clutch drain

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has any one found a way to put a drain plug on the clutch cover of an 800 outlander?

The Captain

Reaction score
The bottom - rear bolt on the clutch cover is the drain plug. Remove that bolt (either 8mm or 10mm wrench) and the water will drain out the back side. Still a good idea to put the machine in neutral and rev it up to remove any excess water.

MoAb Racing

Reaction score
Go to yamaha and get one of there drain plugs. Drill a hole in the bottom of the CVT cover and install the drain. I also suggest doing the same for the air box as there isnt a drain there either. You can also use a tire stem is ya want just take the valve out drill a hole and install.

juicy

Reaction score
Go to yamaha and get one of there drain plugs. Drill a hole in the bottom of the CVT cover and install the drain. I also suggest doing the same for the air box as there isnt a drain there either. You can also use a tire stem is ya want just take the valve out drill a hole and install.

Yup I also used the yamaha drain plug on mine, works great.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you ever had a problem loosing the yami plug over a tree or rock? i am thinking to install at the lowest point on the cover ,is exposed?

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our dealer out here puts a drain plug in the cvt and air box when u buy it. For my cvt plug they put a zip tie through it and zipped it to the underside of the floor board just in case something snags it or you drop it in the swamp when you pull it out. I am running skids on mine and drilled a hole right below the plug so I am still able to pull it out

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A real simple fix for a drain plug, get a valve stem from a tire shop, the smaller the better, drill a hole near the rear of the cover, in an area easy to access, obviously at the bottom of the cover, by the factory drain plug is good. Make sure the hole is the same size as the hole in the tire that the valve stem fits. Take the guts out of the valve stem, use a good quality valve stem cap, wala, you have a simple, cheap drain plug.

Last edited:

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valve stem off of a steel truck rim is what I use. Very easy to install, remove clutch cover, drill a hole in the low spot install valve. I used a stainless stem that uses two rubber seals to make the seal, it also comes with a stem cap that has a rubber o-ring to seal. Works great, never leaks.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
90 deg valve stem works awesome. Like The Captain said, the rear lower bolt is the factory drain and is a 10mm bolt head.

Look closely at the rubber coupler for the factory snorkel. If the clamps are overtighten they will leak. I suggest that you silcone the joints of the front and rear rubber couplers.

Top Bottom