it a little later as the nights are warmer,Not sure if June 5 and 6 would work for me.Cant please everyone but I will do my best no matter what date you pick.
catmando!

I had also thought about a bit later, but with the Robb rally, then father's day, and then the last weekend of the month is a bit close to the July 1st holiday. I wanted to stay away from july becuase many have summer holiday plans & of course our summer camp out. I'm not sure when else we could do it, unless we push it back to Aug. or Sept.????
So far it looks like most are good with June 6 & 7.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not really familiar with the area what the nearest city so i can figure out where your talking about me and da wife may be intrested in this any time in june is fine i agree with catmando later is better for tenting

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is west of Rocky Mountain House ,from here to Nordegg. Between 2 & 3 hrs drive southwest of Edmonton (depending on how fast you drive, just under an hr straight west of Red Deer.

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy and I were talking about an overnight trip down the rail line. So I would be interested. I am still talking about our last trip... what a blast.

Dont forget extra fuel.....

Yes fuel would be good, had enough left in the tank from last trip to back it down the ramps and she ran out 60 feet from the shop lol:beer:

Yes 6 and 7th would be great.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I can get time off Im in as Well!
catmando!

Top Bottom