Skidoo Dealers-Good and bad!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Good thing I got off early today to read and follow this thread!

Go hard guys, just filled up the popcorn maker and butter is warming..

Ah, just cracked another beer to watch this evenings show!

Duke, Duke, Duck Duck.... LOL!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't hear anyone asking for favours, just fair pricing on parts. How much does BRP charge you for spark plugs? Ever price them out anywhere else? Why are NGK plugs $20 at the dealer and $5 at Napa? Same plugs, not even gapped correctly for BRP. Jeesh you'd think at 150% mark up that they could gap the darn thing for ya......:rolleyes:

Why does a piston for my Cat cost 1/2 as much as the one for my Doo?

Guess you never questioned why your sled costs about 30% less in the states than it did in Canada? Might want to look that up.

Like I said, when you have to replace a belt, don't come crying. You can spend all the money you want at your local dealer. Pay full price for everything. I don't see anyone here trying to stop you.

I guess its a personal choice about what you'd rather have - a red nose from being a clown.......or a red @$$hole from being screwed.

right on couldn't have said it better.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I have a Doo, and even I agree with the above LOL...(I still like it though, and and willing to bite my tounge instead of complaining...)

AND...I am a big fan of MY dealer, Mr R's in Lethbridge!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Doo, and even I agree with the above LOL...(I still like it though, and and willing to bite my tounge instead of complaining...)

AND...I am a big fan of MY dealer, Mr R's in Lethbridge!!!

Yep, Loved dealing with Mr.R's in the past. Its too bad that Motortech won't come back as well. :( 2 of the best Doo dealers out there IMO.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The better a place treats me the more I will spend there. I don't have a problem spending a little more if the service is good and the price is fair. What about the guys that buy a used sled and need to take it in and are told by a dealer we will get to it when we get to it. Doesn't really make you feel warm and fuzzy about going there again.

And I don't have a problem taking my sled back to where I purchased it for service. I'm 20 - 30 minutes from a dealership in the city anyways.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The better a place treats me the more I will spend there. I don't have a problem spending a little more if the service is good and the price is fair. What about the guys that buy a used sled and need to take it in and are told by a dealer we will get to it when we get to it. Doesn't really make you feel warm and fuzzy about going there again.

And I don't have a problem taking my sled back to where I purchased it for service. I'm 20 - 30 minutes from a dealership in the city anyways.

I just don't want to be lied too....... Currently raising 4 kids 2 of which are looking at university in the next couple of years, I can't afford to buy new sleds at this point in time.... But when the time comes to buy new I will decide who I buy from based on who provided me with the best service and advise while trying to keep my older sleds running..... I'm sure glad I'm a member on this forum and have freinds who know what they are talking about otherwise I'd be looking at a $2000 rebuild in which case my sled would have been parted out..... Anything cat/yamaha related will be done thru T&T, Bonnyville may be a little of a drive but the service and pricing makes up for it........ Far as ski-doo goes I'm still up in the air but I know where I WON'T be dealing..............

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll cut you some slack on the fuel line. :D Yes parts girl told me the same thing when I went in there (that only 2 ppl have ever asked for it), but she didn't say that supplier was out, just that you didn't have it in stock because no one ever asks for it. I can't believe that no one changes fuel line. I change mine annually.

You did have main jets when I called yesterday, so far so good, just need to find out if you have spark plugs and belts next..... :D

I've had good luck. Dare I even say fair prices too?

So far jets, belts, and plugs have been in stock. These items you expect to be in stock simply because they are wear items (jets don't take up much room).

I'll admit, so far Bow South has been the only dealership I have supported. For my bikes I normally order form the states. (KTM/Aprilia)

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I don't hear anyone asking for favours, just fair pricing on parts. How much does BRP charge you for spark plugs? Ever price them out anywhere else? Why are NGK plugs $20 at the dealer and $5 at Napa? Same plugs, not even gapped correctly for BRP. Jeesh you'd think at 150% mark up that they could gap the darn thing for ya......:rolleyes:

Why does a piston for my Cat cost 1/2 as much as the one for my Doo?

Guess you never questioned why your sled costs about 30% less in the states than it did in Canada? Might want to look that up.

Like I said, when you have to replace a belt, don't come crying. You can spend all the money you want at your local dealer. Pay full price for everything. I don't see anyone here trying to stop you.

I guess its a personal choice about what you'd rather have - a red nose from being a clown.......or a red @$$hole from being screwed.

