Need Help deciding.......

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
OK, so I've pretty much decided a SxS is the best choice for me and my family. It will allow the three of us (wife and 5yr old son) to go on light day trips until he is old enough to get his own quad while allowing me to have some fun when I am out with the boys. After discussing it with my wife, I really do not need a machine that will fit into my truck box, which is 6 1/2 feet anyway, as well will likely not be going out overnight. As for transporting, I have a 7 foot wide X 14 foot long cargo trailer that I can easily sleep in if I ever go overnight with the boys.

Onto the decision.....

I am trying to decide between the 2013 Can-Am Maverick 1000R X RS, the 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Limited 1000 and the Polaris RZR 1000. I am not sure what year of RZR yet as I have not found one for sale in the price range I am looking for.

The Maverick is at a local dealer with some extras like rock guards, a roof, full metal doors, brand new tires and a skid plate but comes in at 16,800 + 5% tax (dealer will negotiate so feel free to suggest a price). I am told there is nothing wrong with it but it does have the typical "bush scratches" when one uses their machine in Alberta but nothing major or unexpected.

The Arctic Cat is brand new as Bass Pro near my home and come in at 15,500 but I know absolutely NOTHING about these machines or the manufacturer outside of the fact that they make snowmobiles and have for quite sometime.

As for the Polaris, I still need to find one for sale but I am only including this machine as I used to own Polaris quads and hear the 1000 RZR is the one to beat currently so they say.

Ultimately, I think I've ruled out the Arctic Cat as I feel they are not on the same level as the other two but I am basing that on personal uninformed opinions. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong or should consider this. Also, I am not sure about buying from Bass Pro. So far I am leaning toward the Maverick as I think it is a good price, I like the extras the already come with it and the fact it comes with functioning bead locks and brand new tires. My issue is I also know very little about Can-Am and do not want to fall into the trap of settling for the RZR just because they have a better marketing department. I personally get off on the power which is why I would like a 1000.

Any advice, opinion and information would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks in advance for your help!!

Cheers,
Dean

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
OK, so I've pretty much decided a SxS is the best choice for me and my family. It will allow the three of us (wife and 5yr old son) to go on light day trips until he is old enough to get his own quad while allowing me to have some fun when I am out with the boys. After discussing it with my wife, I really do not need a machine that will fit into my truck box, which is 6 1/2 feet anyway, as well will likely not be going out overnight. As for transporting, I have a 7 foot wide X 14 foot long cargo trailer that I can easily sleep in if I ever go overnight with the boys.

Onto the decision.....

I am trying to decide between the 2013 Can-Am Maverick 1000R X RS, the 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Limited 1000 and the Polaris RZR 1000. I am not sure what year of RZR yet as I have not found one for sale in the price range I am looking for.

The Maverick is at a local dealer with some extras like rock guards, a roof, full metal doors, brand new tires and a skid plate but comes in at 16,800 + 5% tax (dealer will negotiate so feel free to suggest a price). I am told there is nothing wrong with it but it does have the typical "bush scratches" when one uses their machine in Alberta but nothing major or unexpected.

The Arctic Cat is brand new as Bass Pro near my home and come in at 15,500 but I know absolutely NOTHING about these machines or the manufacturer outside of the fact that they make snowmobiles and have for quite sometime.

As for the Polaris, I still need to find one for sale but I am only including this machine as I used to own Polaris quads and hear the 1000 RZR is the one to beat currently so they say.

Ultimately, I think I've ruled out the Arctic Cat as I feel they are not on the same level as the other two but I am basing that on personal uninformed opinions. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong or should consider this. Also, I am not sure about buying from Bass Pro. So far I am leaning toward the Maverick as I think it is a good price, I like the extras the already come with it and the fact it comes with functioning bead locks and brand new tires. My issue is I also know very little about Can-Am and do not want to fall into the trap of settling for the RZR just because they have a better marketing department. I personally get off on the power which is why I would like a 1000.

