Has There Been Failures on the PRO Yet

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well hopefully this is not a sign of things to come but my buddy was going to go up catterac this weekend and got a mile down the trail and bang. The crank is gone, he has 800 miles on his and has done zero mods. I am very happy with mine so far but a just hope we don't have a problem on our hands here again. I hade to put 4 engines in my 08 but still bought a new Pro this year and have had zero problems. Mine only has 400 miles on it so hopefully nothing happens once I get higher mileage because I love the machine. Just an update on one failure so far that I know of.

Can you give more detail? PTO end sheered off? Just curious :( has he ever blown a belt?

powderhound08

Reaction score
Never blown a belt, had it out the weekend before and ran great. It is in the shop at High river motor sports torn down, waiting for parts. Better be fixed for upcoming weekend cause it is puking in caslte and fernie. Should be an epic weekend.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never blown a belt, had it out the weekend before and ran great. It is in the shop at High river motor sports torn down, waiting for parts. Better be fixed for upcoming weekend cause it is puking in caslte and fernie. Should be an epic weekend.

No details? Just curious if it was a PTO bearing, rod bearing, although the dealer may not want to share that info. Hope he gets it back together in time. Play safe. :beer:

powderhound08

Reaction score
It was the pto bearing, and when it went the crank shaft moved and gouged the case. Needs a new bottom end, crank, rods, case, and pistons. The good news is that this is only the 3rd engine in all of north america to go, and they have all been axactly the same failure, the bearing on the end if the pto. They hope that only a minimal number of bearings are faulty. It sucks cause the bearing is only $5.00 but a new engine is, well you know. Polaris should just send a new crate engine and be done with it, it would probably cost them less.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
usually if the case if damaged polaris will warranty a whole new short block. The only time they will tell you to rebuild it is if the case is still good.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was the pto bearing, and when it went the crank shaft moved and gouged the case. Needs a new bottom end, crank, rods, case, and pistons. The good news is that this is only the 3rd engine in all of north america to go, and they have all been axactly the same failure, the bearing on the end if the pto. They hope that only a minimal number of bearings are faulty. It sucks cause the bearing is only $5.00 but a new engine is, well you know. Polaris should just send a new crate engine and be done with it, it would probably cost them less.

I was wondering who told him that this is only the third motor to go? Just because i have had two pro rmk 800's come thru the shop here that had toasted cranks, due to oil injection issues.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That could very well be. I'd just love to have them have a good reliable motor again. Then could feel confident getting some in to rent again.

ya NO i know of 3 so is it possible i know of all three ? notta:nono:

rockydaug

Reaction score
Well I'll put it this way, so far so good, any problems have been minor and lets not get carried away. It is a man made machine, and there will be some that break down, that is what warranty is for. Stop in any shop, any brand, and it's funny, they all have a service department, behind the parts department, behind the sales department.:rolleyes:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'll put it this way, so far so good, any problems have been minor and lets not get carried away. It is a man made machine, and there will be some that break down, that is what warranty is for. Stop in any shop, any brand, and it's funny, they all have a service department, behind the parts department, behind the sales department.:rolleyes:

Couldn't have said it better, even a condom isn't 100% effective.:d

Not sure where the service department is for warrenty on used/new condoms. :confused:

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You have a very good point, but lets just say Polaris' track record on 8 and 900 twins hasn't been so great the past number of years. I absolutely love the Pro chassis, am almost 100 percent sure I'm going to snowcheck one, but I have a real uneasy feeling about what's under the hood.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a very good point, but lets just say Polaris' track record on 8 and 900 twins hasn't been so great the past number of years. I absolutely love the Pro chassis, am almost 100 percent sure I'm going to snowcheck one, but I have a real uneasy feeling about what's under the hood.

I pull the rope on mine and NEVER worry about it. I believe they have it figured out. You can find any model from any manufacture and I am sure you could find someone that blew one up at some point, the internet just makes it seem worse because the guys that are running good don't usually speak up but if it fails you will hear about it. Then you get the I know a guy that dated a girl that had a brother that blew his up 10 times. I have no doubt that they had issues but I never blew up my 08 and so far my 11 is perfect if thats worth anything lol :beer:

powderhound08

Reaction score
I just want to say that the thread reads (Has there been Failures on the pro yet) I only posted the failure of my buddys sled cause who ever started this thread asked. I LOVE my new pro and the way it rides. We had an epic day up in corbin on friday and my sled pulls hard. Rode 3-4 feet of fresh and was simply amazed at the way the new pro handles the deep stuff. You are right, every manufacturer can't get it 100% everytime. I do believe that the pro has nailed it and would recommend anyone to get one. I am the last person who is going to bash the new pro, they are truly awesome.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was doo then polaris back to doo so happy to see that polaris back in the game.

Beaver

Reaction score
BY THE SOUNDS OF THINGS MOST PEOPLE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE PRO AND FOR HOW MANY IS OUT THERE IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE TO MANY ISSUES.THAT IS QUITE RARE FOR A FIRST YEAR SLED ,HEY BOYS?:clap2:

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BY THE SOUNDS OF THINGS MOST PEOPLE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE PRO AND FOR HOW MANY IS OUT THERE IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE TO MANY ISSUES.THAT IS QUITE RARE FOR A FIRST YEAR SLED ,HEY BOYS?:clap2:
Tryed to explain this to the DOO guys in the XP forum. Waist of time. :( Lights are out over there.:confused:

saskguy

Reaction score
i absolutely love my pro assault and i ride it in the flats and in the hills and it just works. The chassis is fantastic and this new motor is for real.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love the look of the Pro RMK i really want one..But would like to take one for a ride even on the flatland just to see how it feels.. I am concerned about the motors but haven't too much bad things about them this year.I've had an 09 m8 153 and a 09 XP 154 and i enjoyed both.Each had there flaws but what sled doesn't..

Top Bottom