Input needed on UTV purchase

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am currently in the market on the purchase of an UTV.
I've looked at pretty much all my choices and have boiled it down to 3 now.
-Polaris Razor
-Can-am Comander
-Can-am Maverick
I haven't had any real seat time on any of these but these are my choices. Any input would be appreciated from those who have.

BTW i do realize that the Maverick has a huge edge on the other two, but i am not realy sold on it yet cause of my application.
The machine needs to be able to plow snow?
I also would like to carry gear for multi day campout using the UTV only and not truck and RV. The lack of storage is a concern for me, while the Commander seems to have the edge in that area.

I'm not concern about speed but more on how they perform in rough conditions such as rock crawling and mud. So suspension design and layout is more important to me then all out power. Its ability to carry a load too.
Durability is another concern. Thx

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am currently in the market on the purchase of an UTV.
I've looked at pretty much all my choices and have boiled it down to 3 now.
-Polaris Razor
-Can-am Comander
-Can-am Maverick
I haven't had any real seat time on any of these but these are my choices. Any input would be appreciated from those who have.

BTW i do realize that the Maverick has a huge edge on the other two, but i am not realy sold on it yet cause of my application.
The machine needs to be able to plow snow?
I also would like to carry gear for multi day campout using the UTV only and not truck and RV. The lack of storage is a concern for me, while the Commander seems to have the edge in that area.

I'm not concern about speed but more on how they perform in rough conditions such as rock crawling and mud. So suspension design and layout is more important to me then all out power. Its ability to carry a load too.
Durability is another concern. Thx

sounds to me like your looking at the wrong class of machines. Your looking at sport performance machines and sounds to me like you should be looking more toward the work horse class.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had a 800 rzr and now a 900 rzr.

From what your saying look at the Polaris Ranger or Commander. Storage area is limited on the rzr or Maverick.

Curious why you say Maverick has a judge edge over the others?
i rode one last week won't say it's better or worse than a rzr or commander.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm in the same boat sort of, looks like your trying to fit a sport utv into a work horse? how much work will you be doing and how much sport? i'm looking at the 13 polaris ranger 900 xp, has 60hp, loads of torque, will go through just about everything, not real sporty but has better winter adaptability(snow plow) can accept all the nice things you can put o the rzr(go fast). and you sit higher= less wet azz, has a bigger payload, bigger box and can sit 3 if ya need it.

again percentage of work versus percentage of ripping up the trails.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had a 800 rzr and now a 900 rzr.

From what your saying look at the Polaris Ranger or Commander. Storage area is limited on the rzr or Maverick.

Curious why you say Maverick has a judge edge over the others?
i rode one last week won't say it's better or worse than a rzr or commander.

I was just stating more what i was told by sells guys, like i said i never rode one. But from looking at it, it seems to have the best suspension and power in comparison. Don't know, maybe it doesn't have an edge on the other two.

No i'm not looking for work horse, just ability to carry camping gear. The work machine never perform all that well in comparison and ride like tanks. Had a Ranger, was never impressed. Won't have another.
BTW the drive i need to plow is very short 100ft.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm in the same boat sort of, looks like your trying to fit a sport utv into a work horse? how much work will you be doing and how much sport? i'm looking at the 13 polaris ranger 900 xp, has 60hp, loads of torque, will go through just about everything, not real sporty but has better winter adaptability(snow plow) can accept all the nice things you can put o the rzr(go fast). and you sit higher= less wet azz, has a bigger payload, bigger box and can sit 3 if ya need it.

again percentage of work versus percentage of ripping up the trails.

I realy wont be doing any work with it other then plow my short drive in winter and even then it might do this 3-4 times in a winter, not like i get lots of snow i am by the Okanagan lake.
My biggest concern is to carry my camping gear for multi day trips, like 2-3 days max.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I realy wont be doing any work with it other then plow my short drive in winter and even then it might do this 3-4 times in a winter, not like i get lots of snow i am by the Okanagan lake.
My biggest concern is to carry my camping gear for multi day trips, like 2-3 days max.

definitly more sport, and i'm thinkin the rzr is more sport tha the can am's. get a test drive see what ya like is the only way, and not a aroud the shop type. me the rzr is what i would buy of the three u list, from what i have seen and experieced on the trails we drive on. seems canams are always stuck getting through the mud or the trees, they are heavy.

Last edited:

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris Ranger, and a Walking Beam Pullbehind Trailer. (tub?). for YOUR NEEDS, not what someone else thinks you need.

Bruce. P R 7.jpg W B PB TRAILER 2.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well going to go to Vernon today to fuel up the boat, going out on the lake for abit. Going to stop at dealer at same time and look at these again. Inclueding the Ranger, i'm hoping they have been improved over the older ones.
Going to stop at BRP and Polaris.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are a little more performace oriented than the older models, a-arm suspension, 900 motor, lots of torque,

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new rangers are nothing like the old ones...lol New Motor,frame,drivetrain,cab,interior, suspension..........
With the power steering,they ride like & handle great.....60 inchs wide,so 4 inchs less than a 900 XP.
The 900 is a proven motor,with gobs of torque and GREAT clutching. STOCK !! These are a true work horse with a little sport thrown in.....lol

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well back from lake and both dealer's.
A decission is much closer, we are just working out the deal with dealer's.
Ohya i forgot to mention something earlier......Hhhhmmm, it also has to fit in my pickup box. Never realy thought of it till wifey said so. Haha
Its between Razor and Commander, we will see how sharp they can get that pencil probably monday.

I hope they are good choices.

BTW the Okanagan lake was absolutely awsome today, approx 34deg out and 25deg in the water. Jumping off the boat was refreshingly awsome....and no i would not want to be out on any offroad vehicle today.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, I can tell you a commander will fit in the box of your truck if you don't put aftermarket wheels on it....d-oh!

and if you choose commander, try to get a 2014 model. they went from the noisy straight cut rear end gears to helical cut gears. much quieter. if there's one complaint I have about my cow it's the noisy rear end howl at speed. other than that, it's been bulletproof.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never came to mine to look at JD. When i think JD i think work equiptment. The municipality uses them here for parks and cleanup, So does the RCMP.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that new JD side by side looks pretty sweet actually.

Top Bottom