Diesel Vs Gas 2500/3500

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was such a difference throughout Alberta, I stand corrected! The prices are even here today at 119.9 lol
We just brought a diesel refinery online so that makes sense.

Tax columm, grr.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe long term if you assuming your emissions systems are going to fail, which they probably will, but it isnt 3x for normal maintenance. The ford 6.7 takes 6 more litres of oil than the 6.2. The duramax only takes 3 more litres. Filters are pretty much the same.

Assuming 3oil changes a year, that’s 39L for a diesel, 21 for the gasser. Filters $7 each for gas, $18 for diesel each. Fuel filters $45 diesel, 0 gas. DEF, fuel conditioner $40+ diesel, 0 gas. Depending on how much fuel conditioner you use, that number can go up quite a bit. Diesel trucks need front end and brake work sooner as well, particularly if you drive a Fiat. Long term the diesel has much higher costs to operate. Eventually the cats ina gasser and the DPF in a diesel will need replacement. Way more in a diesel as well

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Assuming 3oil changes a year, that’s 39L for a diesel, 21 for the gasser. Filters $7 each for gas, $18 for diesel each. Fuel filters $45 diesel, 0 gas. DEF, fuel conditioner $40+ diesel, 0 gas. Depending on how much fuel conditioner you use, that number can go up quite a bit. Diesel trucks need front end and brake work sooner as well, particularly if you drive a Fiat. Long term the diesel has much higher costs to operate. Eventually the cats ina gasser and the DPF in a diesel will need replacement. Way more in a diesel as well
Then yep, you better buy a gasser if you are worried about $225/year of extra maintenance.

I'll give you the DPF/EGR cost risk (which is say $1500 for a delete and tune) and brakes and front end work only maybe. I had a 2010 Ford 6.4 and didn't touch the front end in 200,000 km. Had to get a out of province inspection and was still all good.

My opinion (and that is all that it is) is if you are doing little short commutes which is hard on a diesel, buy a gasser. If you don't have enough money, buy a gasser. Other than that, if you need a 3/4+, buy a diesel. I also live in the lower mainland where diesel is $0.10/L cheaper than gas, plus the fact it get's better than 10% mileage than a gasser, my extra "maintenance" costs are a wash. Plus, when I actually want to haul something, I enjoy it.

I took my 2016 Duramax on a 4000km trip to from Vancouver to Sask and back last summer and averaged 12.5l/100km at 120km/hr, which included all the city driving, a regen, muddy gravel roads, etc. I saved 160L in fuel over driving a gasser at 16.5 L/100km.

xpbrian

Reaction score
Then yep, you better buy a gasser if you are worried about $225/year of extra maintenance.

I'll give you the DPF/EGR cost risk (which is say $1500 for a delete and tune) and brakes and front end work only maybe. I had a 2010 Ford 6.4 and didn't touch the front end in 200,000 km. Had to get a out of province inspection and was still all good.

My opinion (and that is all that it is) is if you are doing little short commutes which is hard on a diesel, buy a gasser. If you don't have enough money, buy a gasser. Other than that, if you need a 3/4+, buy a diesel. I also live in the lower mainland where diesel is $0.10/L cheaper than gas, plus the fact it get's better than 10% mileage than a gasser, my extra "maintenance" costs are a wash. Plus, when I actually want to haul something, I enjoy it.

I took my 2016 Duramax on a 4000km trip to from Vancouver to Sask and back last summer and averaged 12.5l/100km at 120km/hr, which included all the city driving, a regen, muddy gravel roads, etc. I saved 160L in fuel over driving a gasser at 16.5 L/100km.
Just a question,but how do you know when a duramax does a regen?

xpbrian

Reaction score
It may idle faster due to numerous reasons such as current draw (alternator load) and a/c load also fan load for cooling but my GM school teacher always said it was engineered to be unobtrusive to driver.Neither of my last two duramax gave any indication they were doing regen's.Other than poor mileage of 2008 model you never know.Unlike a buddies f350 that actually gave a message.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may idle faster due to numerous reasons such as current draw (alternator load) and a/c load also fan load for cooling but my GM school teacher always said it was engineered to be unobtrusive to driver.Neither of my last two duramax gave any indication they were doing regen's.Other than poor mileage of 2008 model you never know.Unlike a buddies f350 that actually gave a message.
I can tell very quickly if it is on a regen. Simply look at your instantaneous fuel milage and it jumps immediately. Also, if you come to a stop, it idles higher enough to notice. Shift to Neutral and you can see. Not saying a high current draw may not do the same thing, but it is quite obvious on a regen. Also, you can smell the crap in the cab at slower speeds as it burns off. Sure, if you are oblivious to your truck it may be unobtrusive, but if you are paying any attention at all, you can tell.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can tell very quickly if it is on a regen. Simply look at your instantaneous fuel milage and it jumps immediately. Also, if you come to a stop, it idles higher enough to notice. Shift to Neutral and you can see. Not saying a high current draw may not do the same thing, but it is quite obvious on a regen. Also, you can smell the crap in the cab at slower speeds as it burns off. Sure, if you are oblivious to your truck it may be unobtrusive, but if you are paying any attention at all, you can tell.
Ya it idles high enough that you have to apply more brake pressure than normal when stopped. ALOT more than just higher idle from an a/c load. It's noticeable.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
How long do the regens last? How much does it affect the fuel economy?

Probably 30 min start to finish. It will lower your economy substantially until it’s done. I’d say from 12L to 16 L (empty ) I guess. I don’t watch it that close though.
I don’t shut it off till it’s done. Just cause I’m weird that way lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regens happen every 1-2 tanks of fuel depending on what's been going on

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So on 10,000L @ 14.5l/100km your gonna be within $1000 either way.

Thats roughly 69,000km of driving.

Don't wash the truck and you will break even on fuel price differentials.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably 30 min start to finish. It will lower your economy substantially until it’s done. I’d say from 12L to 16 L (empty ) I guess. I don’t watch it that close though.
I don’t shut it off till it’s done. Just cause I’m weird that way lol

How often do they happen? Is it less often if you’re working it hard, or is it just a volume of fuel thing, like every xxxx litres it does a regen.

armymags1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve only noticed my 2017 duramax regent once in 29,000k so unless I’m oblivious not much to worry about

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I would guess every other tank of fuel probably. Like I said I don’t really keep track So roughly every 1500 km maybe.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never wanted a diesel. But got a larger trailer and gas engine was not enough power.

Now or having the diesel It has been great.

Dont find it expensive.

Top Bottom