Don't plow with your quad in St.Albert

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a completely different can of worms. pretty much all municipalities, strathcona city of edmonton..everywhere..have forgotten there first budget priority is snow clearing and infastructure maintenance. everything else coems after that. social programs and bs.

i had to laugh while reading the sherwood park newspaper and the headline says " level 2 snowclearing budget approved"

nononoono there is NO snowclearing budget. get it done. whatever is left over after that and the potholes fixed int he springtime can be spent elsewhere.

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
updater to the story

St. Albert hasn’t seen the last of Jon Cooper and his plow-equipped quad.

The 62-year-old chiropractor vows to continue clearing sidewalk snow for area seniors, despite being ticketed by St. Albert RCMP.

Cooper said a massive public outpouring of support convinced him he was doing the right thing.

“My phone has been going nuts this morning,” Cooper said Tuesday, after his story appeared on the front page of the Edmonton Sun.

The callers included a representative from Grandin Towing, who refunded Cooper’s $350 tow and impoundment fee.

“Now that I’m getting so much support, yeah, I’ll do it again,” Cooper said.

Cooper’s problems started Saturday when his quad got stuck in a snowbank while he was clearing the walkway.

His 35-year-old son drove a truck onto Bellerose Drive and the pair attempted to use the vehicle to pull out the ATV.

The ATV is the same machine he uses every year to help seniors living in the nearby seniors complex get to the local drug and grocery store.

Police soon showed up and handed Cooper a $250 ticket after being charged with riding a quad on a public sidewalk. That was on top of the towing and impoundment fee.

His son was also arrested and is facing criminal charges, including resisting arrest.

Cooper said he plans to fight to have the bylaw changed.

He said he believes police over-reacted.

“There was no justification for what happened at all,” Cooper said.

St. Albert RCMP Cpl. Laurel Kading said there were at least two other incidents over the weekend where municipal enforcement officers in St. Albert came across people using quads to clear sidewalks.

She said in those cases, the riders were cooperative and no tickets were issued.

In this case, an officer saw two vehicles nearly collide to avoid the truck being used to pull out the quad, Kading said.

“It’s always assessed on a case by case basis,” she said. “In this instance we’re compounded with the vehicle being a hazard on the street and a near collision just about happening, and the interaction (with RCMP officers).

“It ended with a ticket being issued and other charges pending.”

She stressed officers were not out “scouring the city looking for ATVs. That was not our priority.”

Meanwhile, Jim Paul, general manager of Grandin Towing, said he thought it best to reverse the towing and impound charges.

“I wanted to keep good relations between all parties involved and hopefully try to put the fire out before it gets any worse,” he said.

frank.landry@sunmedia.ca

dschwindt

Reaction score
Dont do anything anymore around a cop they may just come up and kick you in the face when your on your knees. BS, and there the law. Just had to add this to vent.:nono:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quit using my quad to plow my driveway 3 years ago. Never had any complaints, it's just too freakin cold. I use my Bobcat now, and if I were to end up in the hot seat like this guy and his son, there would be a ton of older folks going to the hospital for exposure and hernias because I do around 20 driveways on my street when it snows. It's something I enjoy alot, and I feel for these 2 guys...get a sh!t kicking trying to do something nice. I'm not usually one to bash the cops, but....

friggin douchebag cops!!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW that is pathetic on the cops part. getting fawking retarded when you cant even be a good citizen without getting arrested ya canada! maybe the bacon bits should be actually doing some work and help the elderly out as well they have all these fancy quads and sidexsides that we the tax payers pay for strap a blade to them and let them do it then they dont have to worry about people using there atv's to clear the snow

steveo

Reaction score
i was talking to jon cooper and the reason his son fliped was when the cops started with the son saying that they almost caused a crash wich is untrue.They impounded his quad as well that cost 350.00 to get out and the 250.00 fine on top of the impound fees.Cops used no common sense in this matter...they are getting a lawyer and fighting this.
This brings me to the next subject....jon will be going to St Albert city council and try to get the by-laws changed.I dont know how to get a petition going to help him and show that not all atv users rip up campgrounds and destroy property.......would the memebers of snow and mud be willing to get something going like this.....as soon as he get results in St Albert he would be willing to help me and try to get the by-laws changed in Edmonton aswell.
Jon was waiting on a call from the mayor of St Albert today and from what i heard on the news this evening the mayor of st albert is looking at changing the bylaws so this does not happen to anyone helping others.( as long as people use COMMON SENSE !!!!)

