Mid-Sized SUV's

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll also add the Santa Fe's AWD system is every bit as good as my old 2004 Jeep GC, which could climb walls!
I had a 13 2.0 turbz, AWD system had a known failure point at the driveshaft/tcase sleeve

Not sure if they have changed it for newer stuff tho

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 13 2.0 turbz, AWD system had a known failure point at the driveshaft/tcase sleeve

Not sure if they have changed it for newer stuff tho
We have a 13 Santa Fe sport with about 130km on it... love the thing. hope it lasts.... 4Runner, Yukon, SQ5 are my next interests.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a few things you need to really nail down:

-how often do you need more than 5 people? We have a 2018 Enclave, so essentially a traverse. 3rd row and tons of storage, more than non XL Yukon’s. A few times of the year we use the 3rd row but most of them are only for a quick 10 min drive and 1 or 2 times a 1 hour drive. Is it worth h the extra money/fuel for that?
-age of kids: are you in the car seat stage and or stroller? Once you pass that stage your storage in backseat decreases.

We are looking for a replacement for our 2018 and we are fine not having a 3rd row anymore. We sat in the 24 Atlas, I didn’t like the ergonomics. Also back seat cup holders won’t fit any kids water bottles. The simple stuff is what matters with kids…

I think the Explorer is a great setup but wife doesn’t like Ford…. New bigger highlander is great option too, how’s the order lead time? We will look at 24 Acadia/Traverse once pricing comes out on those.

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys have experience with 4 kids in a mid size? We're torn between something like a Highlander and an expedition max. Would rather get the Highlander because it will probably be more efficient for most of what we do. Just worried about getting one and wishing we had something bigger

Escalade XL, Yukon XL are only GM products that will work for you. Looks like 6 more cuft space over the max.

Brother is on his 2nd Escalade XL and has 4 kids too.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Escalade XL, Yukon XL are only GM products that will work for you. Looks like 6 more cuft space over the max.

Brother is on his 2nd Escalade XL and has 4 kids too.
Anyone have experience with the gm/chev products vs expedition max? I was planning on the ford, but the EcoBoost engine makes me a little nervous now. Had to put new exhaust manifolds on my f150 this year with 140k. Was a big job and the parts weren't cheap. Have read that they also have the same cam phazer issues the old Tritons had on some. That is an even bigger and more expensive job. Chev 5.3 seems to be pretty bulletproof, but to be honest I'm not a big fan of chev products lately. I'm not really brand loyal, but my parents stuff has been really glitchy, and they just don't fit the same. It's like chevs are made for smaller people?

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the gm/chev products vs expedition max? I was planning on the ford, but the EcoBoost engine makes me a little nervous now. Had to put new exhaust manifolds on my f150 this year with 140k. Was a big job and the parts weren't cheap. Have read that they also have the same cam phazer issues the old Tritons had on some. That is an even bigger and more expensive job. Chev 5.3 seems to be pretty bulletproof, but to be honest I'm not a big fan of chev products lately. I'm not really brand loyal, but my parents stuff has been really glitchy, and they just don't fit the same. It's like chevs are made for smaller people?
We have a couple eco boost 3.5s on the farm and have over 400,000 between the two of them only issue i ran into was spark plug change at 190,000 on the one truck we got the 3.5 in the max we just bought and its got plenty of power to move the the hudderite wagon and actually better on fuel then the 4 runner we traded

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're outgrowing the Wife's Colorado, and she wants to replace it with a 3 row SUV. What's good out there? We don't need something right now, but we want to have the vehicle decided in case it's a model that takes a while to order in. We don't need/want a full sized SUV, but don't want something that looks like a minivan, or a Dodge/Jeep/Stellantis product. Also don't want something Exotic that we'd have to drive to Edmonton to get warranty work or service done on.

Right now we kinda like:
2024 Volkswagen Atlas
2024 Honda Pilot
2024 Toyota Grand Highlander (would likely go Hybrid)

The 2024 Ford Explorer or 2024 GM Acadia or Traverse could be options, of course there's not any on lots to look at or test drive.

Am I missing any we should be looking at? Reliability and Fuel Economy are priorities for us.

i would suggest getting a vehicle with as few electric/electronic accesories, if you are looking for reliability!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If reliability and mileage are your prime concerns then all that should be on the list is the Highlander hybrid. Wife just bought a Highlander non-hybrid but only because availability on the hybrid was brutal.
New Honda Pilot is ugly
VW is junk after 100k km
Mazda CX90 hybrid is getting killer reviews but we did not test drive one as they were just coming out.
See my above post lol

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you know its 12 hours to change spark plugs on a highlander

You have to drop the engine-Trans asmb out the bottom to replace the back 3 plugs , as the intake goes under the windshield and can not be removed from the top

2022 was the last year of the V6, all Highlanders (including the hybrid) come with an Inline 4 now, so the spark plugs are on top now and fairly accessible.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2022 was the last year of the V6, all Highlanders come with an Inline 4 now, so the spark plugs are on top now and fairly accessible.
Ya was a v6

Didn't know they went 4 cylinder

Pretty big unit for a 4 banger

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife drives a 2019 suburban. Been fine. We need the space for gear and bags vs # of seats most of the time.

it’s got the 6.2 L. The 5.3 is a gutless slug and the mileage is close to the same. They recommend premium for the 6.2 but we only feed it regular. 190 k no real issues except for the air ride suspension. It’s $$$ when it fawks up.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We’ve got a ‘22 Palisade calligraphy with 67000 km’s on it now. So far problem free & the fuel mileage averages approx 9.6 L/100km. Comfy for driver & passengers. Our son is 6’5 & has enough leg room in the second row. The 3rd row can be a bit cramped for adults but not a problem for kids.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife drives a 2019 suburban. Been fine. We need the space for gear and bags vs # of seats most of the time.

it’s got the 6.2 L. The 5.3 is a gutless slug and the mileage is close to the same. They recommend premium for the 6.2 but we only feed it regular. 190 k no real issues except for the air ride suspension. It’s $$$ when it fawks up.
FYI they make a shock kit and bypass unit to replace to regular shocks now

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We’ve got a ‘22 Palisade calligraphy with 67000 km’s on it now. So far problem free & the fuel mileage averages approx 9.6 L/100km. Comfy for driver & passengers. Our son is 6’5 & has enough leg room in the second row. The 3rd row can be a bit cramped for adults but not a problem for kids.
we looked seriously at a 2023. test drove one. beauty of a machine. lots of kool features. when it came time to talk turkey thats when it went down hill for us. sticker was 58999.00. sales broad says ya but we sell them for 69999.00. i asked why. she said because we can. if you don't want to pay someone else will. goodbye. went across the street and bought an execline atlas. no hassle!

Top Bottom