New house cost

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can find a patch of dirt (city lot or acreage) you might consider the RTM houses. Most are quite well built and cost about $120 square foot. An option to look at. Good luck

Sorry but that is just the upper part!!
No foundation , warranty , services , mechanical , HVAC ,etc etc . An RTM will work out to way more per SF than a contractor stick built....way more !
If you are qualified you can save a lot of money building your own, a LOT.

keep in mind though the time and labor and liability too though....
Its a massive project.....

Last edited:

KevinA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will definatly take a toll on your sanity near the end!

ProRmk800

Reaction score
Sorry but that is just the upper part!!
No foundation , warranty , services , mechanical , HVAC ,etc etc . An RTM will work out to way more per SF than a contractor stick built....way more !
If you are qualified you can save a lot of money building your own, a LOT.

keep in mind though the time and labor and liability too though....
Its a massive project.....

Ya I agree, either way for a house that's 1400 + sq ft with a garage you won't touch for under 400,000 $ now a days

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need more info, such as is this house in town,acreage or farm ? All this will have a bearing on house costs.
A few thing to consider. You can no longer build your own house without Alberta new home warranty. This will cost you 15000$ + just to start with and A LOT of hoops to jump through.

If you hire a contractor / builder you are looking at around 220$ per SF + 70$ SF to Finnish the basement (apx) , very rough guess . However that should get you a decent starter home. Or let's say,close to 450000$.
That would not include your land or services . Services are a real wild card , count on at lest 50000 to start.....On an Acreage.

As as an owner builder, you would be responsible for various warranty claims for up to 10 years.
I would think it would be really hard to find a builder who would allow you to do some of the work on the house yourself, as he would have to guarantee your work, under his name.

House prices likely won't drop much , if any, through this down turn....imo. 3 years from now, they will be higher than they are now....we will see a buyers market,and that is something you can take real advantage of, in the next while....

Now would be a great time to look for a deal on a run down/ must sell house situation. It would be a chance to save big time money on a major Reno,if you are "handy"......
Labor and trades will be easier to find in the next while,and interest rates for money is at an all time low....

Good luck!
Bringing this back up as I've been keeping an eye out on some acreage land to buy and eventually build. Curious what kind of cost decreases you have seen from that $220/sqft around Edmonton? The cost had to come down with cost of labour and material.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Building costs in Leduc have not gone done. Houses over 500 G have gone down a little

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here. houses in town in the 450 to 600k have come down slightly but land has increased so anyone starting a new build is at no advantage. Acreages are in high demand as always and haven't decreased ,except maybe the overpriced ones.

This week looks like the market is a little more active.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Material is up. a lot of the products are American based and follow the dollar.

Kinda like how the cost of materials dropped when our dollar was strong?? Not! Why must someone ALWAYS be fawking us over? Our strong dollar really did NOTHING for the costs in our own country. Only cross border shopping was better for us.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda like how the cost of materials dropped when our dollar was strong?? Not! Why must someone ALWAYS be fawking us over? Our strong dollar really did NOTHING for the costs in our own country. Only cross border shopping was better for us.

Funny how that works isnt it. Gas here is around 1.15 a litre. 2.16 US a gallon about half an hour away. Just ridiculous

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Also the price of Kokanee..................same product brewed right in Creston and nearly half the price across the border.

Actually not brewed in Creston anymore. Brewed anywhere Labatt brews. Like here in Edmonton. But the rest is 100% true.

Kinda like oil and gas too. $150/barrel oil = $1.20 gas. $48/barrel oil = $1.01 gas?!?! Seriously?!?!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a nut shell costs have gone up about 10 % , labour is slightly cheaper for the less qualified workers. The skilled guys are in demand and the rates are the same,more or less.... Sub trades are more readily available and more willing to deal.....

What does this all mean.... An acreage home is going to cost about 225$ for a decent house PSF.
services will cost 50 to 70 k In addition to the cost of your house....

Hope this helps....

