Don't plow with your quad in St.Albert

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EDMONTON — A longtime chiropractor thought he was doing a good deed over the weekend, clearing sidewalk snow for area seniors with his ATV.

Then St. Albert RCMP showed up.

Dr. Jon Cooper, 62, runs the St. Albert Chiropractic & Massage Wellness Centre in St. Albert, just north of Edmonton, with his son, Dan Cooper.

Jon Cooper says he was clearing up the snow along the sidewalk when he became stuck in a massive snowbank around 1 p.m. Saturday.

His 35-year-old son drove a truck on the road and the pair used the vehicle in an effort to pull the snow-lodged machine.

The ATV is the same machine he uses every year to help seniors living in the nearby seniors' complex get to the local drug and grocery store.

"My son put the truck's four-way flashers on and he got out and directed traffic so no one would hit us," said Jon Cooper.

"We were just about ready to pull out the quad when the police showed up.

"I thought they would give us a hand because there was so much snow, but it just turned out to be a nightmare."

That's when the Good Samaritan was slapped with a $250 ticket after being charged with riding a quad on a public sidewalk -- a St. Albert bylaw violation, says St. Albert RCMP.

The amount of cash he paid for the ticket is on top of the $350 he paid to get his machine out of a police impound lot.

His son, who is considering hiring a lawyer over the case, was also arrested and is facing criminal charges, including resisting arrest.

"We told them what we were doing and they refused to listen to us," said Dan, 35, who also practices in his father's trade.

"I was telling an officer what we were doing and the next thing you know, he puts me on the ground and places me under arrest. I wasn't being aggressive or abusive."

Cpl. Laurel Kading, a spokeswoman with the St. Albert RCMP, says criminal charges are pending in relation to the case.

Kading says two officers had to act because Cooper's truck had a "near collision" with two other vehicles on the road.

"Our members weren't out looking for the ATV that day," said Kading.

"In this situation, it was the hazardous vehicle that started all of this."

Kading says Mounties still encourage people to help their neighbours by using shovels and snowblowers to clean sidewalks -- machines that are considered legal.

However, St. Albert RCMP Detachment is located a block away from Jon Cooper's practice on Bellerose Drive and chiropractor says his ATV snowplow has never been a problem with police until now.

"I will never go out there and do those sidewalks again, not after this," he said.

"We were just trying to do a nice thing for people."

lander800

Reaction score
Hey did someone get part of the incident on video, I saw a similiar thing on facebook but thought it was in Stony Plain or Spruce Grove.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd like to say some colorful words right now but knowing my luck they'd hunt me down and arest me too...

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EDMONTON — A longtime chiropractor thought he was doing a good deed over the weekend, clearing sidewalk snow for area seniors with his ATV.

Then St. Albert RCMP showed up.

Dr. Jon Cooper, 62, runs the St. Albert Chiropractic & Massage Wellness Centre in St. Albert, just north of Edmonton, with his son, Dan Cooper.

Jon Cooper says he was clearing up the snow along the sidewalk when he became stuck in a massive snowbank around 1 p.m. Saturday.

His 35-year-old son drove a truck on the road and the pair used the vehicle in an effort to pull the snow-lodged machine.

The ATV is the same machine he uses every year to help seniors living in the nearby seniors' complex get to the local drug and grocery store.

"My son put the truck's four-way flashers on and he got out and directed traffic so no one would hit us," said Jon Cooper.

"We were just about ready to pull out the quad when the police showed up.

"I thought they would give us a hand because there was so much snow, but it just turned out to be a nightmare."

That's when the Good Samaritan was slapped with a $250 ticket after being charged with riding a quad on a public sidewalk -- a St. Albert bylaw violation, says St. Albert RCMP.

The amount of cash he paid for the ticket is on top of the $350 he paid to get his machine out of a police impound lot.

His son, who is considering hiring a lawyer over the case, was also arrested and is facing criminal charges, including resisting arrest.

