Landmark Homes

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Ried Built Homes!!!!! Presently in the middle of a $200,000 law suit with these aholes. Seems like they get sued by dozens of home owners every year and loose. Houses are junk, nothing but building code violations and lies. Want to spend some time to know what your builder of choice is really like go to a new subdivision and knock on doors to see what warranty service has been like for them. This tells you what you are going to get and how well the house stands up.
Did I mention I HATE RIED BUILT HOMES:rant::rant:

Replaced over 50 driveways ried built did that were only a year or two old! They got sick of all the money it was costing so they just stopped replacing them and said no more warranty on outside work. They are a joke.

Alberta Boy, actually getting financing on bare land isn't to bad now, you can get 80-90% now if you got the credit to back it up. As I am buying a lot right away here, but the only downside is the interest rate isn't as good.

Personally after seeing so much crap done by builders I wouldn't even think of it. When I build my house anything I don't do myself I will be watching over their shoulder ever step of the way. The problem isn't just the builders it's the tradesmen. Building one right now with my dad and the plumber and electrician are a joke, they just don't care. Such a piss off to be fixing their work after. The only other trade we've got is a heating guy and he's the ONLY one who's done a decent job. And don't rely on inspections for ANYTHING. If you didn't have a roof on your house good chance it would STILL pass framing inspection. Half of our inspections they didn't get within 100ft of the house.

If I had the time, I wouldn't hire another single person to do anything but hook up the gas and furnace, I can do the rest myself, it's about the only way you know you'll get a good job it seems nowdays.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went back to Landmark today to take another look at the house and see what changes we thought that we would make. CHANGES apparently are not allowed these days, you can't make any changes to the design or even make anything bigger. WTF when we build our current home with Sterling we moved interior walls around, bayed out windows and made all kinds of changes. Guess we won't be going with Landmark now. I assume that this is due to the fact, like someone mentioned above, that they prebuild the walls off site or mod build what ever they called it.
Also noted in the basement that instead of drilling holes through the engineered floor joists for wiring and small plumbing it appears that they used a small pick axe to knock holes through them, is this common practice? kind of defeats the purpose of engineering a weight bearing beam don't you think :nono:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went back to Landmark today to take another look at the house and see what changes we thought that we would make. CHANGES apparently are not allowed these days, you can't make any changes to the design or even make anything bigger. WTF when we build our current home with Sterling we moved interior walls around, bayed out windows and made all kinds of changes. Guess we won't be going with Landmark now. I assume that this is due to the fact, like someone mentioned above, that they prebuild the walls off site or mod build what ever they called it.
Also noted in the basement that instead of drilling holes through the engineered floor joists for wiring and small plumbing it appears that they used a small pick axe to knock holes through them, is this common practice? kind of defeats the purpose of engineering a weight bearing beam don't you think :nono:

Most floor trusses have holes pre drilled and you just lightly hit them with a hammer and you got a perfect little hole. You are NOT suppose to make ANY holes they aren't there. This is just on the floor trusses i've used anyway. There isn't much to them, drill much for holes and you'll be replacing them.

Yea no changes are BS. And most won't want anything to fancy or to many corners in the foundation or anything. It's so the house can be slapped together in no time. I wouldn't settle for anything. And you know the biggest crook, how much you'll get charged for extras.

Honestly, if most people knew how much a house honestly costs to build I think they'd tell the builders to go to hell. It is INSANE how much money a builder makes.

Rough estimate. 900k house. 200k lot, MAYBE 450-500k to build it, then pay GC and money for builder. Builders easily make 20-25% on a house. Builders cut EVERY corner they can, like just a few roof vents instead of worrlybirds about $200 savings, no water shutoffs on toilets (which your SUPPOSE to have), probably another $100, 2" thick basement floor instead of standard 3.5-4", easily 1-2k savings (I have personally seen this myself many times). They cut corners on everything and probably save 10-20k on a house just from stuff that most honest people would put in.

I really didn't realize a lot of this until building a house with my dad and seeing what kind of corners builders cut, and how little most things cost, but builders charge a fortune.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
toeknee if your looking for a good custom builder call Jack from Gercon construction, does nothing but custom homes whatever you want..

I only build 3 or 4 a year for him but there all BIG $2 or $3 mill...

but he'll also build smaller whatever the customers wants...

Top Bottom