A..... All brp's plugs have have different part numbers for different sleds because they are gapped properly... not including them banging around getting shipped... which would happen anywhere.
B...... The MOST.... abostoly MOST expensive plug brp has is 11 dollars... So stop blowing things out of proportion for a pat on the back. "quote" "Like I said, when you have to replace a belt, don't come crying." Bud....... Im not the one crying... haha quot "Why does a piston for my Cat cost 1/2 as much as the one for my Doo?" Thats like asking why a kia is cheaper than a ferarri. Beat it!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Told by West Edmonton Ski-doo dealer (118 ave & 177-ish st) that my head on my 670 was toast and needed to be replaced, just so happens BRP has ONE left in the warehouse for $620, and that will probably be the last as they will not be making them anymore.... kinda scared me a little but I held off.
Got opinions from brother in-law, buddy who builds these things and other S&M members who say my head is fine, clean it up and bolt it on.... I was told by the dealership in order to re-use it I would have to have it machined and shaved......
I understand they would like to sell me the part, but why is the popular opinion of "guys who know" so extremely differen't from that of 3 of BRP's tec's???????
I trust the guys I talked to which can only lead me to assume I can't trust the opinions of the tec's......

and what exactly in your mind or your engien builder buddys minds tells you that a severely pitted cylinder head is good for fuel atomization and performance? if head is severely pitted get rid of it. especially yours. i saw it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
and what exactly in your mind or your engien builder buddys minds tells you that a severely pitted cylinder head is good for fuel atomization and performance? if head is severely pitted get rid of it. especially yours. i saw it.

I was told buy a few different people who have inspected the head first hand that given the fact that there is no "major" pitting just surface abraison that I am safe to clean it up with an emery brush and re-use it.
I had the discussion about atomization and was told that so long as the contour of the bowl is not changed I should have no issues with it....

From looking at it I was concerned thats why I asked the tech's. But poular opinion has been if I clean it up it will cause me no issues.......

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A..... All brp's plugs have have different part numbers for different sleds because they are gapped properly... not including them banging around getting shipped... which would happen anywhere.
B...... The MOST.... abostoly MOST expensive plug brp has is 11 dollars... So stop blowing things out of proportion for a pat on the back. "quote" "Like I said, when you have to replace a belt, don't come crying." Bud....... Im not the one crying... haha quot "Why does a piston for my Cat cost 1/2 as much as the one for my Doo?" Thats like asking why a kia is cheaper than a ferarri. Beat it!

Is anyone forcing you to read this thread?

Thanks for the opinion though......

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Is anyone forcing you to read this thread?

Thanks for the opinion though......

Is anyone forcing you to reply?
The only thing forcing me to read this thread is the people making everyone look SOOOOOO bad with all these exaggerations and lies. . Im more or less saying... the people up here that are telling everyone they saved 1500 hundred dollars buying a sled somehwere else.... Other than the fact that is total bs and anyone witha brian would know that. Maybe between like a 10x and a 08 eversest or something.... Your steering other people away from places that they may really like.. So before you put something like that up here consider what your doing. Just becuase you want to drive way across the province to buy a sled and save some money... doesnt mean its a good idea. So stop making it sound like all local dealers bend you over because you all know theres now way someone could sell you an identical sled for 1500 dollars cheaper than the next place... NOT POSSIBLE! Give people a chance to make up thier own mind about places before you trash them to peices. Who is going to want to walk into a place that charges thousands of dollars more for a same sled than the next place...........

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
The only thing forcing me to read this thread is the people making everyone look SOOOOOO bad with all these exaggerations and lies. Thanks for your opinion tho.

You don't happen to work at or own one of the dealers that someone has posted about, do you?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The only thing forcing me to read this thread is the people making everyone look SOOOOOO bad with all these exaggerations and lies. . Im more or less saying... the people up here that are telling everyone they saved 1500 hundred dollars buying a sled somehwere else.... Other than the fact that is total bs and anyone witha brian would know that. Maybe between like a 10x and a 08 eversest or something.... Your steering other people away from places that they may really like.. So before you put something like that up here consider what your doing. Just becuase you want to drive way across the province to buy a sled and save some money... doesnt mean its a good idea. So stop making it sound like all local dealers bend you over because you all know theres now way someone could sell you an identical sled for 1500 dollars cheaper than the next place... NOT POSSIBLE! Give people a chance to make up thier own mind about places before you trash them to peices. Who is going to want to walk into a place that charges thousands of dollars more for a same sled than the next place...........

I need to get myself a Brian..............:eek:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing forcing me to read this thread is the people making everyone look SOOOOOO bad with all these exaggerations and lies. Thanks for your opinion tho.

What lies? How many spare plugs do you have to buy for an 800 twin? 2 right? Do the math at $8-10 each. No one here is lying, get over it and move on.

