New house cost

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is the going rate on roofing nowadays? Shingled my roof this fall and I'm curious to see how much I saved doing it myself.

6000.00 to 7000.00 for a duplex.
That's 100 percent by contractor and I watch and drink coffee.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the thing. My job is extremely flexible so as long as I have my cell phone with me, I am at work. I have done quite a bit of contracting work too so I have some experience with everything. The building we are in now is a 40x60x16 high shop with a two level apartment in one end. Everything completely finished. Metal exterior, 20'x60' lean to off the back, 960 square foot 2 bedroom 1.5 bath apartment. I built that for $40 a square foot (square footage not including footprint of the lean to, but includes the cost).

The house is being kept as simple as possible. Minimal exterior corners, simple rooflines, etc. Im looking forward to the challenge of seeing how inexpensively we can build it for. But on the same hand focusing our dollars on the right stuff and making it really nice. Will start a thread when we get into building it this spring.

I look forward to following the progress! I really enjoyed the one Dave did a few years ago for his house in central AB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeavyD111

Reaction score
I see houses all the time to be moved or just not used in almost abandoned towns for around 20k. Sure they need going over but with what I see people paying for a chunk of wood and drywall, if i had an acerage I would be moving one of them on it. Of course being in the city most likely has restrictions..

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see houses all the time to be moved or just not used in almost abandoned towns for around 20k. Sure they need going over but with what I see people paying for a chunk of wood and drywall, if i had an acerage I would be moving one of them on it. Of course being in the city most likely has restrictions..

Homes aren't that expensive. It's the land, water and septic, power, gas, excavation etc. Moving a home is not cheap.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are these abandoned towns with houses worth moving? I know some people that have gone that route and there's not much left within an hour or two of Regina or Saskatoon.

HeavyD111

Reaction score
I just look on mls..always find something. Growing up in an old house i tend to want that style. Depends what works for you, for sure wont find new clone style houses cheap. Just trying to give an option to explore.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roofing prices have not dropped.
I got 3 quotes in January for a duplex.
Called today to confirm quotes or deals.
Only deal is 300.00 off if I pay cash.
They are still busy as I had to book to get it done in the next few weeks

Roofers and siders are chasing insurance work because of the hail. Wait until everything is repaired and you will def see the prices drop FAST

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roofers and siders are chasing insurance work because of the hail. Wait until everything is repaired and you will def see the prices drop FAST

Already booked I want it done before snow

Top Bottom