Technical Riding competition

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a blast! Where and when? Im on the same page as Maxwell...weekends only so hopefully not too far away...

hihi962

Reaction score
Just trying to be unbiased, but how do you keep it fair? or repeatable? for example, if you have a nice big rock in the middle of the course or some sweet cornice and the first 1 or 2 guys burn a donut around it or down jumps it to score some points.. doesn't it kinda mess it up for the next guys? how do they get the same opportunity to score such obviously available points?
sometimes there are only a few lines you can pick...
riding up hill through the trees is quite normal for some of us groups, but perhaps if you made it more technical like the guy has to perform certian manouvers:
-like doing a nut on a steep grade during the routine
-bringing the sled to a hill stall and still being able to turn out
-doing rodeo's or interesting tricks on sharp hill rises

i like the idea, just had a few thoughts about it.
was also just wondering how this doesn't turn into a rally race where guys get hurt going as fast as they can through a course in the trees? because if it was timmed, I know some would just follow the one or two broken trails and blow the doors off the previous riders time who just broke the trail.

just ideas??

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya thats why the course basically just needs to be setup not based on points but perhaps timed with factor or even just if you actually make it to the top you advance.

because if setup right there should be alot of riders that may not make it through the course i would assume

hihi962

Reaction score
i hear ya, thats a good call, would make it more fair. maybe a few volunteers to add snow/maintain the odd area of the track that gets polished off.. kinda how like ski jumping or down hill mogels courses are.
possibly there could be a few of those pole markers used so the tree huggers aren't complaining we're killing all the pine beetle habitats, and this way spectators can see the event? I know I can't see through trees very well.
but kinda starting to sound like the snocross events, no? just going up hill instead of roundy round.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats why we kinda decided on more of just a gathering of friends in the trees kinda thing send oler1234 a pm of your email and contact info and we will try and get something going we are thinking of just getting some coordinates of areas that have never been really touched and try and break into them! the competition is a good idea but may be to hard to organize and make it actually fly a solid ride with a good group of guys would be amazing to do every couple of weeks

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hear ya, thats a good call, would make it more fair. maybe a few volunteers to add snow/maintain the odd area of the track that gets polished off.. kinda how like ski jumping or down hill mogels courses are.
possibly there could be a few of those pole markers used so the tree huggers aren't complaining we're killing all the pine beetle habitats, and this way spectators can see the event? I know I can't see through trees very well.
but kinda starting to sound like the snocross events, no? just going up hill instead of roundy round.

who cares if spectators can see the event? In a perfect world the only spectators that are there are the other riders and if they can't see what line other people are using then that's even better, makes everyone have to choose their own route, not poach someone else's line they watched from the bottom.

Also, no timing IMO, just have a few "observers" on the course to mark points for technical route/ability, then confirm that by letting the other riders pick the guy with the most technical line, majority rules. Stay in bounds and ride the most technical line you can. Running order is determined by name draw out of a hat. Have 2 "courses" marked, make it two runs and run the rider order in reverse the second time on the fresh course so the guys who got a beat course in round 1, get first tracks in round 2. That's about as fair as it gets.

I don't see timing working on a technical run, because you may choose slower lines with way more difficulty than someone with a faster line but you will be penalized for it. If the "judges" scorecards match the "rider" favourite at the end, then award a winner, if there are some tiebreakers - let the judges hash it out or put it to rider vote. Most guys are willing to admit if someone has a better line than them, and if there are no prizes, no trophies, etc, then there's no reason for conflict. Too much politics and this will fail.

I've been involved in racing my whole life and I can tell you that nothing kills an event faster than having prize money or some "title" that someone has to win, because once there is something tangible to "win", it eventually ends in a "dispute", and the politics that go along with having to settle disputes are what make everyone walk away from it.

If the riders that show up to this, understand its just a fun ride for the day, and they might have the best "technical" line that specific day.... but someone, somewhere, someday can (and will) do better....it will work. If some egomaniac with a high zoot sled who can't ride worth crap, shows up and goes straight up the hill, then insists that his line was the most technical and he should "win", maybe he doesn't get the email about the next one.

hihi962

Reaction score
I like Jareds/Modmans ideas, low key, more fun, and no real hard rules... but we do this normally. whats really fun/funny is when you put two guys head to head and each guy tries to get to the top first and pick the sweetest lines.. it's pretty funny when you are going only 10mph in the deep, side x side, trying to get ahead of the other guy as you flip him the bird quickly.. haha! every 4-5 seconds you see him just on the other side of a tree or two and try get ahead, you get pretty pumped.
sounds like you guys are into my style of riding, I like it! doing those 1 mile long hill climbs gets boring after a while..

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your exactly rite you can only go up and down the mountain so many times you need to mix it up out there wich is why I'm loving the sound of this whole idea just a fun group ride that lets everyone compete you dont need to have a ton of money into a sled to win or have fun here! just some boys and there toys out playing in the snow having a friendly competiton or maybe make the prize a free dinner or your hotel room paid for at the end of the thing something small but still a cool thing to look forward to if you do come out on top! and yeah i can dmit when i get beat on a line in fact i love to see it love watching people push themselves and doing some incredible things!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Less talk more action, everyones got the basic idea. Send me a pm with ur email so i can get a email list goin and well find some good spots. Got 2 ppl so far, i know there is more than that.

rsw84

Reaction score
This is wicked guys looks like everyone should be sending Oler e-mail address's if they are legitimately interested !!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wanted to say thanks to rsw84 for riding with me in fernie today we had a great day and gotta say man can that boy ride he is the true winner off the whole thing for having a broken back dude you slayed some gnarly lines out there ill ride with you anyday Ryan!

rsw84

Reaction score
just wanted to say thanks to rsw84 for riding with me in fernie today we had a great day and gotta say man can that boy ride he is the true winner off the whole thing for having a broken back dude you slayed some gnarly lines out there ill ride with you anyday Ryan!

Thanks for taking me out Jared, it was gnarly... even the four hour stuck :eek: haha i'll eat the crow for that one !!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ryan there is no worries for you to eat the crow on anything I went down the area that ended up in us getting stuck. the best part was we always had a smile on our faces and it was never a dull moment give me acall next time you are around we will rip it up again. that line you did that i had to turn out of before we got stuck was insane :beer:

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love this comp...just make sure Burandt shows up

why do we to make sure he shows up? Should we make sure Rasmussen is there too? :confused: No thanks, don't need a headliner to draw a crowd, I'm fairly certain these guys can ride.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey for the guys that were seriously interested did you pm oler1234 he has been sending out some great info and some amazing spots have been mapped to do some riding. He posted a few and I have posted a few and beleive me the ones we have posted you dont wanna miss out on! and yeah i'm fairly confident the group of guys we have are gonna be quite an amazing group of riders cant wait guys gonna be real fun :d

SlednecksBrown

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
ridewithchrisbrown.com
why do we to make sure he shows up? Should we make sure Rasmussen is there too? :confused: No thanks, don't need a headliner to draw a crowd, I'm fairly certain these guys can ride.

my bad...I thought it was a competition to see who the best technical rider was...and a lot of people seem to think it's him.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hes good dont get us wrong i wish i could ride like him forsure but its mostly now turned into a friendly invite thing between people on here to try some new areas and just have a good time

Top Bottom