RV fridge troubleshooting

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone really good with RV fridges?
Parents are up visiting. And the fridge in their motorhome quit working. On both gas and elect.
Everything we tested electrically seems okay. Power where powers needed
The thermistor is at 4.44ohms (not sure where it should be. Mines at 9.36 in my trailer but my fridge is on and cold).
No ammonia smell. And no discoloration caused by ammonia on any of the tin.

The coils are cold to touch (whereas mine are warm , seeing Mines working his should be warm too)

Maybe thinking the ammonia has crystallized in the lines? Plugging the circulation of the ammonia????

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess is a leak and it's low, so pressure switch isn't allowing it to come on. Not a expert on rv fridges tho

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess is a leak and it's low, so pressure switch isn't allowing it to come on. Not a expert on rv fridges tho
Everything I googlerld said a leak can be seen. As it yellows the sheet metal. Nothing is discolored

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything I googlerld said a leak can be seen. As it yellows the sheet metal. Nothing is discolored
couldn't see a leak on mine. I couldn't find a replacement fridge the same size so ended up getting a cooling unit from the amish

Reactions: RXN

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone really good with RV fridges?
Parents are up visiting. And the fridge in their motorhome quit working. On both gas and elect.
Everything we tested electrically seems okay. Power where powers needed
The thermistor is at 4.44ohms (not sure where it should be. Mines at 9.36 in my trailer but my fridge is on and cold).
No ammonia smell. And no discoloration caused by ammonia on any of the tin.

The coils are cold to touch (whereas mine are warm , seeing Mines working his should be warm too)

Maybe thinking the ammonia has crystallized in the lines? Plugging the circulation of the ammonia????
It could be your thermistor. I had a problem with mine and the fridge was to warm but the freezer worked. The thermistor will have different ohms at different Temps. You can probably find a video on line for yours for the ohms. Place it in ice water and do a reading for ohms. And a reading at a warm known temp. You can find them on Amazon for cheap.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the trailer level?

Sometimes if is sloped too much the magic can’t happen.
Yeah it's sitting level.
However it is an old rental unit

Dad found an article on line that stated when you aren't level (within 3 degrees).
The ammonia will pool in the tubes. And crystallize. Once that happens the tubes plug off. The ammonia no longer flows properly and the fridge doesn't work.
That article also said there is no fix for that.

They did spend the night in a pull out by Radium on their way here. And they were not level that night.

They are headed back to Ainsworth today. Looks like he'll have to take it in to Cranbrook when he gets home.

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it out put it upside down let it sit for a hour put it right side up sit for a hour repeat a few times. Maybe go for a drive with it in the back of the truck to shake it up some. Reinstall and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it out put it upside down let it sit for a hour put it right side up sit for a hour repeat a few times. Maybe go for a drive with it in the back of the truck to shake it up some. Reinstall and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have heard this does work to fix it

Top Bottom