Any gas fireplace guys

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Daughter bought a house this summer.
Had it all inspected. Everything worked.
When She put on the fireplace she could smell gas. I told her turn it off and the gas valve in the basement.
So no danger now.
As I googled Luxor first thing that came up is a do not use order.

We are getting confused as to what to do.
One place ( a lab ) said they can inspect it for $1,000.
So looking for someone in the know.
What is the safest but also cheapest way to fix this.
Also She spent over $1,000 for tile work around the fireplace place.
She is not amused.
Thanks for any input.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are right on stopping use.. isolate and figure out a go forward. Quick search says these are trouble. Certification issues you will never likely get around. Think about insurance, have they asked for specifics? You will need to verify your make and model but it doesn't look good.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it leaking gas on the piping connections or is the gas valve on with no flame?

My gas fireplace has a pilot light on all the time, im pretty sure it wont let gas out with out a flame present. But ive never tried.

Also, if you end up having to yank it out, could you go out the back wall instead of destroying the tile? Even if its an exterior wall might be cheaper?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My best friend owns Ab wholesale fireplaces. Calgary trail n in Edmonton.
Steve. Tell him Andrew recommended him.
780-990-5921.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really worried about the gas smell at this point. As the gas is shut off.
We are getting mixed messages mostly from companies that want to come out for a cost just to tell us we are screwed I think.
If they can fix it for a grand fine.
So looking for someone that has dealt with this issue.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really worried about the gas smell at this point. As the gas is shut off.
We are getting mixed messages mostly from companies that want to come out for a cost just to tell us we are screwed I think.
If they can fix it for a grand fine.
So looking for someone that has dealt with this issue.
My buddy won’t rip you off don’t worry

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks
She just need information at this point.
If She has to get a new fireplace I will keep that in mind.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
780-990-5921.
Stand up guys, incredible to deal with. I live in Canmore and Steve took amazing care of us for purchase install and service. Unlike drew I don't know them previously but likely one of the best companies I've ever dealt with. purchase , install or service

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stand up guys, incredible to deal with. I live in Canmore and Steve took amazing care of us for purchase install and service. Unlike drew I don't know them previously but likely one of the best companies I've ever dealt with. purchase , install or service
I remember him telling me he had a job in Canmore. Cool small world. I’ll pass on the kind words. He’s coming over to my house on Wednesday for supper.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Thanks
She just need information at this point.
If She has to get a new fireplace I will keep that in mind.
i would call the recommended guy here.
ask him all the questions (information) you want for free.
i am sure he is a subject matter expert and knows inspection cost, repair cost, etc.
just a though.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it a pilot flame fire place? Is it possible the flue gas is backdrafting back in the house. My inlaws have that problem with theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would call the recommended guy here.
ask him all the questions (information) you want for free.
i am sure he is a subject matter expert and knows inspection cost, repair cost, etc.
just a though.
He does wet certifications. Advice over the phone. Not just selling. He knows the names of the parts and the pieces. He is definitely the guy who would give you the time on a phone call

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you had a pre purchase inspection you should probably talk to your house inspector, if he missed this its kind of on him. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus but that's why you hire them.
The inspector absolutely should have run the serial# to see if there were recalls or issues with the unit but unfortunately the agreement you sign with them essentially says too bad so sad you have no recourse.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok
So we talked to Alberta municipal office
Some of the fireplaces have gotten certified some can,t be certified. So She could be out the $1,000 plus the gas leak would still have to get fixed.

Yes the house inspection guys should of known the problem with these fireplaces.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you had a pre purchase inspection you should probably talk to your house inspector, if he missed this its kind of on him. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus but that's why you hire them.
You have a lot of faith in the house inspector business. IMHO they offer little to no value, unless you are completely clueless to houses. Even then they state the obvious. If you read the fine print they are responsible for almost nothing. I started taking the course thinking I could improve the image it wasn't long before I realized I would need to comprise my ethics to do this job. I just simply walked away it defiantly wasn't for me.
Getting back on topic I dealt with Steve from AB wholesale fireplace and he treated me good I was impressed.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a lot of faith in the house inspector business. IMHO they offer little to no value, unless you are completely clueless to houses. Even then they state the obvious. If you read the fine print they are responsible for almost nothing. I started taking the course thinking I could improve the image it wasn't long before I realized I would need to comprise my ethics to do this job. I just simply walked away it defiantly wasn't for me.
Getting back on topic I dealt with Steve from AB wholesale fireplace and he treated me good I was impressed.
Yup.....if you do proper inspections you start blowing up deals. That's when all the greasy Realtors blackball you. House inspections are generally pretty useless outside of a few things like asbestos Id.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
780-990-5921.
I messaged him last night. Within 30 seconds he wrote back and told me he was out of the country until Monday and will schedule something when he gets back. I was very impressed with the quick reply

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I messaged him last night. Within 30 seconds he wrote back and told me he was out of the country until Monday and will schedule something when he gets back. I was very impressed with the quick reply
Nice.
He is in Mazatlan with his family for Christmas. Make sure you named Andrew from Snow Mud. He’s my best friend.

Top Bottom