Bad snow but great time!

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headed to Mcbride Renshaw area on March 1st to ride with some friends. The snow was hard and tracked out everywhere, we made it 2 or 3 ranges past spirit lake and found a little snow. It was a great blue bird day with good group of riders. Well on the way out hit some icy patches on a hill and rolled sled and just the way it went over busted the handle bars. Lets say that was an exciting trip up a couple passes and down 28 kms of trail to get back to the trucks with the handle bars like that! The next day I went to Alpine country rentals and was treated like a king. Sold me handle bars, heating pads and grips for a very reasonable price and even installed the heated grips for me on the handle bars. Even though they have a sign saying they won't lend tools they borrowed me a small pin tool for changing out the heated grip wiring, Very much appreciated as the next day riding was -20 and would have been very cold on the hands without them.

That night there was 10 of us taking the AST 1 course with Curtis from Frozen Pirates snow services! The majority of the guys where from Bonnyville/Cold lake area, but some where from Kelowna, Red deer, and Spruce Grove. We had guys with 2 days riding experience to guys with 20 yrs, and everyone had a great time and learnt a lot. The course was very informative and a must for everyone! Even if you have had it before, it doesn't hurt to get a refresher every once in a while. Curtis was an excellent teacher with a wealth of knowledge! He set the course up to meet our time frame and we even had supper delivered to us and ate as he taught the course. The next day was the field day. Started out very cold at -20 without the wind. We all made it up the hill, some needed more time then others with some heating issues! (snow flaps help)lol. After seeing all the guys in action in the mock rescues and beacon searching, I wouldn't hesitate to ride with anyone from our group. Some were a little slower climbing in the snow then others, haha I won't mention names! All in all it was a great trip with very bad riding conditions. Any day riding or being out in the mountains is a million times better then working!

Thanks to Alpine rentals and the town of Valemount for the great hotels and resturants.

Frozen Pirates snow services is highly recommended and Thanks again Curtis! image-11.jpg image-11 copy 4.jpg image-11 copy 3.jpg image-11 copy.jpg image.jpg image-11 copy 2.jpg

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever bust handlebars like that again, a branch or shovel handle and lots of duct tape will do the trick until you can get them fixed.... Jus sayin.... Ask maxwell ;)

Thanks, They only busted after I loaded it and tried to bend them back up. They don't bend the other way! lol

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep pretty good time id have to say! AST 1 is the best money spent yet, Curtis was an excellent teacher and I recommend him to anyone wanting to take the course.

Top Bottom