Pre-gap: NGK says it right on their website that its a common misconception that plugs come pre-gapped from the factory and that every plug should be gapped before installation. I believe there was a bulletin from Doo stating that all "Pre-gapped" plugs should be gapped correctly since the factory specs were out from 0.018 to 0.020 thou, with the exception of the ECS plugs due to the welded ground electrode. So apart from the ECS series plugs, all other pre-gapped plugs need to be re-gapped. All you have to do is look at the last # on the plug # BR9ECS - 5 is gapped to 0.5 mm, BR9ECS - 8 is gapped to 0.8 mm spec. Not rocket science. NGK standard gap is about 0.024 -0.025 thou. So a pre-gapped plug is worth how much when you still have to re-gap it? Again, only reason the pre-gaps came out was the ECS plugs and the welded ground electrode. So unless its an ECS plug....

Only thing forcing me to reply is some members and the verbal abuse calling people fools, clowns, goofs, etc.

Sorry but I take issue when someone says "Don't call the dealer a douche, you douche." Hypocritical? ummm....yeah.......

All this boo hooing about the boo hooing - GOT sand and bucket?

I'm not going bother with this anymore - two of the good dealers named in this thread (Mr. R's and Bow Cycle South) do not need any possible negativity associated with them.

Later kiddies! :cool:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does it make sense to be able to go to utah, idaho etc and be able to buy anew skidoo 8oo mtn. sled for 9400 and in canada you'll pay 14,000. please who is hosing who. the dealer in utah stated he may be able to trim a little more. that was in march of 09. we purchased 4 xp 154 evererest sleds for 6500 each, and local cdn dealer was 10500. please please explain who is hosing who. you can also call all the dealers for spring check and you will not get the same price at each. try it for yourself. i don't think us dealers sold that many more sleds than canadian dealers this year. yes i support my local dealer when i have to, but i can order the same part, wait the same time and still save some change.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does it make sense to be able to go to utah, idaho etc and be able to buy anew skidoo 8oo mtn. sled for 9400 and in canada you'll pay 14,000. please who is hosing who. the dealer in utah stated he may be able to trim a little more. that was in march of 09. we purchased 4 xp 154 evererest sleds for 6500 each, and local cdn dealer was 10500. please please explain who is hosing who. you can also call all the dealers for spring check and you will not get the same price at each. try it for yourself. i don't think us dealers sold that many more sleds than canadian dealers this year. yes i support my local dealer when i have to, but i can order the same part, wait the same time and still save some change.

whats warranty and service in your own town worth to you?:rolleyes:

a usa machine goes to the back of the line. with zero warranty

a skidoo mtn? everest x? same here or there? details

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats warranty and service in your own town worth to you?:rolleyes:

a usa machine goes to the back of the line. with zero warranty

a skidoo mtn? everest x? same here or there? details

thats what the $4-5000 in my pocket pays for, as most times you can't get warranty anyway. like some of the previous posts, any used sled or one from another dealer will go to the back of the line and thus is why i have tools, as when i repair it i know what has been done, unlike the 17 year old working at the stealership. if you have to order basic parts, you are no better than the internet, yes alot of parts you can't stock, but the wear items on order, come on get with the program. i think you may see more dealers hopefully the bad ones find some other thing to do. you want sales then get customer friendly.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
What lies? How many spare plugs do you have to buy for an 800 twin? 2 right? Do the math at $8-10 each. No one here is lying, get over it and move on.

Pre-gap: NGK says it right on their website that its a common misconception that plugs come pre-gapped from the factory and that every plug should be gapped before installation. I believe there was a bulletin from Doo stating that all "Pre-gapped" plugs should be gapped correctly since the factory specs were out from 0.018 to 0.020 thou, with the exception of the ECS plugs due to the welded ground electrode. So apart from the ECS series plugs, all other pre-gapped plugs need to be re-gapped. All you have to do is look at the last # on the plug # BR9ECS - 5 is gapped to 0.5 mm, BR9ECS - 8 is gapped to 0.8 mm spec. Not rocket science. NGK standard gap is about 0.024 -0.025 thou. So a pre-gapped plug is worth how much when you still have to re-gap it? Again, only reason the pre-gaps came out was the ECS plugs and the welded ground electrode. So unless its an ECS plug....

Only thing forcing me to reply is some members and the verbal abuse calling people fools, clowns, goofs, etc.

Sorry but I take issue when someone says "Don't call the dealer a douche, you douche." Hypocritical? ummm....yeah.......

All this boo hooing about the boo hooing - GOT sand and bucket?

I'm not going bother with this anymore - two of the good dealers named in this thread (Mr. R's and Bow Cycle South) do not need any possible negativity associated with them.

Later kiddies! :cool:

Im suprised you found time for this post in between riding Mr. R's and Bow Cycle South's wangs! Thanks for copying down all that info for me man ive never been on a sled before.... seriosly didnt know there was 2 spark plugs.... thanks bro.

Top Bottom