Elkford Conditions.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In Smith Basin, 30-35 cm of fresh on top of the ridden out hard pack. Within that fresh is a 2" rain crust 5 cm from the top. Pockets of wind blown are a little deeper. Open areas are well ridden and the trees is where the untracked can be found. Fresh was falling today and very little sunshine. The Bull River cut blocks are like porridge with a day old crust on top. Stucks are a real beotch.......in the wet heavy snow.

The flatlanders had a great time in the open areas and appreciated the great views.

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Smith Basin, 30-35 cm of fresh on top of the ridden out hard pack. Within that fresh is a 2" rain crust 5 cm from the top. Pockets of wind blown are a little deeper. Open areas are well ridden and the trees is where the untracked can be found. Fresh was falling today and very little sunshine. The Bull River cut blocks are like porridge with a day old crust on top. Stucks are a real beotch.......in the wet heavy snow.

The flatlanders had a great time in the open areas and appreciated the great views.

View attachment 195593

View attachment 195594
The flatlanders are grateful for conditions that hid our talent deficiencies!

And BTW...thanks for "guiding" some friends around!

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
30 cm of fresh and much more (close to 60 cm) in the wind blown collection areas. A definite difference in areas comparing Smith, Mear, and Tundra. A great day with untracked in one group of basins and totally tracked out in another. Interesting where people chose to ride!

Frame-16-03-2016-07-58-06.jpg Frame-16-03-2016-07-58-53.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I know this won't reach any of the many people who are riding the chutes along side the Crossing Creek trail in Elkford but I have to say it. There are too many people riding up the dangerous chutes and consequences are likely to be very high. I have groomed the trail for 6 years, ridden it for 15 years and I have never seen such blatant disregard for Mother Nature. Yes, Avalanche Canada has the hazard at Moderate but IMHO, it is just a matter of time before someone bites the dust in Elkford. I won't discuss the areas of high avalanche risk (areas where there are many slides throughout the season) that riders are climbing as it is there "right" to ride where they see fit. The evidence remaining from the high marking is over whelming. The early season weak layers are still there and the loading is continuing. It is just a matter of time and the longer it takes for the snow to release, the higher are the consequences if someone is caught off guard.

Please use your brain out there and ride safe.

Reaction score
Thinking of making a trip out there this weekend. Trying to decide between Coal creek and Elkford. I have never ridden Elkford and wonder how the conditions and trails are. Planning to do off trail riding should the conditions allow. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this won't reach any of the many people who are riding the chutes along side the Crossing Creek trail in Elkford but I have to say it. There are too many people riding up the dangerous chutes and consequences are likely to be very high. I have groomed the trail for 6 years, ridden it for 15 years and I have never seen such blatant disregard for Mother Nature. Yes, Avalanche Canada has the hazard at Moderate but IMHO, it is just a matter of time before someone bites the dust in Elkford. I won't discuss the areas of high avalanche risk (areas where there are many slides throughout the season) that riders are climbing as it is there "right" to ride where they see fit. The evidence remaining from the high marking is over whelming. The early season weak layers are still there and the loading is continuing. It is just a matter of time and the longer it takes for the snow to release, the higher are the consequences if someone is caught off guard.

Please use your brain out there and ride safe.

This boggles my mind Doug, it doesn't take a lot of common sense to ride past these chutes and see the horrible terrain traps, run out areas and evidence of past slides... if you triggered something on any of these chutes you could end up 20+ feet under the snow.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thinking of making a trip out there this weekend. Trying to decide between Coal creek and Elkford. I have never ridden Elkford and wonder how the conditions and trails are. Planning to do off trail riding should the conditions allow. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would recommend Coal Creek. The trail will be freshly groomed and there is up to 30 cm of fresh in the trees. We rode Coal Creek on Tuesday and today (Thursday) and rode Elkford on Wednesday. There is nice snow in Elkford but you will have trouble finding it and the areas are small. All the open areas are packed and rode hard. The trail hasn't been groomed in awhile and it is rough.

Coal Creek on the other hand has lots of untracked in the trees and there are lots of hidden gems to take advantage of. Yes, the open areas have been ridden but the new snow is a nice freshen up.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This boggles my mind Doug, it doesn't take a lot of common sense to ride past these chutes and see the horrible terrain traps, run out areas and evidence of past slides... if you triggered something on any of these chutes you could end up 20+ feet under the snow.

Yes, my mind also. The picture below is from (normally) the smallest and last chute. The others on the trail below are much bigger and deeper in the run-out zone. How anybody in their right mind would climb these is beyond me. Life is too short and there are way too many things to enjoy rather than tempting fate in these chutes. I don't care who you are, it is dumb to be in the meat of these chutes any longer than one has to be to get up the trail. Always practice the proper protocol with one at a time going through the zone and that is particularly important in the spring on the way down with the solar radiation throughout the day.The snowcat in the picture is about 12' high and one can figure out how deep the debris pile is across the trail.

Groomer7RE.jpg

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have any of the slides came down yet, or are they still all loading up?

That almost pisses me off. What's worse then the first set of tracks, is likely somoene who might not know better, will be the one to unknowingly follow, and very likely be the poor sap who winds up on the news.

I wonder if the same assholes doing it as before?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Have any of the slides came down yet, or are they still all loading up?

That almost pisses me off. What's worse then the first set of tracks, is likely somoene who might not know better, will be the one to unknowingly follow, and very likely be the poor sap who winds up on the news.

I wonder if the same assholes doing it as before?

I never thought about that scenario. Very true, that many people follow like a herd of cows on the same trail not knowing the dangers that lurk.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great picture bopper! Not sure if I like the color and detail in the tree more than the white dusting on the mountains! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great picture bopper! Not sure if I like the color and detail in the tree more than the white dusting on the mountains! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Gotta love a quick snap of the iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in crowsnest last weekend and this happened. At hole one teeing off there was next to nothing. By hole 17 clouds has moved out and showed this.
Can't wait!

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Decided to go for a spin this morning and found 12-18" of snow on the roads, nice start for October let it snow!

I was going to go work on the winter cabin this coming weekend. This pic makes me want to bring the sled instead.

Top Bottom