Guys, This girl needs help

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never done maintenance on a quad, it was always someone eles. Well today is my first time ever. Ok Now I have done lots of stuff on my turck and feel like I can do this.

SO I started with the air cleaner, My god was that bad, I don't think it has ever been done. you don't want to know what I found in there. (I got my quad used last year and have only been in the bush twice with it, was told it had been serviced just befor I got it.)

Now I have the oil change to do no big deal, but I have to change the spark plug. this is where I need help. I have a Suzuki 500 quadmaster. What am I taking apart to find the spark pulg. Remember that I am female and blonde.;) the less I have to take apart the better. I have never done a spark plug on anything and my owner's manual tells me nothing other then the type that I need. So this is the one place I feel really dumb. So help me please. :feedback:

I am going to go change the oil and then check back to see if any one is willing to help me. right about now is when I wish my dad was alive.:(

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never done maintenance on a quad, it was always someone eles. Well today is my first time ever. Ok Now I have done lots of stuff on my turck and feel like I can do this.

SO I started with the air cleaner, My god was that bad, I don't think it has ever been done. you don't want to know what I found in there. (I got my quad used last year and have only been in the bush twice with it, was told it had been serviced just befor I got it.)

Now I have the oil change to do no big deal, but I have to change the spark plug. this is where I need help. I have a Suzuki 500 quadmaster. What am I taking apart to find the spark pulg. Remember that I am female and blonde.;) the less I have to take apart the better. I have never done a spark plug on anything and my owner's manual tells me nothing other then the type that I need. So this is the one place I feel really dumb. So help me please. :feedback:

I am going to go change the oil and then check back to see if any one is willing to help me. right about now is when I wish my dad was alive.:(

Before you get to excited do you have a gaping wrench?

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
...Not to say that U can't do what U are asking............... But don't ya have a friend close by to help ya along the way, Easier than running back & forth to the PC...... Do you think the plug needs to be changed as u say it has just been serviced & ya only got 2 rides in ? But if ya feel ya need to change.. as snot says. U will want to regap the new plug.... U have done mechanical before so I don't think ya will a problem to find the spark plug ! :):beer:

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gap wrench yes covered. I read my book before I want and got everything that I needed. As to help are you kidding, my ex husband is on a plane to the far east, my boyfriend is gone for the weekend and lives 2 hrs away and all other guys that I know know less about this stuff then I do. What is life if you don't learn something new each day, now come on and help me out. I don't think my quad has seen the in side of a service shop in years by what I found in the air clearner. I was told that the spark plug should be changed. so please help me.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
the spark plug will be located on the top of the engine. a rubber boot will be covering it. Remove anything in the way of getting a wrench in there. I believe it is a 5/8 deep but done qoute me. use the new plug to judge. in your owners manual it will give you a spec on the gap. should be around .020. Remove the old spark plug and cover the hole with a clean rag until you are ready to reinstall.you don't want anything in there. BE VERY CAREFULL ON REINSTALL. THE HEAD IS MADE OF VERY SOFT METAL AND WILL STRIP IF CROSSTHREADED. uSE TWO FINGERS ONLY AND SEAT THE WASHER ON THE PLUG. I REPEAT DO NOT FORCE THE PLUG IN. Then using a tourqe wrench tighten to whatever ft/lbs said manual says. Reinstall boot and reinstall all parts that you took off. open beer and smile
Rusty

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Are there side panels you could remove to view the engine ??? Once they are off you should see the plug wire & plug on the cylinder head.....

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say that you can tell that a female did not design the engine, because if we had anything that would need to be changed would be easy to get to not behind tons of other stuff. :rant:
I am done and it runs and only one finger is missing a little skin. not to bad.:clap2:
Now to take it out next weekend and try it out. :thumbsup2:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say that you can tell that a female did not design the engine, because if we had anything that would need to be changed would be easy to get to not behind tons of other stuff. :rant:
I am done and it runs and only one finger is missing a little skin. not to bad.:clap2:
Now to take it out next weekend and try it out. :thumbsup2:
If you think you are done a task on ANY motor, and you aren't bleeding at least a little bit; you've forgotten to do something.:d

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to see you getting your hands dirty my theroy is if you dont know ask the questions there is never a dumb question lots of knowledge on this site for help good job

bigdaddy

Reaction score
Good for you ! Sometimes the little things accomplished make it that much better.Great to see you are offered lots of detailed help.:specool:

Top Bottom