Mid-Sized SUV's

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ported blower and cam gets you 750hp ish to the tire.

Thats wicked. Im not much of suv guy.

I like trucks and sports cars, muscle cars.
Jeeps wranglers. I guess thats a suv kind of.

gforce_15

Reaction score
Did they fix the engine issues on these now? The first Acadias out were atrocious and famous for eating engines bad.
I think the first generation 3.6L in the 07-09 acadia's were bad for timing chains..our 2016 was the 3rd generation of the 3.6 and it was good for us (only had 180k on it though when we traded). Wife's '23 traverse is another generation of the 3.6L so hopefully it'll be trouble free like her last one. She'll be upgrading before it hits 200k though I'm sure

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My vote goes to one of those….YOLO lol

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So back to gay slow SUVs for the trophy wife…

Family member is selling a 19 outback 3.6R with under 70k on it. Our Santa Fe is over 160k now so maybe do the upgrade?

I drove it, don’t really like the CVT but I’m sure I’ll get used to it for the little amount I would drive it. Feels like a new car still.

Thoughts?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have any first hand experience with Subaru's but I know lots of people with them that are die hards for them.

My sister has a newer Santa Fe and it's been good to her, she moved to it from a Murano

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Family member is selling a 19 outback 3.6R with under 70k on it. Our Santa Fe is over 160k now so maybe do the upgrade?

I drove it, don’t really like the CVT but I’m sure I’ll get used to it for the little amount I would drive it. Feels like a new car still.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't own a Subaru. Not known for reliable motors, headgaskets are practically a maintenance item.

My wife has had her Highlander for 6 months now and the verdict is in, get the bigger Grand Highlander.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear the same on head gaskets but I have read the 3.6R has minimal issues with that specifically. I've got the wagon for a few more days to test drive and with no push to take it or a deadline... I'll play it by ear.

Our 2013 Santa Fe sport 2.0T has been great to 160K but I don't know how long that good luck will last? I have been monitoring oil level closely and I haven't noticed it burning any yet...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear the same on head gaskets but I have read the 3.6R has minimal issues with that specifically. I've got the wagon for a few more days to test drive and with no push to take it or a deadline... I'll play it by ear.

Our 2013 Santa Fe sport 2.0T has been great to 160K but I don't know how long that good luck will last? I have been monitoring oil level closely and I haven't noticed it burning any yet...
Were those the ones (hyundai) that like to toss rods on the highway?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't own a Subaru. Not known for reliable motors, headgaskets are practically a maintenance item.

My wife has had her Highlander for 6 months now and the verdict is in, get the bigger Grand Highlander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were those the ones (hyundai) that like to toss rods on the highway?
From what I've read, they either pack the piston rings up with carbon and score the cylinder walls causing oil consumption or the bottom end dies.... lots of stories of them being fine and then kaboom randomly

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?
How well does the family member take care of vehicles and other things they own ? Knowing the real history is worth a lot.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer maintained since new, only really driven by my aunt in the winter months from the acreage into the city and it was mostly parked for summers.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer maintained since new, only really driven by my aunt in the winter months from the acreage into the city and it was mostly parked for summers.

What’s the price difference from a 2019 to the same model brand new? Toyota and Subaru have the highest prices right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't started talking money yet. KBB says its worth 19-20K but they're 25-30K used online. I'm hoping to get it around 20, if we make the deal.

New they're around 45K plus the fees/taxes.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the little bit I have worked on friends' Subarus in my shop, I don't think I would touch one. One buddy keeps a spare bag of lug nuts in his glove compartment because you usually strip a couple when you take your tires off he says. I stripped two when taking the tires off. Properly torqued. I've never heard of stripping a bolt undoing it

Top Bottom