Sled licence plate?

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Curious if anyone still puts plates on their sleds anymore or carries them with on the hill. Its been a very long time since we have been stopped or asked for proof of reg. We still insure everything but wondering if the keeping up on the plate is worth it. Thanks!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends where you ride. I get stopped almost yearly for reg and insurance. I have my plate zip tied to my gas rack. Not sure how BC is, I always get stopped in Alberta and here we must have them displayed.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As someone from Alberta I've been stopped in BC. Photo id, plate attached to sled and registration is asked for. I got a warning ticket for no photo id

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
We get checked at least once a season in BC. I had a sticker made for our sleds with Alberta plates. CO’s didn’t care it wasn’t original plate as long as numbers matched the registration. My sons sled we just put in in the wrap. If you have a wrap make sure serial number is visible still.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As someone from Alberta I've been stopped in BC. Photo id, plate attached to sled and registration is asked for. I got a warning ticket for no photo id
Were you stopped in the staging area / on the hill?

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We get checked at least once a season in BC. I had a sticker made for our sleds with Alberta plates. CO’s didn’t care it wasn’t original plate as long as numbers matched the registration. My sons sled we just put in in the wrap. If you have a wrap make sure serial number is visible still.
OK thanks

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was actually at team dirts local. Left from the houses and luckily we had most everything we needed. They were un loading at the staging area. Apparently photoid is supposed to be with you at all times

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only time I normally get checked in the staging area is on long weekends. Mine is mounted to the sled - they have checked if serial #s match to the registration and checked insurance.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will get checked at Cataract and Etherington for sure most likely in the staging area 90% of the time you go there. Have been checked in the Boulder parking lot once and on the hill by the green tower on Frisby. The last 2 checks they asked where my plate was and I told them in my glove box. He looked at it and said next time I see you it better be on your sled. I pointed out I didn’t want it on my tunnel and have rivet stems rubbing on my track and put it on my flap and lost a plate so he left me alone. I used to drill a couple holes in my flap to mount the plate just to show I tried but don’t anymore. Haven’t been checked now for probably 7-8 yrs

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have AB plates in a bag with registration/insurance papers. Was asked only once in Fernie in 20 years.
I always carry my wallet/drivers licence. Never asked on the trail or on the mountain.
Road check on Monday at Hunters. Just asked for drivers licence and didn’t even look at sled. He did ask “are you coming or going sledding?” "Just coming back sir.” Have a nice day.

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a photo of you plate and make a sticker 5x7 put on left side of tunnel. The real plate in my tunnel bag. NO HOLES. Been doing this for a few years and have been checked and the COs liked it. I also photocopy my DL and put it in with the insurance papers. Easy.. Make it easy so the CO's leave you alone and don't find your beer..lol

Last edited:

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the sled is on your truck or in your trailer you don’t need anything until the sled hits the ground.

I believe this to be true. I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I am wrong.😑

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to add to my last post - we were checked near the caribou closure area in the Queest riding area & another rider was fined for not having registration papers.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks everyone for the quick response. Guess I will keep my reg up to date haha! Happy sledding.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
It was actually at team dirts local. Left from the houses and luckily we had most everything we needed. They were un loading at the staging area. Apparently photoid is supposed to be with you at all times
You must have been with Ned when they checked you guys. Pretty ridiculous getting checked way out there in the middle of nowhere hey. You never know when they will pop up them sneaky fawks.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Take a photo of you plate and make a sticker 5x7 put on left side of tunnel. The real plate in my tunnel bag. NO HOLES. Been doing this for a few years and have been checked and the COs liked it. I also photocopy my DL and put it in with the insurance papers. Easy.. Make it easy so the CO's leave you alone and don't find your beer..lol
This is solid advice. Only break one law at a time and you are usually gonna be fine.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must have been with Ned when they checked you guys. Pretty ridiculous getting checked way out there in the middle of nowhere hey. You never know when they will pop up them sneaky fawks.
Haha yeah. We were with the"mayor" and Ned. Nah don't worry they can't fly today..

Haha couldn't sled worth a ch!t either. Couldn't find it or make their way from the top of the cut block into the zone. Too used to looking at it from the air.

Top Bottom