Attending the Jackson Hole Hill climb and riding in the area after - Recommendations

Dryden29

Reaction score
We are heading down to Jackson Hole area next Thursday to attend the Hill climb and then sticking around to ride the area on the March 25th / 26th.

Thinking the Continental Divide / Togwotte Pass area.

Taking our own sleds and setup for the Wyoming elevation. Have been riding 25 + years in the back country , AST1, etc.

Anyone have some recommendations or advice on riding areas in that region, possible guide recommendations, contacts for riding area information?

Will just buy our Wyoming permits when we are down there.

Thanks!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll be there but riding before the hill climbs and then leaving the day after the finals, been trying to research some stuff as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dryden29

Reaction score
I have been looking through www.alpinesledders.com site for some information. Also looking through some rental shop sites and guide/tour sites.

Called Bucky's Polaris out of Pinedale, Wyoming just south of JH to see if they had any contacts for guiding.

Not sure if we need to have a guide, but don't want to waste alot of time searching the riding areas. Hopefully their maps , staging and access into areas are laid out in reasonable detail.

Did you buy your lift passes yet for Snow King for accessing the upper sections of the hill climb? I see on their website you can buy for Saturday, but Sunday is blocked out for some reason.

Website said that you can only purchase passes for the hill climb at the gate. Nothing online at this time.

We aren't leaving Camrose area until Thursday lunch so will be into JH later on Friday. Attending Saturday/Sunday.

Will feed information as I find out anything interesting.

Wouldn't mind touching base with you before the end of the hill climb weekend if that's ok. Might be able to get some good intel for our Monday/Tuesday riding.

Thanks.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been looking through www.alpinesledders.com site for some information. Also looking through some rental shop sites and guide/tour sites.

Called Bucky's Polaris out of Pinedale, Wyoming just south of JH to see if they had any contacts for guiding.

Not sure if we need to have a guide, but don't want to waste alot of time searching the riding areas. Hopefully their maps , staging and access into areas are laid out in reasonable detail.

Did you buy your lift passes yet for Snow King for accessing the upper sections of the hill climb? I see on their website you can buy for Saturday, but Sunday is blocked out for some reason.

Website said that you can only purchase passes for the hill climb at the gate. Nothing online at this time.

We aren't leaving Camrose area until Thursday lunch so will be into JH later on Friday. Attending Saturday/Sunday.

Will feed information as I find out anything interesting.

Wouldn't mind touching base with you before the end of the hill climb weekend if that's ok. Might be able to get some good intel for our Monday/Tuesday riding.

Thanks.

From what I saw on the snow devils site is that no online sales, must purchase passes in person for each day or the weekend warrior pass. I’ll be leaving Tuesday morning from Whitecourt at 4am, has is arriving there Tuesday evening and riding Wednesday and Friday. Wanna watch the Thursday vintage class and the am classes

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to work over in Pinedale and went thru JH couple times a month and if hill climb was on we would just go watch. Never an issue getting tickets. Thursday was the best with amateur qualifying for and the crashes were spectacular. There are a couple riding zones on way out of JH towards Pinedale. Staging right beside hi way. If your staying in JH. Pricey town though.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to work over in Pinedale and went thru JH couple times a month and if hill climb was on we would just go watch. Never an issue getting tickets. Thursday was the best with amateur qualifying for and the crashes were spectacular. There are a couple riding zones on way out of JH towards Pinedale. Staging right beside hi way. If your staying in JH. Pricey town though.

Thx for the info, Im staying at the elk refuge inn just on the north side of town. Been a trip I’ve wanted to do since I was a kid so taking my dad down, should be a blast

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the place On the way out to airport. You can see the little ski hill Snow King where the hill climb is from it but too far to walk. You will enjoy. The pit area, beer gardens etc. ar the base are quite cool. It is wort what ever they charge to take the gondola up cause up top is where the ch!t shows happen. lol

Keep going north to Moran and then east a bit to Togwotee (about an hour) would put you in some good riding

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are watching the hill climbs, go early and volunteer to be a sled catcher. Free lift ticket and lunch and best seat in the house.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are watching the hill climbs, go early and volunteer to be a sled catcher. Free lift ticket and lunch and best seat in the house.

Tried convincing dad to do that but he’s stubborn lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fk me , wife had a plan to go for my b day to watch j.h , but might need the cash to Finnish shop this summer

Been on the bucket list for years to go , but I said not this year with the price of chit

Do have a plan in Aug to go to w.a and watch street out laws, will see where shop building gets too this summer

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Dryden29

Reaction score
TMO1620 - We are staying at the Super 8 in town just south of the ski hill. I saw that Elk Refuge and just about stayed there, but tried a few times and left messages and no response back so just moved on to the next accommodations. Yes, that is a pricey town from my checking around on rates!!

