Frequency interference

brokenbones4

Reaction score
I am having issues with my gate opener recently. My remote used to work up to 200 feet away but now even within 20 feet of the opener it is intermittent. My spare fob is doing the same so I changed the batteries in both, same problem. I cleared and reprogrammed them, same problem. I know things like led lights, wifi and such can cause issues so I started reading up on the topic a little but I could use some help.

The remotes operate at 433.92mhz according to the sticker. So I dug my baofeng radio out of the sled gear, and set it to 433.920. Pushing the fob sure enough caused the radio to pickup the signal. So I set the radio to scan and at 433.960 it starts going crazy, sounds like you are inside a helicopter, and does it continuously. I walked around my house and property with no change. This morning I brought the radio in the truck and while l left my rural neighborhood it wasn't until I hit the range road 3/4km from my house that the signal died.

Tonight I just installed a ceiling fan with remote and it was intermittent also, checked it's operating frequency and it says 434mhz FML.

Does anyone have experience with this? How to track down the source, or stop it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am having issues with my gate opener recently. My remote used to work up to 200 feet away but now even within 20 feet of the opener it is intermittent. My spare fob is doing the same so I changed the batteries in both, same problem. I cleared and reprogrammed them, same problem. I know things like led lights, wifi and such can cause issues so I started reading up on the topic a little but I could use some help.

The remotes operate at 433.92mhz according to the sticker. So I dug my baofeng radio out of the sled gear, and set it to 433.920. Pushing the fob sure enough caused the radio to pickup the signal. So I set the radio to scan and at 433.960 it starts going crazy, sounds like you are inside a helicopter, and does it continuously. I walked around my house and property with no change. This morning I brought the radio in the truck and while l left my rural neighborhood it wasn't until I hit the range road 3/4km from my house that the signal died.

Tonight I just installed a ceiling fan with remote and it was intermittent also, checked it's operating frequency and it says 434mhz FML.

Does anyone have experience with this? How to track down the source, or stop it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Short of changing the frequency for your gate I don't know if you'll be able to fix it. There are so many Frequencies coming from every different device in everybody's home at this point, It's bound to interfere with some things. There are certain parking lots that I can't use my truck fob at all. Do you have neighbors close by? You could ask them if they turned on some type of device recently. It could be anything from a new fridge to a Vehicle
The subdivision I recently moved out of I couldn't even use the command start on one of my trucks. Now that I'm a little farther out with a lot less people around everything works great

brokenbones4

Reaction score
I have been looking into the liftmaster universal receiver which operates on a 310/390mhz range. I tried scanning that range with the baofeng radio to make sure there is no interference there but it won't scan to that frequency. I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would something like a ferrite ring correct this? I know it's needs to be wrapped around wires so maybe not for a remote?

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
we have two lift master sliding gates at work and about 15 clickers programmed for them. of the 15 about 4 will only work about 20 feet away from gate all the rest are about 200 or more feet. pain in the ass sometimes

Top Bottom