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was talking to jon cooper and the reason his son fliped was when the cops started with the son saying that they almost caused a crash wich is untrue.They impounded his quad as well that cost 350.00 to get out and the 250.00 fine on top of the impound fees.Cops used no common sense in this matter...they are getting a lawyer and fighting this.
This brings me to the next subject....jon will be going to St Albert city council and try to get the by-laws changed.I dont know how to get a petition going to help him and show that not all atv users rip up campgrounds and destroy property.......would the memebers of snow and mud be willing to get something going like this.....as soon as he get results in St Albert he would be willing to help me and try to get the by-laws changed in Edmonton aswell.
Jon was waiting on a call from the mayor of St Albert today and from what i heard on the news this evening the mayor of st albert is looking at changing the bylaws so this does not happen to anyone helping others.( as long as people use COMMON SENSE !!!!)

i'd gladly sign and help out however i could.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
What floors me about all this is .........how come you can drive a rubber tire hoe through town....a big loader,,in Airdrie they drive gators all over the place with blades on them..skid steers,,,basically anything besides Quads.....
I had a blade on my old quad and put lots of miles on in the winter plowing ,,,,got offered money,beer, dope for my services,,,,,Just a unreal story.....hope there is some apology given to the Doctor!!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I thought Global News stated that Edmonton has no specific bylaw with regards to ATV use, they rely on provisions under the Highway Traffic Act. So in order to make it legal in Edmonton those provisions under the HTA would need to be changed... A representitve from the city of Edmonton stated that they would not be enforcing HTA restrictions for snow removal...

Andoo

Respected Military Member
Reaction score
ya OK I agree that this wasn't handled very good by the RCMP and they are probrably wishing right now that they would have done the simple thing and became hero's and helped instead of becoming the young power tripping donut eating goofs that people feel they may be....but lets go back to the start! Lets don't forget about the fine folk that just DROVE ON BY....the article states that there were 2 vehicles that almost collided with the truck ...if he had his hazard lights on....what does that say....there is a hazard ! Think?! ....maybe slow down or get out a lend a hand you moron's! NO....what do they do....drive on by or call the cops because they hindered their driving skills when all these folkes are trying to do is get unstuck! Look what happened to Ron the other day....guy pulls up...see's he's stuck and whats he do?....puts it in R for race and leaves....real nice way to be starting out 2011! Karma to all these bad folk....please stay away from my sandbox this year...my patience is limited to fine folk...I wanna try and be nice this year!

The two who almost collided were more than likely texting or talking on the old cell phone and not paying attention/driving to the weather conditions.....

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a city doesn't make any money from it or a business thinks they are losing money because of it, then the powers that be won't allow it.

I suspect that it is more of a liability thing. Goes both ways. Yer cleaning out the sidewalk drive way and you whoops a utility box covered in the snow. Utility co wants you to pay 1000$ to pay for damaged box, repair crew fees, and so on and so on. Or you are running down the sidewalk and nail a heaved chunk of sidewalk and sends you flyin over the handle bars and are injured. You want to sue the city for injuries and damaged quad due to the dangerous sidewalk.

A friend of mine yrs ago was operating a frt end loader around the city clearing railway crossings and so on. Used to make a few quick $ on the side clearing driveways for people that flagged him down. One day he cracks off a corner of a guys driveway, dirt underneath had washed out and weight of loader caused cement to break off and drop about a foot. Guy screams bloody blew murder and co he worked for ended up paying for repairs to driveway and he got canned.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope the Chiropractor and his son can "straighten" things out. :d

If there is a petition I'd be glad to vote, and if it makes its way to Edmonton, even better.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont do anything anymore around a cop they may just come up and kick you in the face when your on your knees. BS, and there the law. Just had to add this to vent.:nono:

they also carry guns and tazers, also like using them. kick to the chops may be the lesser of evils. :beer:

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they also carry guns and tazers, also like using them. kick to the chops may be the lesser of evils. :beer:
dude, did you see the guy's injuries in the vid after they let him out of jail 3 days later? that must have been very close to blinding him in his right eye....I'd rather take the tazer than a cop boot to the orbital bone.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dude, did you see the guy's injuries in the vid after they let him out of jail 3 days later? that must have been very close to blinding him in his right eye....I'd rather take the tazer than a cop boot to the orbital bone.

yeah but they havent killed anyone YET with the boots

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
That video was harsh of that police man kicking the guy in the face. Hope he gets fired for excessive force. The guy was doing what he was told.

Did you see that big pool of blood from the boot to the face??

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Top Bottom