Chrisco I need your advice

XanderKane

Reaction score
Hey Chris, a simple phone call probably would have been more direct however I figured I probably wasn't the only one with doubts or concerns.

Insurance wrote off my sled (14 pro) after the tunnel got kinked hitting a hidden stomp/rock on the clutch side of the bulkhead. This collision led to my rails and many skid components to twist including the right a-arm and steering post. Even before the impact I was thinking to myself how thin this tunnel really was and I was slightly concerned. My first mistake was not doing enough research to identify the weak points on this sled. Now with a fat cheque in my hand I'm honestly considering jumping ship to BRP. I know their sleds are 60ish pounds heavier however that means nothing to me as I wouldn't have doubts on a beefier sled.

So this brings me to my dilemma since I would prefer to ride a pro over a doo. Is there enough aftermarket bracing to truly make the tunnel stronger? Since my collision I am very familiar with the bulkhead/tunnel braces, lots to choose from. But is there a best overall choice? Would the VEI full tunnel brace with rear bumper you sell beef up the tin can tunnel? Would the Vohk bulkhead/tunnel steel plate that get riveted to the inside of the tunnel be enough to help prevent damage? Also you would recommend bonding these plates for added strength? I'm trying to convince myself this was a freak accident due to the low snow year since my local dealer seen many pro with kinked tunnels. Any thoughts would be great.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris, a simple phone call probably would have been more direct however I figured I probably wasn't the only one with doubts or concerns.

Insurance wrote off my sled (14 pro) after the tunnel got kinked hitting a hidden stomp/rock on the clutch side of the bulkhead. This collision led to my rails and many skid components to twist including the right a-arm and steering post. Even before the impact I was thinking to myself how thin this tunnel really was and I was slightly concerned. My first mistake was not doing enough research to identify the weak points on this sled. Now with a fat cheque in my hand I'm honestly considering jumping ship to BRP. I know their sleds are 60ish pounds heavier however that means nothing to me as I wouldn't have doubts on a beefier sled.

So this brings me to my dilemma since I would prefer to ride a pro over a doo. Is there enough aftermarket bracing to truly make the tunnel stronger? Since my collision I am very familiar with the bulkhead/tunnel braces, lots to choose from. But is there a best overall choice? Would the VEI full tunnel brace with rear bumper you sell beef up the tin can tunnel? Would the Vohk bulkhead/tunnel steel plate that get riveted to the inside of the tunnel be enough to help prevent damage? Also you would recommend bonding these plates for added strength? I'm trying to convince myself this was a freak accident due to the low snow year since my local dealer seen many pro with kinked tunnels. Any thoughts would be great.

You sound like a candidate for an Assault!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now with a fat cheque in my hand I'm honestly considering jumping ship to BRP. I know their sleds are 60ish pounds heavier however that means nothing to me as I wouldn't have doubts on a beefier sled.

2015 Mountain Snowmobile Shootout: Part 1

According to that, the 2015 T3 163 vs 2015 Pro 163 is only 21 pounds heavier, and the T3 has a much bigger track.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To have a truly bulletproof sled you would have to add braces to the doo as well since it folds the S modules pretty easily (from what I've read, not personal experience since I ride an old cat.) But then again a kinked tunnel is a bigger job to fix than some front end parts. Personally I think if you like the pro, or ride that hard then you're better off bracing up the sled you like or getting the reinforced version (assault/freeride).

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure that the Cat would be the answer either. I looked at the front of one the wrong way once and it cracked...being that the air intake is right there out cam the duct tape to limp it out of the nice deep and fun to ride stuff

Top Bottom