There is just 2 in our group this year. Me the old, short , fat 61 year old dad and my son - in - law. My son wanted to come as well, but had a family wedding on his girlfriend's side to attend that weekend so he is SOL. Gives me a reason to go back in 2025!!

I to will pass on catching out of control sleds for the obvious above outlined reason!! Also, really would like to ride after the hill climb!

bobsledder - Appreciate the information on riding area options. Would we expect to find reasonable information to get beforehand and/or signage for the staging area / riding area? Either research before hand as we are trying to do or network when we get to town?

Our Western Canada riding areas I would say have a really good network of information and once you decide riding area, you can access information for more detail. I have not yet found a club site that outlines details on riding and staging areas in Wyoming. Clubs / organizations in Vale / Blue / McBride / Golden / Revy / Sicamous are really good in my opinion. Those our our primary riding areas each year.

Don't have a Wyoming map in my hand yet, but Moran is north of JH and heading to Pinedale is south. Correct??

Thanks again for any input!

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TMO1620 - We are staying at the Super 8 in town just south of the ski hill. I saw that Elk Refuge and just about stayed there, but tried a few times and left messages and no response back so just moved on to the next accommodations. Yes, that is a pricey town from my checking around on rates!!

There is just 2 in our group this year. Me the old, short , fat 61 year old dad and my son - in - law. My son wanted to come as well, but had a family wedding on his girlfriend's side to attend that weekend so he is SOL. Gives me a reason to go back in 2025!!

I to will pass on catching out of control sleds for the obvious above outlined reason!! Also, really would like to ride after the hill climb!

bobsledder - Appreciate the information on riding area options. Would we expect to find reasonable information to get beforehand and/or signage for the staging area / riding area? Either research before hand as we are trying to do or network when we get to town?

Our Western Canada riding areas I would say have a really good network of information and once you decide riding area, you can access information for more detail. I have not yet found a club site that outlines details on riding and staging areas in Wyoming. Clubs / organizations in Vale / Blue / McBride / Golden / Revy / Sicamous are really good in my opinion. Those our our primary riding areas each year.

Don't have a Wyoming map in my hand yet, but Moran is north of JH and heading to Pinedale is south. Correct??

Yes Moran is North and the riding areas I saw heading towards Pinedale were not to far past the turn at Hoeback junction. Easy to see as staging is right beside the hiway. Fellows I chatted with in the staging area said they are old horse trails heading to alpine. Not a managed groomed area. I believe you will get lots of info for staging areas at the hillclimb event. Lots of vendors and tour operators set up when I was there.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just two of us as well, me and my 58 year old dad.

Dryden29

Reaction score
tmo 1620 - What elevation are you setting up for when you are riding this week??

bobsledder - Would you know what elevation the riding areas are around JH?? The ones you have suggested.

I am guessing in the 9000' range. Or more??

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tmo 1620 - What elevation are you setting up for when you are riding this week??

bobsledder - Would you know what elevation the riding areas are around JH?? The ones you have suggested.

I am guessing in the 9000' range. Or more??
The valley there is aroung 6800 feet. Peaks are over 10000 For example summit of JH ski area is something like 10500 feet. Togwotee pass is around 9600 so you will be riding 8000/9000 on average I would think.

Dryden29

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Factory high elevation setup for the 23' 850 Poo here in Western Canada is 68 gms. Says it covers up to 9000'. Pulls in the 8150 rpm range here in most of our riding areas at 5500 - 7500 so will start with the 68s and bring along 66 gms.

Thanks again!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got to Jackson, riding tomorrow up on togwotee I think, thinking we’ll be around 9500’. Running a turbo so not worried about clutching, my dad is on an 850 na doo, he’ll be clicker 1

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow is not spectacular but great weather and scenery
da44dd85a1dd8b812a8b9322998035ba.jpg

7d2bb2bb0da4f186eca4748e2c2dcc7d.jpg

18f55a9cdc5500c8e9d081240454bd47.jpg

c9923392f761bcf948ba30b246394367.jpg

Dryden29

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and pics!

We left sleds setup for up to 9000' for now and have weights along to drop a couple grams if needed.

I assume your at the hill climb right now.

We are just heading out early afternoon today from Camrose area.

Just in time to hit the new and blowing snow out on the highways!!

Hopefully catch up with you guys at the hill climb!

Top Bottom