Mid-Sized SUV's

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're outgrowing the Wife's Colorado, and she wants to replace it with a 3 row SUV. What's good out there? We don't need something right now, but we want to have the vehicle decided in case it's a model that takes a while to order in. We don't need/want a full sized SUV, but don't want something that looks like a minivan, or a Dodge/Jeep/Stellantis product. Also don't want something Exotic that we'd have to drive to Edmonton to get warranty work or service done on.

Right now we kinda like:
2024 Volkswagen Atlas
2024 Honda Pilot
2024 Toyota Grand Highlander (would likely go Hybrid)

The 2024 Ford Explorer or 2024 GM Acadia or Traverse could be options, of course there's not any on lots to look at or test drive.

Am I missing any we should be looking at? Reliability and Fuel Economy are priorities for us.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new Lexus gx 550 v6 3rd row seat.

Without needing the 3rd row seat the 2024 Landcruiser 4 cylinder hybrid 325 hp and if you get the 1st edition it comes with a center console fridge

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I DD a 18 rx450h, picked it up after Christmas. It rides really nice and has some cool tech inside. Not quite sure I am too on board with the hybrid hype tho, but maybe that’s because the ICE is on more with negative temps?

Anywho overall I like it, and it has yoter reliability but a touch more fancy. Iirc it’s the highlanders twin.

They do come with a 3rd row bench, I think it’s called the 450H-L

They also retain their values well

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20,000k on our 23 atlas execline. no complaints. took it to boise to watch a street outlaws race. 3700k round trip. very compfy to drive.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coworkers atlas just blew its transmission 9000km over it warranty, and they said to bad, 17k replacement bill. Not something I expected from VW, but I guess its a roll of the dice with all manufacturers these days.

Honda pilot is a great vehicle we had one for 10 years, but the new look and the high interest rate and the fact there is no negotiation on the price, made us go with a Grand Cherokee L at 0% last year using my companys fleet code on pricing. I put the V8 in it and dont regret it, its just as good on gas as the Honda it replaced.
It’s very comfortable to drive and it bigger than a pilot, lots of room in the back seats.
Highlander is a decent vehicle as well, didn’t look at one this time round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote would be Toyota or Lexus for reliability, Honda is probably a pretty close second. The Volkswagen from what people I know have had them the last few years were not happy with them, lots of little things wrong with them and expensive to fix. I don’t think they are now as what they used to be. On nice thing is lots of cool stuff the the Toyota you can get so it’s just not another soccer mom vehicle

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are missing out on some of the Dodge product. Have over 100,000 on on our 21 Durango and that vehicle is very sound, handles great and good on fuel. Pretty happy with our last 3.

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I were looking in this category it would be the new Lexus TX. Basically the Lexus version of the Grand Highlander.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited. Third row folds flat, and is very spacious when up. More than enough room for 3 kids or 2 adults. The second row captains chairs are a nice touch too. Separate heating controls as well.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not much of a mini van guy, and I know you dont want these, but im not ur car salesman so whatvever.

Id get the hellcat van, ugly as chit but 700hp.

Lifted jeep wrangler, Or a porche cayenne
Or a g wagon.

Any of this hinda of toyato chit fk no....

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a new Santa Fe coming. Not sure if it is a 2024 or 2025. But it is larger than the old one.

Also a new Palisade coming that looks like a Escalade.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not much of a mini van guy, and I know you dont want these, but im not ur car salesman so whatvever.

I get the hellcat van, ugly as chit but 700hp.

Lifted jeep wrangler, Or a porche cayenne
Or a g wagon.

Any of this hinda of toyato chit fk no....

Not sure if a g wagon is in the same category as a highlander or pilot. But they are sweet! If I had the 200g or more they cost I’d drive one.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if a g wagon is in the same category as a highlander or pilot. But they are sweet! If I had the 200g or more they cost I’d drive one.

Is the hellcat van in pilot territory? Haha

I dont think any of my suggestions were

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If reliability and mileage are your prime concerns then all that should be on the list is the Highlander hybrid. Wife just bought a Highlander non-hybrid but only because availability on the hybrid was brutal.
New Honda Pilot is ugly
VW is junk after 100k km
Mazda CX90 hybrid is getting killer reviews but we did not test drive one as they were just coming out.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are missing out on some of the Dodge product. Have over 100,000 on on our 21 Durango and that vehicle is very sound, handles great and good on fuel. Pretty happy with our last 3.
when i saw you had posted i would have bet my pay check that you were going to recommend a ford. are you ok bud??

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lexus isn't an option we want to look at, we don't have a local dealer, closest is Edmonton.

Wife is adamant against dodge, following the happy wife, happy life rule I'll leave this option off the table.

The Atlas is probably our top pick right now, but as others have mentioned reliability is a concern, and there is currently a recall out on the '24s for debris in lower rod bearing shells.

We don't really like the looks of the Highlander, but I guess that can be overlooked if it's reliable. My parents have a Hybrid RAV4 and it's been good so far, and the Hybrid Highlander I believe has the same drivetrain.

We don't mind the Honda Pilot, it's harder on fuel than the competition, but that would be okay again if it's reliable.

We'll have to have a look at the Telluride and Hyundai.

I'd love to have some giant SUV with gobs of horsepower, but it's primarily the wife's to haul the kids around. We need a vehicle that she's comfortable driving, that's cost effective, and I'd like it to require little more than oil changes for maintenance.

Last edited:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a toyota 4 runner limited with 3rd row seating we both loved that vehicle but it didnt work for the growing fam as were expecting twins so 3 giant ass carseats as we will have 3 kids under 2 so we just got a ford expedition max its on the large size but we do like it

Top Bottom