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are building in the spring as well. What would you guys in the business estimate material costs are per square foot? I was told around 65 for lower middle of the road. Im planning on doing everything myself except the foundation and framing.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you build ...there is no average , so to speak...too many variables and unforeseen surprise situations come up.. For example , you can spend 20 k Ina kitchen ....or 120 k!

if you do most of the work yourself, you will save a pile ... A lot depends on what you build...some houses are a lot easier to eliminate the guess work than others.....

keep it simple��

Last edited:

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are building in the spring as well. What would you guys in the business estimate material costs are per square foot? I was told around 65 for lower middle of the road. Im planning on doing everything myself except the foundation and framing.

Flooring, kitchens and bathrooms can get up there in material prices depending on finishes. If I were building new I'd do the drywall myself (I'm a drywall contractor) however beyond that I'd just act as my own GC. The savings in addition to obviously the drywall, would of course be profit and administrative fees (sales, site super etc) which would translate into that 30%+ range.
Doing it all yourself comes at a cost in that this is time your not getting a pay check so to speak. If however your in an industry that has "down time" then it is of great benefit to do as much as you can. Basically moonlighting...
Long and short though if it saves money but takes 3x as long to do it what did you really save?
Sub out the tough stuff and do the "gravy (easy to you)" work...
If you go this way do you due diligence when it comes to subs,.... I was just on a job where the guy hired a painter off kijiji, this was a disaster. Long and short the painter popped a sprinkler head....he had no insurance....without going into details persuing this would simply incur additional cost with no chance of financial restitution...

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flooring, kitchens and bathrooms can get up there in material prices depending on finishes. If I were building new I'd do the drywall myself (I'm a drywall contractor) however beyond that I'd just act as my own GC. The savings in addition to obviously the drywall, would of course be profit and administrative fees (sales, site super etc) which would translate into that 30%+ range.
Doing it all yourself comes at a cost in that this is time your not getting a pay check so to speak. If however your in an industry that has "down time" then it is of great benefit to do as much as you can. Basically moonlighting...
Long and short though if it saves money but takes 3x as long to do it what did you really save?
Sub out the tough stuff and do the "gravy (easy to you)" work...
If you go this way do you due diligence when it comes to subs,.... I was just on a job where the guy hired a painter off kijiji, this was a disaster. Long and short the painter popped a sprinkler head....he had no insurance....without going into details persuing this would simply incur additional cost with no chance of financial restitution...

Thats the thing. My job is extremely flexible so as long as I have my cell phone with me, I am at work. I have done quite a bit of contracting work too so I have some experience with everything. The building we are in now is a 40x60x16 high shop with a two level apartment in one end. Everything completely finished. Metal exterior, 20'x60' lean to off the back, 960 square foot 2 bedroom 1.5 bath apartment. I built that for $40 a square foot (square footage not including footprint of the lean to, but includes the cost).

The house is being kept as simple as possible. Minimal exterior corners, simple rooflines, etc. Im looking forward to the challenge of seeing how inexpensively we can build it for. But on the same hand focusing our dollars on the right stuff and making it really nice. Will start a thread when we get into building it this spring.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roofing prices have not dropped.
I got 3 quotes in January for a duplex.
Called today to confirm quotes or deals.
Only deal is 300.00 off if I pay cash.
They are still busy as I had to book to get it done in the next few weeks

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually not brewed in Creston anymore. Brewed anywhere Labatt brews. Like here in Edmonton. But the rest is 100% true.

Kinda like oil and gas too. $150/barrel oil = $1.20 gas. $48/barrel oil = $1.01 gas?!?! Seriously?!?!

More like $150/barrel oil = $1.20 gas. $48/barrel oil = $1.13 gas which is what its like now lol

the only thing that's basically changed is less people working or earning a-lot less Income now.

Prices on "things" really haven't changed however to reflect that.

I love how inflation only ever seems to go one direction.

I bought my house near the end of last recession thankfully .. its still over double worth what i paid for it even now.

Its highly likely ill sell it on the next housing boom and reinvest that profit towards something better.

Last edited:

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is the going rate on roofing nowadays? Shingled my roof this fall and I'm curious to see how much I saved doing it myself.

Top Bottom