New home construction costs?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm building a acreage right now last time I built was 2015 and honestly some prices haven't went up that much. Lumber is fairly high and windows and overhead doors insane but overall cost isn't that bad. I'm building a 1850 sq/ft walkout bungalow with triple garage and it'll cost me about $200 sq/ft fairly nice finishing 10'/12' ceilings, 8' doors, granite, etc. However i'm saving about $75 sq/ft in what i'm doing myself. Unfinished basement. Basement to finish is about $75k if paying for everything or 50 sq/ft.

Personally I hate hardy, and would go with stucco instead. Stucco prices only low $40k total, not over and above cost of vinyl siding. Only thing i'm going kinda cheap on is sticking with vinyl and not stucco.

He is hosing you badly and not being honest about it only being a 15% margin, probably adding like 20% to finance the job too and a bunch of other BS that he doesn't consider margin, granted interest rates are high it shouldn't be anywhere near that, I would be suprised if the cost is more then 300 sq/ft. Vinyl plank for example is SO cheap. Way cheaper then hardwood.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
@ niner. What do those big barns run a sq ft?
We just supply labour. When we work with the farmer he is the general. No 2 barns are ever identical. When the customer locks in his material package he is guaranteed that price/2x4 for the entire job. So no surprises on price increases. What we build is very different to housing in respect that when we’re done it will generate income and can offset some price increases over time. I think the big thing driving up prices is the shortage of skilled labour in this province, people just want to work from home.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm building a acreage right now last time I built was 2015 and honestly some prices haven't went up that much. Lumber is fairly high and windows and overhead doors insane but overall cost isn't that bad. I'm building a 1850 sq/ft walkout bungalow with triple garage and it'll cost me about $200 sq/ft fairly nice finishing 10'/12' ceilings, 8' doors, granite, etc. However i'm saving about $75 sq/ft in what i'm doing myself. Unfinished basement. Basement to finish is about $75k if paying for everything or 50 sq/ft.

Personally I hate hardy, and would go with stucco instead. Stucco prices only low $40k total, not over and above cost of vinyl siding. Only thing i'm going kinda cheap on is sticking with vinyl and not stucco.

He is hosing you badly and not being honest about it only being a 15% margin, probably adding like 20% to finance the job too and a bunch of other BS that he doesn't consider margin, granted interest rates are high it shouldn't be anywhere near that, I would be suprised if the cost is more then 300 sq/ft. Vinyl plank for example is SO cheap. Way cheaper then hardwood.
Thanks for the feedback, when I saw the 15% margin I was pretty sure there is more in materials as well, I don’t know but suspect the quotes for cabinets, flooring, siding etc are retail quotes not what he would pay. I run a business too so I get it but what actually set me off and got me looking into things was he optioned painting the interior of the two car garage… option price $5500, I wanted to ask him if he was on crack at that point but didn’t. I did challenge the quote asked him if he could sharpen up the pencil and since then crickets. I’m meeting with another builder next week.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Where are you planning to build? Would that affect the pricing? I know we have a couple home builders on the site. But I believe they are local to Edmonton area

Top Bottom