Any advice, opinion and information would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks in advance for your help!!

Cheers,
Dean

Go see an actual Arctic Cat dealer, talk with them about their units, I find Bass Pro to be a retail store that just has Arctic Cat equipment and doesn't know jack chit about them. Ralph's is in Calgary and are a long standing Arctic Cat dealer, or if you wish to head to Red Deer the Cycle Works there is also an Arctic Cat dealer and has a great reputation :)

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pro am Motorsports in calgary have a few and I think they even have demo units. Glen is very knowledgable and extremely helpful.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
What's your view on them vs the Maverick 1000?

Also, does anyone know how hard it is to install a power steering kit?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm an arctic cat guy lol.
They already have power steering ?

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
How do they match up against the Maverick on the trail?

One of the Mavericks I am considering does not have power steering. I was wondering how hard it is to add the aftermarket one as its a REALLY clean machine, comes with a power commander and a 2 brothers exhaust

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just installed one on a 1000 maverick and it's easy. Couple hrs with basic tools.
Kit was a Ez Steer.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Just installed one on a 1000 maverick and it's easy. Couple hrs with basic tools.
Kit was a Ez Steer.

Were the direction clear? While I am mechanically inclined, I am nowhere near a mechanic!! I can do oil chances, brake jobs, tune ups etc

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!!! I think I've narrowed it down to the Maverick but have not been able to find a lot of information on how the Arctic Cat stacks up.

canadiancon

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you, except I'm looking for a 4 seater, from the hours of research the maverick has nice fit and finish but the rzr 1000 blows it away in power, comfort etc. the arctic cat is a bit slower than all of them but has a nice plush ride. I was going to buy a 14 rzr 1000 because everything I read about them vs the other 2 they win hands down. The maverick doesn't have a true locker, it has the visco lok and from the research I've done, it isn't that good compared to the Polaris or wildcat.

i don't have any experience with any, just hour and hours of research, i decided on a 13 rzr 900 jagged x becuse the price was good. But i would take the Polaris over the other 2

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm
Hrs of research also and I ruled out the AC all together and the other two?
Seemed the power was close between the two.
Ride was handling was better on RZR in the dunes and faster trail by a margin.
Fit and finish goes to BRP.
Reverse on RZR has a chain that breaks.
BRP ? 2014 and forward has QE front diff with EPS.
Polaris is easier to work on than the BRP due to motor placement.
Polaris or BRP ? I would say pending the deal you can get and a good dealer closest.
IMO

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Hmmm
Hrs of research also and I ruled out the AC all together and the other two?
Seemed the power was close between the two.
Ride was handling was better on RZR in the dunes and faster trail by a margin.
Fit and finish goes to BRP.
Reverse on RZR has a chain that breaks.
BRP ? 2014 and forward has QE front diff with EPS.
Polaris is easier to work on than the BRP due to motor placement.
Polaris or BRP ? I would say pending the deal you can get and a good dealer closest.
IMO

How does the 4 wheel drive compare between the RZR and Maverick? I've heard some say the Maverick sucks and others say its just fine and comparable to the RZR. Personally, I can't see how BRP would come out with the Maverick, an intended direct competitor to the RZR 900, and come out with an inferior all wheel drive system.

So far, despite the RZR being faster, I think I like the look of the Maverick better....

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on your application .
The BRP QE is a big improvement over non QE.
QE is standard on 2014 and newer BRP with power steering.
RZR is like a locked front end.
Rick crawling and mud the more locked the front end is the better IMO.
Wish they had a lockable diff like some others without having to buy it aftermarket.
Halo build one but $1500.00 +\-

Last edited:

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice, it was GREATLY appreciated!!! In the end, here is my new toy!!! It's a 2013 with 300km, 22 hours and not a scratch in sight!!!

Maverick.JPG

Looking forward to tons of fun this summer with the family, now onto the MODS!!! Thinking about a set of 4 point harnesses and power steering to start with.

Top Bottom