Natural gas line and power line

rider1

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the depths should be? I am looking at digging these in myself. I am located in the county of leduc.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas I am pretty sure is 3 ft
electrical can be less 18" I think if it is In a conduit or under a board

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once again it's weird gotta agree with willy. Lol. I work for a hydro vac company yes supposed to be 3' but have seen them anywhere from 8" to 6'
Did one a couple weeks ago the phone was only 4' below surface. In the middle of his driveway

Get a locator and a hydro vac to expose. A hydrovac is pricey but way cheaper than a line strike.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Magnet and willy are right.... If you are running new service an inspector will specify your local regulations. But the general standard is 3' and I wouldn't consider putting anything shallower than that.. If you wind up wanting to put anything else in that area or need to change grade on the property it will only cause you grief

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rider1--- is it an acreage service or residential in town?

You can't bury gas and electrical together...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of supposed to be rules. But after working I. The industry for a while you realize they are merely guidelines it seems. Have seen gas lines crossing resting on one another have seen power crossing laying on pipe. Lol. Get the lines located and expose with a hydrovac or a hand shovel.
If burying new lines call first to make sure you have no crossings to deal with.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a fyi put a wire with the gas line, bring it to the surface both ends, and ground it out.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got a line locator, a hydrovaccer and a directional driller... When u want it done? Haha, we got the tools!

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious about the gas line myself...if my house build goes threw I will be switching to natural gas from propane. As far as the electrical.... CODE is 2' non vehicular and 3' where there is vehicles driven on it. A good rule of thumb is 3' min. Not sure on the mixing of the two lines in the same trench but am curious!

Cwarren

Reaction score
You can put the two lines in the same trench but the gas has to be at least 18" deeper ten the electrical line, don't forget to back fill with sand first

Sent from my iPhone using

RTSOKO

Reaction score
in Calgary area they can be at the same.depth. Keep about a foot away diagonally. If they cross each other keep gas 12- 18" above power. Put power in a conduit 2" depending on your cable size. Conduit is cheap and can save digging up yards and driveways. I see the gas directly on top of the conduit all the time but not cool in my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Top Bottom