can you test a stator

NORDIC

Reaction score
yep factory plugs, gapped properly, and new factory spark plug wires and caps

WopOnTour

Reaction score
ya just need to find the specs... the service manual i have doesnt give me the specs .... and the test they show me are with a JDM-74 tester and also they are running tests...
OK Went through this 30 years ago.
You are right, John Deere didnt publish basic resistance tests for their igntiion system, as they had a special tool.
But the John Deere tool is basically just a DVOM that's been "dummied down" for the lowly sled tech. lol yea right

If you look in the back of your service manual where they list all the tools it will state the tool's limits and scaling.
Something like:
"on the low setting the JDM-74 measures AC voltage from 1-25 volts"
and
"on the high seting the JDM-74 measures AC volts from 25-500V"
or something like that.
In most all of the tests in the manual you are advised to connect the tool to a couple of circuits then: "set the switch to either low/high, adjust the dial to xx and pull the starter rope repeatedly"
If the red lamp comes ON then the minimum voltage (that you set the dial to) is exceeded = PASS
You then can then just use mathematical scaling to figure out what actual voltage they were looking for (or very close to it), and use a regular volt-ohm meter.

So if they said "set the switch to HIGH (25-500VAC) and turn the adjustment knob (0-100) to 50" Then they were looking for a voltage of ~250 volts AC when you pulled on the rope. Now my numbers are not correct, this is just how I recall we back-doored it to diagnose a Liquifire ignition back in the day when we didnt have the tool. The tool was also a basic continuity tester, so when it asks to use the other special tool leads and to press the TEST button it was just basically looking for either A- continuity (you should know that by checking between two winding wires) or B- NOT shorted to ground/infinate resistance (you would know that when they ask you to connect to one of the wires and the other to the engine ground)

Sorry, I hope you can understand what I'm sayin as I'm high on Sudafed right now so it might come out a bit cryptic LOL
Let me know if helps
WopOnTour

PS> I never owned a John Deere but I will say they were very advanced for their time.
They just got a bit of a bad rap from most urban consumers as they were a farm implementry company
Advanced test tools like this JDM-74 is just one example.
But how about Comet 102C primaries and reverse cam secondaries in 1980!

Last edited:
Top Bottom