"We told them what we were doing and they refused to listen to us," said Dan, 35, who also practices in his father's trade.

"I was telling an officer what we were doing and the next thing you know, he puts me on the ground and places me under arrest. I wasn't being aggressive or abusive."

Cpl. Laurel Kading, a spokeswoman with the St. Albert RCMP, says criminal charges are pending in relation to the case.

Kading says two officers had to act because Cooper's truck had a "near collision" with two other vehicles on the road.

Kading says Mounties still encourage people to help their neighbours by using shovels and snowblowers to clean sidewalks -- machines that are considered legal.

However, St. Albert RCMP Detachment is located a block away from Jon Cooper's practice on Bellerose Drive and chiropractor says his ATV snowplow has never been a problem with police until now.

"I will never go out there and do those sidewalks again, not after this," he said.

"We were just trying to do a nice thing for people."

i'd fight that all the way.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually witnessed this on the way to Canadian Tire on Saturday. I didn't realize the one guy was arrested. What a joke... All the more reason that I want to move out of this sh!thole town. I've only known one decent cop in this town that did his job well and was easy to deal with and reasonable...

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope these cops get whats coming to them. Thats complete BS. What goes around comes around... :nono:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a wonder most people hate the police :rolleyes: Common sense ain't to common when it comes to law enforcement. I'm surprised they aren't giving tickets to people with skidsteers clearing the roads to!

I know someones going to reply that he was breaking the law, but there is NO fawking reason to ticket someone clearing a sidewalk with a quad.

I would resist arrest to if a cop was being that big of a idiot.

Altapeet

Reaction score
Can`t really blame the police! I mean now that they have private contractors doing their dirty work with the photo radar and the little sherrifs doing their dirty work on the hi ways and county roads, These guys have got nothing better to do with their time .They can only sit at Tims for so many hours in the day ,and when they try to catch real criminals they just embarrass themselves ,so they goy after those hard nosed do gooders out helping people. That guy is lucky they didn`t tazer him!!
:twocents:

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something like this happened to my bosses neighbor in St Albert as well this weekend. He doesn't use the quad in the winter and registration had expired, however with the snow he pulled it out and started helping elderly neighbors, plowing out driveways and sidewalks...needless to say friendly neighborhood RCMP came along and gave him a ticket for....yep you guessed it...no registration. Frickin azzhats

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope these cops get whats coming to them. Thats complete BS. What goes around comes around... :nono:

The St Albert RCMP detachment must be real proud of their members today!!:(:(

Way to go guys! :nono:

Thats what I call "community policing". :realmad:

Was that really the best use of public funds? :realmad:

If that "trouble making Doctor & his son" were disrupting traffic so bad, the smart thing would have been to park their cruiser with the flashers on while the quad got pulled out. I bet that would have taken no more than 5 or 10 minutes. But you showed them who's in charge......:rules:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Somebody should kick those cops in the nuts!!!!!!!!
Is somebody setting up a fund for this one???????
Cause I will MOST DEFINATELY donate to the legal costs of defending these charges!!!
Are there pictures of these douchebag cops so we can recognise them if we run into them at Timmies and give them a bumb-slap and a "good job"!!!!!!

lander800

Reaction score
The Edmonton Sun talked with Dr. Cooper and it is a little discouraging, makes you not want to help out in your community. But it will not discourage everyone including myself for helping out in our neighbourhood.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so whats the deal with using a atv to clear your own driveway in the city or say plowing the back axcess road????? im just curious as i had planed on getting a snow blade for the new place in spruce grove but now im not so sure.

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, given the BC video of the officer kicking the man in the head and now this; makes you wonder why the RCMP have an image problem!

Better have another meeting at Tim's to figure out the solution to there image problem....

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is disgusting! They don't seem to want to show up when the real law breakers are out and then show up like real hero's and arrest the decent helpful sort..things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

Top Bottom