Farm shop build, well suppose to be built already...

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to "the customer is always right" ?
This is Snowandmud, everyone is right. All these “builders” spend the summers at the lake on there $400000 wake/surf boats drinking beer and banging broads. Then when fall comes and the boats put away they find some sucker that needs a shop and screws him over with all his fancy cordless Milwaukee tools. Bunch of losers…

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what you need to do in this situation is reestablish dominance. You need to beat the crap out of the top guy in front of his men to make them all respect you. Once you have that back they will all do what you say, and not wreck your pad.

Basically just applying prison tactics to real life. Can be very effective.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always find it interesting how anyone thinks you can build a pad without,
- positive drainage
- good material and compacted
- gravelled , watered and compacted 20cm base . ( whatever it takes )
You need a good pad anyway for building and this way your contractor isn’t delayed for any reason and makes good progress . Contractor and crews are happy . No one likes a shitty site .
Example ? Pic of Tex’s pad .
Niner ? That big project you did was a perfect example of tough going and I would assume extra costs occurred during construction due to poor prep .
Turned out nice sir !!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always find it interesting how anyone thinks you can build a pad without,
- positive drainage
- good material and compacted
- gravelled , watered and compacted 20cm base . ( whatever it takes )
You need a good pad anyway for building and this way your contractor isn’t delayed for any reason and makes good progress . Contractor and crews are happy . No one likes a shitty site .
Example ? Pic of Tex’s pad .
Niner ? That big project you did was a perfect example of tough going and I would assume extra costs occurred during construction due to poor prep .
Turned out nice sir !!
Pretty much every pad we build on is 100% clay. That pad with the mud was a very wet summer. Probably 20” of rain over the summer. Just never stopped. We had the roof on over the winter so all the rain was compounded to the exterior during the summer. Can’t control the weather so you have to learn to deal with it the best you can. Some guys go home when it rains and some guys put on rain suits. We are a rain suit company.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh, you must have my Contractor. If he spent as much time working as he did promising I’d have a castle built by now.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Another update, turns out we have in writing from the company owner about them being here in September. And another phone call was made to them asking about when they're going to come. Now it's sounding like an after Christmas thing, until a disagreement took place on the phone. Now what we have to show for it is a bifold door and some windows the supplier dropped off, we are getting refunded the rest of our deposit and have to find another builder. Honestly it's a relief, but at the same time it really screwed us over. We were planning on rebuilding out drill, rebuilding the hydraulics on our big 4wd, and a bunch of other projects so we don't have to do them in the spring before seeding. Don't have anywhere to do it so at least the tractors gotta get sent to a shop to have it done.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another update, turns out we have in writing from the company owner about them being here in September. And another phone call was made to them asking about when they're going to come. Now it's sounding like an after Christmas thing, until a disagreement took place on the phone. Now what we have to show for it is a bifold door and some windows the supplier dropped off, we are getting refunded the rest of our deposit and have to find another builder. Honestly it's a relief, but at the same time it really screwed us over. We were planning on rebuilding out drill, rebuilding the hydraulics on our big 4wd, and a bunch of other projects so we don't have to do them in the spring before seeding. Don't have anywhere to do it so at least the tractors gotta get sent to a shop to have it done.
prices have went up man u prob shoulda shopped around before u axed them honeslty but to each there own i no in our area min year wait to get anyone. Shitty situation all around as i no how important our shop is

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goes to show that having stuff in writing means dick all with some people. Some good contractors out there and lots of bad ones. The ones that drive me nuts are the ones that don’t return calls. Drives me nuts.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
prices have went up man u prob shoulda shopped around before u axed them honeslty but to each there own i no in our area min year wait to get anyone. Shitty situation all around as i no how important our shop is
And at the same time, i'd rather pay extra to have a shop built, and built right. I question the quality of the shop we would've had built if they did come and do it. It's not going to be built now till next fall probably. Spring time around here the water table is way too high to drill holes. When i did the water lines for the building in fall it was 5.5-6' down in drought. We still have to build a fence to keep the cows in. We took down the fence and put the pad 20' into the pasture. Now the ground is frozen, so have to pay someone to drill holes to put the fence back up.

And before the disagreement happened, the company owner told my dad that the prices have actually went down somehow?

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And at the same time, i'd rather pay extra to have a shop built, and built right. I question the quality of the shop we would've had built if they did come and do it. It's not going to be built now till next fall probably. Spring time around here the water table is way too high to drill holes. When i did the water lines for the building in fall it was 5.5-6' down in drought. We still have to build a fence to keep the cows in. We took down the fence and put the pad 20' into the pasture. Now the ground is frozen, so have to pay someone to drill holes to put the fence back up.

And before the disagreement happened, the company owner told my dad that the prices have actually went down somehow?
Lumber has gone down significantly from its high point. Labour has not gone down. Hopefully you find someone you can work with. Building should be fun and sucks when you start off on the wrong foot.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Lumber has gone down significantly from its high point. Labour has not gone down. Hopefully you find someone you can work with. Building should be fun and sucks when you start off on the wrong foot.
If labour goes down me thinks you’re not getting skilled labour. We didn’t initiate the refund, they did, and if it doesn’t turn legal it’s best case scenario. Communication could’ve solved a lot of the issues, but I’m looking forward to actually getting a shop next year.

I might sound like I’m difficult to work with but I’m really not lol. People just have to do what they say they were going to, or at least communicate and be accountable. I was a foreman for 6 years and I learnt a lot from that, when someone is accountable and admits they messed up it’s 10 times easier to deal with versus someone who lies, or makes excuses. I’ve ran my own business for a few years when I’m not farming, but I’m always in contact with the land owners I clear land or excavate for. It just makes life easier, no surprises and if things change it’s easy to accommodate when you find out right away. Maybe that’s partially why every customer I’ve had has brought me back multiple times.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey neat idea? You need a good contractor and Niner is an excellent contractor. Did I just solve this mess? 🤔

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Plus we've seen the ruts you make on pads sometimes
He wasn’t on the pad making those ruts. So it wouldn’t have been the end of the world. I can get my grader there to fix it when it dries. Lol

Hey neat idea? You need a good contractor and Niner is an excellent contractor. Did I just solve this mess? 🤔
I’m south east of Regina north west of weyburn so I’m really far into SK. All the builders are booked up, there’s so much work to go around here in SK with all the farms but no one wants to work 🤷‍♂️

I did get contact info for another builder thats building a shop for a local guy to us. I guess he’s built a few shops in the area.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh, you must have my Contractor. If he spent as much time working as he did promising I’d have a castle built by now.
Well i don't like talking. What's in my brain that should get done, and what actually gets done by the end of the day... is miles apart. Not sure how or when that happened.

Top Bottom