Geotextile Cloth?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some sort of geotextile cloth that will prevent gravel from getting pressed into clay below.

Any suggestions?

Seems like I am forever buying gravel for the yard.

Preferably in the Edmonton area.

Thx.

DUS

Reaction score
Look up Layfield Group in Edmonton. They carry all sorts of geogrids and I'm sure they could help you out.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look up Layfield Group in Edmonton. They carry all sorts of geogrids and I'm sure they could help you out.

Yup good guys to call.
You will need a solid compacted base and it is best to use geogrid and geo textile.
Unless you use 12-16" minimum fill above the geo's it will break up in the spring. 6" cover will just break up even under light personnel vehicle use. Remember that the geogrid and geotextile do not really bond to either the lower clay or upper gravel. They are just bridging membranes and lay them in the proper order.
Layfield or else a earthworks contractor will tell you minimum cover if you want to confirm.
Nilex is another good company in Edmonton to call for a material price comparison.
Doing an area of any size is a big job to have success. May have a lot of digging before filling.

GOOGLE IT!
lol

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe a better option would be to build up the road base with some pit run to firm things up before you haul the smaller gravel in as a finished layer.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe a better option would be to build up the road base with some pit run to firm things up before you haul the smaller gravel in as a finished layer.

You never use pit run as round rocks don’t bind with anything.
Frost push’s them up and always dealing with those pieces of chit.
Use some 2.5 fracture if clay is soft and pound that in with packer and then top dress with some 3/4 to seal .
Water and smooth drum packer on 3/4 and your good .

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought from Cascade fencing in the west end when I did my driveway.

If you have access to recycled/crushed concrete close by it’s the way to go. No sand so doesn’t get soupy in the spring!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As an ex-surveyor and project manager of 1000’s of km of roads...this chit is pricy. GeoGRID will give some strength. Geotextile just keeps the fines (clays) out if the coarse (gravels). Textile will not help you if your subgrade is weak. Geogrids will only help you marginally if your subgrade is weak. Pack the clay, lay down textile, and lay down 6 to 10” inches of dirty crushed -3/4” gravel. NOT washed rock or pit run. If you have access to cheap pit run, put down 12-16” of it....then put 4” of crush over that. Dirty crushed gravel will pack like a bastard....that’s what you want.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As an ex-surveyor and project manager of 1000’s of km of roads...this chit is pricy. GeoGRID will give some strength. Geotextile just keeps the fines (clays) out if the coarse (gravels). Textile will not help you if your subgrade is weak. Geogrids will only help you marginally if your subgrade is weak. Pack the clay, lay down textile, and lay down 6 to 10” inches of dirty crushed -3/4” gravel. NOT washed rock or pit run. If you have access to cheap pit run, put down 12-16” of it....then put 4” of crush over that. Dirty crushed gravel will pack like a bastard....that’s what you want.

Some great advice DaveB. We use the same ideas constructing our bush roads when we incounter soft ground. Do it right the first time and never worry again. I like the lumber tarp idea too, cheap as heck and as long as it doesn’t brake or rip I guess you have good separation.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use some 2.5 fracture if clay is soft and pound that in with packer and then top dress with some 3/4 to seal .

Cool. Thanks for the info. Good to know.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where does a fella find 2.5" fracture?
That sounds like something the railway uses?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most aggregate suppliers will have it. May even be 3 inch.
We use a lot of it in soft spots on roads .
Needs to be pounded in with pad foot and then top dressed with smaller crush to seal .

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever blendend some limestone aggregate into their existing gravel pad to help stabalize?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are guys seeing for crushed gravel prices? Is $32 per tonne a good price for 1.5" crush run?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a guy was looking for screened or washed rock 100% fractured 1.5" to 2.5" where does a guy look and what is it called?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are guys seeing for crushed gravel prices? Is $32 per tonne a good price for 1.5" crush run?

Is that a delivered price?

I think I pay $25 when I pick up from Villeneuve area.

Top Bottom