The Big 3 Reviewed By An Average Dude

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tell it as it is, always have, always will. I'm an average rider at best. Never will be more. Have worked in the industry for quite a few years. I've been asked numerous times on my YouTube page or Facebook page (Backcountry Bandit) if I could give a review on the big 3 mountain sleds since I've spent some time on all of them. So here goes:

I've always liked the xm chassis. Even though I worked for cat. Considered the xm the king of the mountain. Easy to ride, great power, best warranty.

Proclimb, tough, Reliable, great power.

The pro, liked it's handling but hated it's reliability, or lack there of. Power was down too.

Doo, cat, poo.. In that order.

That was then and this is now... boy have things changed.

Took a short break from the industry and purchased a 17 850 165x. First ride impressions were better than expected. Power was, clean, crisp, and abundant. The lack of rider input to go where you wanted to go... Unprecedented...almost unnerving. Slight shifts of feet were exaggerated greatly, in handling.

But issues ensued. Big ones. I lost complete faith in my purchase. Did it work? Absolutely. Once doo has this thing figured out, lookout. With all the new updates (bulkhead, clutches, etc) they're on their way.

Poo.... Heck you couldn't give me a dragon... Or even a pro. But I tried an axys last season. Everything changed. I actually considered it with the 850 but decided to go doo. I mean, I don't know if I could ever live it down.... Owning a poo after all the grief I gave, buddies!

After my 850 experience, I went in to buy a 17 axys. I was offered a demo and took it on a 4 day trip.
I honestly felt that I've been jipped. All those years on the proclimb. No grace, rammy, get it done riding style. But really had no choice, being that I ran a cat dealer. The mountain cat was a great sled but still lacked the finesse.

This axys has changed everything. I never thought at nearly 40, I could progress in my riding ability. But I have. The axys is a truly awesome sled. Easiest stock sled to ride, bar none. Best running boards, best bars, best skis. Not the most power, I'd say 3rd, honestly. It has terrible, and I mean, terrible trail manners. It's like riding a narrow bucking bronco. But man can it dance in the trees!

The cat...I've been on a cat since 06. I'm not brand loyal in any way shape or form. But you don't crap where you eat. Running a cat dealer I didn't have much choice in sleds. I always praised the competition, especially the doo.

But the 18 Cat.... Isn't hype. It works and works well. Best motor of the 3. Clean, crisp, like the doo but dare I say, more power? It feels so. The motor is spot on. I only hope it's even a third of the Suzuki in the reliability department.

Sidehill? Great. 2nd only to the axys. It still washed out a bit but leaps and bounds better than a 16. I had a 17 mountain cat as a demo. Which until this 18 came along, was the best cat to date. How they thought it was ok to put those controls on the bars, not change the running boards to clear more snow, not change the ski, and not come up with their own quick release tunnel accessory... I don't know.

2018 is going to be the best year to purchase a new mountain sled. Never has it ever been this close. Especially with the doo updates.

Conclusion: if your a tree banger, live for the creek ride, and really techy stuff. The axys is the answer.

If you're a smash it, hit it pussaaay, push it to the max kinda folk. The 18 Cat.

If you're a meadow smasher, big shoot' r, deep pow, down hill turner... The summit.

There is no order any longer. Toss a coin, folks.

What a great time to be a mountain sledder...well except for the effin prices!

Here's Some vids of myself riding all three sleds.

***note*** while I was shopping for the axys I was literally offered a job at the dealership. I am now one of the managers at a polaris dealership. I will never bleed any colour for that is pure insanity. I would never trust anyone who thought any one brand is the best and that all others are inferior. The fact is, they all offer something, to someone.

I have nothing to say about the sidewinder for I've never ridden one. I'd love a chance at one though.

Below are some short videos of myself riding the newest iron from the big 3. As I mentioned prior, I'm an average rider at best. Don't expect to see some serious shiat!

18 Cat https://youtu.be/WfKk69GYIK0

Axys https://youtu.be/MLAyHmDSokE

850 https://youtu.be/kPWinbR8OAo

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
It's nice to see the un-bias reviews.

I enjoy trying out the other brands when I ride as well.

I'm a cat guy. Always have been.
But I couldn't agree more with your write up. Those polaris handle so easy. I like my tight tree riding. But because I occasionally hit the odd tree I'd be afraid to be on the polaris. My HCR has bounced off a lot of trees, rocks and stumps. And so far only ever bent the steering post.

This last trip one of my buddies had the 850. I did not give it a try. But just watching it was enough to put a smile ear to ear. That thing was pretty impressive watching him on it. (Of course he's a far better rider then I could dream of being).

It amazes me how far sleds have come. In the past 5 years some major changes. Looking forward to seeing what happens in the next 20 years of sledding.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Third vid of the 850 has caption December 2017!? Are you from the future? ;)
Haha! Mcflyyyyyy. Good eye, will have to change that!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I see a lot of different machines with different levels of riders. I agree, the new machines are all pretty good now and each has their quirks. A person should be able to get on any of them and have them perform for what they are designed for. Most of the riding problems people have with the various sleds is mental, IMHO. There is a mind blockage and not an acceptance or willingness to try another brand and it goes deeper by people thinking "how can he be so brand loyal when those particular sleds are crap".

In my mind, it all boils down to dealer/sales/service. If those three aspects are working together for a dude to have the enjoyable experience one should have then that is the brand that will be pursued. Over the years, I have had good experiences on all my machines (except for some motor issues with a particular brand) but in the end, it was the dealership that made those experiences work for me.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Great unbiased writeup, I too try to tell it like it is and I own a sidewinder which I have reported on in the Yammie section but for those doo riders who can't be bothered to look over there I will say this about the Sidewinder. It is Yamaha's best mountain sled to date period. No it will not hang in the trees as good as the other 3 but it also doesn't lack there either, yes it is a little heavier to throw around especially in really tight quick manoeuvres but again not that bad. For any other riding, bowls, meadows, hill climbs, trails, you name it, there is no comparison to the others it simply DERSTROYS them everywhere as it should with a factory turbo. I have been on all 2 strokes for my 20 plus years of riding and this sled is a definite contender. I let many people ride my machine and it speaks for itself every time by the wow factor when people come back with a huge grin on their face. Its faults? It is a wheelie machine which needs to be addressed, and if I had to get picky, the intake temps do get hot quick but it is very rideable, no issues yet because of it and of coarse it needs a 174 which mine is undergoing major surgery in the garage to get done as we speak. As I read this back it sounds pretty biased but I am sorry to say that is just how this sled is, please try one out and add it to your list somewhere, I am curious as to where it will be ha ha.

Top Bottom