SXS wider in front then the back . Can am Defender

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay my cleaver S&Mudders ?
Not sure if all brands are this way but the Can am defenders are 3 inch’s narrower on the back then the front ?
I have measured a few of them now and yep . All the same C to C.
Is it because of the different tires widths from front to back on stock machine ?
Is so the XMR has the with same width tires front and back and still measures 3 inch’s out .
Seems ridiculous to me but must have a season for it ?
I am widening out the back to track correctly as doesn’t make any sense to me .
Be curious to see if other brands are the same or not or it’s a dumb can am thing .

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you hoping to gain, besides cosmetics? Lots of machines are like that.
Back end not fighting against front end . Hard pack it doesn’t matter at all but any ruts the back will be hunting from side to side .
Rolling resistance will be less if tracking the same.
Not really worried about what i think or hope to gain as it’s more of a question as to why I guess?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to do with engine placement and center of gravity?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to do with engine placement and center of gravity?
Wider is more stable and if going narrower on one end I would have thought front as easier on steer’s components and drive line .
I have asked around and even dealers don’t have a answer . Lol
Not surprising but just thought someone must know why .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few answers for you from google. Hope this helps.

Why is front track width wider than rear?

The basic reason for having the front track wider than the rear is due to the weight distrubution when a car takes a corner. Say you are taking a right hand bend. The weight of the car shifts to the front left corner. A wider front track helps reduce understeer as well as keep the car more stable.

Is wider front track better?

So, to sum up the two: the wider the front track, the more front end grip and the better performance through wide-radius bends. The effect is the opposite with a narrower front track.

What does a wider front track do?

A wider track on one end of the car rather than the other will affect the way load is transferred when cornering. A wider front track will tend to reduce the load transfer to the outside when cornering, which increases cornering ability since you'll be able to get more traction from the inside tires.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few answers for you from google. Hope this helps.

Why is front track width wider than rear?

The basic reason for having the front track wider than the rear is due to the weight distrubution when a car takes a corner. Say you are taking a right hand bend. The weight of the car shifts to the front left corner. A wider front track helps reduce understeer as well as keep the car more stable.

Is wider front track better?

So, to sum up the two: the wider the front track, the more front end grip and the better performance through wide-radius bends. The effect is the opposite with a narrower front track.

What does a wider front track do?

A wider track on one end of the car rather than the other will affect the way load is transferred when cornering. A wider front track will tend to reduce the load transfer to the outside when cornering, which increases cornering ability since you'll be able to get more traction from the inside tires.
Yes I have read that but that’s on a passenger car or something heavier . Not something going through the mud and travelling and slow rates of speeds . Like a defender. Lol
GM back in the day had the pickups wider on the front but that as well has been changed .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have read that but that’s on a passenger car or something heavier . Not something going through the mud and travelling and slow rates of speeds . Like a defender. Lol
GM back in the day had the pickups wider on the front but that as well has been changed .

Some people like to pin it and do donuts n'chit. lol

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or maybe they just had a bunch of extra parts kicking around and did a mix and match

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Narrower rear wheels absolutely makes it easier to navigate through tight trails. I’m thankful for this feature every ride I take with mine.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I don't know to me it looks stupid but there must be a reason. A lot of guys put spacers on the back.
It looks even worse on my defender with the wide fender flares out back.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you had skinny/wide tires from the factory, aftermarket same sized wheels will make it much worse.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I don't know to me it looks stupid but there must be a reason. A lot of guys put spacers on the back.
It looks even worse on my defender with the wide fender flares out back.
It’s fixed now and measures 59 inch’s front and back to centre of tires .

Attachments

• 09CB642D-5B2A-4E73-B737-74F65F976C08.jpeg
    09CB642D-5B2A-4E73-B737-74F65F976C08.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 836B9054-D555-4BBD-98FE-F16D8BC3DE4E.jpeg
    836B9054-D555-4BBD-98FE-F16D8BC3DE4E.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 153
Top Bottom