Question for the Plumbers

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys if I shut off the main gas valve can I remove this valve? It is getting very hard to rotate it when I want to relight the furnace. If so what should a person lube it with?

Attachments

• DSCN2780.jpg
    DSCN2780.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Question for the Plunbers

There should be a shut off right at the furnace if you are going to replace it. I wouldn’t recommend running the furnace without a gas valve

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey Guys if I shut off the main gas valve can I remove this valve? It is getting very hard to rotate it when I want to relight the furnace. If so what should a person lube it with?

Yes you can remove that valve but as stated above.. you must replace it with a new one.

Nor to be a smart a$$ .... but when you are relighting , you are pushing the valve Handel in then turn it to light it ..... right?

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If it is the small valve that you manually turn to light the pilot is what you mean I don't think they are serviceable. I would replace the entire gas valve and not try to repair the old one.

That furnace looks ancient from what I can see in the picture, you might consider a replacement.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Probably down inside the grease that lubricates the o-rings has petrified. Pretty cheap valve on Amazon.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If it is the small valve that you manually turn to light the pilot is what you mean I don't think they are serviceable. I would replace the entire gas valve and not try to repair the old one.

That furnace looks ancient from what I can see in the picture, you might consider a replacement.

If it's working properly why replace? The newer ones with all the electronics are nothing but a headache. If the old one's still working good just keep an eye on it and you're much better off. The tiny amount of extra gas it burns is nothing.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My buddy replaces furnaces daily, he said al new are junk if you get 10 years out of them they are rotten or can't get parts in a timely fashion.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thanks for the information guys.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

when I was in the printing business we used a product on our rubber rollers to make them soft again we called it rubber rejuvinator it was nasty stuff ate paint, plastic and your skin but it worked great on rubber

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

when I was in the printing business we used a product on our rubber rollers to make them soft again we called it rubber rejuvinator it was nasty stuff ate paint, plastic and your skin but it worked great on rubber
Sounds like it would be safer if I just sent it to you for the overhaul. LOL

Top Bottom