9R turbo build

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The bottom end is literally instant.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did you happen to weigh the kit vs the parts you removed?
The exhaust is 16lbs, turbo is is 25lbs. THe removal of the stock intake and then adding the charge tubes and charge box is almost a wash. Its 9lb gain. The stock 9R 165 2.75 is 429lbs, So 438lbs with the turbo kit. The Boost in the same track length is 448lbs.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very nice, I fallowed this a bit, very cool.
Got a couple questions.
So I have a 9R here, love the throttle response of this sled, better than any 850 23 models I have ridden to date.
But I find the overall power to be short being accustomed to running 200-260+ more then 20yrs.
So #1 question, how are you finding the throttle response compared to original.
1-being poor and 10 being no change and as good.
#2 question, being more of a guess what HP you're expecting.
I realize the ch!t snow doesn't show anything, your video posted basically shows it runs and sound good but
it won't be till its in deep heavy pow its true colors will or will not show.
Food for thought for myself, should or or shouldn't I spend that extra.
Thanks for a response.
All good Questions:

1.) Throttle response is 9.8. literally as good as stock.
2.) This is at 5lbs. There is no posted HP numbers, but on paper, the 9R makes around a 170hp, 7hp per psi is a widely used amount, so, i would say this is 200-205HP for sure and feels that strong. Considerably stronger then a boost with a 10hp tune.

The part that i was most impressed with this was the first ride on a sled that has only ever been started. Its still in break in mode and is over fuelling the Silber mapping. It didnt pop, bog, hiccup, stall.... nothing. It ran perfect, other then getting a bit hot going across the lake, it was so good and will only get better once its out of break in.

I think this will be a great option for guys that bought a 9R and want more power. I know with how cheap they are from some dealers, this will be the best bang for your buck out there. There are dealers selling 9R's for 18K, put on a Silber turbo, $4850, and you have a rocket for roughly $22,850. This is faster then a boost and a gen 5 Turbo and WAY better bottom end.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So $4850 is everything you need for the turbo upgrade. They are readily available or a wait time for next season being so late in the season now?

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So $4850 is everything you need for the turbo upgrade. They are readily available or a wait time for next season being so late in the season now?
The turbo kit comes with the flash licence, cables, clutching, (im running a different set up tho) and everything needed to run as it should. I would recommend the turbo blanket for the turbo and the wastegate as its close to the coolant bottle and will most likely melt.

Turbo Kits will be available next week. And i miss spoke on the price, The 9R kit is a bit more. The price posted was what it would cost to ordera kit for an axys 850 or matryx 850. The 9R kit is $400 more. It will be $5250 plus gst.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very nice, I fallowed this a bit, very cool.
Got a couple questions.
So I have a 9R here, love the throttle response of this sled, better than any 850 23 models I have ridden to date.
But I find the overall power to be short being accustomed to running 200-260+ more then 20yrs.
So #1 question, how are you finding the throttle response compared to original.
1-being poor and 10 being no change and as good.
#2 question, being more of a guess what HP you're expecting.
I realize the ch!t snow doesn't show anything, your video posted basically shows it runs and sound good but
it won't be till its in deep heavy pow its true colors will or will not show.
Food for thought for myself, should or or shouldn't I spend that extra.
Thanks for a response.
Well well well… you finally brought a Polaris.. you’re gunna love it! You better get a turbo on it cause you know my 14’ Pro Boondocker will kick your ass without it!!!!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well well well… you finally brought a Polaris.. you’re gunna love it! You better get a turbo on it cause you know my 14’ Pro Boondocker will kick your ass without it!!!!
My 13 Mtntk pro is one of the strongest sleds in our group running Bennys clutching and gearing. The 9r turbo will kill our old iron. The bottom end is crazy responsive. Proof will be in the deep snow. But throttle response down low was very impressive.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, other than handling improvements over the last 10 years, as ABmax stated in a post a while back,” its hard to beat a well running PRO on 7 lbs of boost using straight AV.!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys, the 9R is not a replacement for the Winder, its a complementary sled for these new conditions that we are experiencing and likely the future norm.
The two are not comparable, both dominate their own intended use.
I promised my self after the Nytro and nearly 2 decades of mixing I would never build another sled needing mixed fuels, "been there done that on too many sleds" and here I 'am again looking. Not sure if I will, that is my biggest issue right now, do I go down that rabbit hole again.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys, the 9R is not a replacement for the Winder, its a complementary sled for these new conditions that we are experiencing and likely the future norm.
The two are not comparable, both dominate their own intended use.
I promised my self after the Nytro and nearly 2 decades of mixing I would never build another sled needing mixed fuels, "been there done that on too many sleds" and here I 'am again looking. Not sure if I will, that is my biggest issue right now, do I go down that rabbit hole again.
Same boat. Snowchecked a catalyst thinking just a ride a stocker, today I’m searching for 9r’s. lol old habits are hard to kick.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same boat. Snowchecked a catalyst thinking just a ride a stocker, today I’m searching for 9r’s. lol old habits are hard to kick.
Exactly true, I guess a stock turbo allows for non mixing LOL.
I had the 9R and the Winder out on the same rides for two days the weekend I got hurt and honestly, I love the 9r but so the Winder, very very different, one not better then the other. The poison of the day will be dictated by conditions. (what the wife wants to ride too LOL)
The handling and ease of the 9r makes it feel more like a kids toy, the snappy responsive throttle is beautiful but the power kinda fits its toyish feel, thus why I'm considering the turbo upgrade.
The Winder is not for everyone, it's a serious sled no toyish feel there, it crushes the 9r for power in that respect and has decent handling but no match for the 9r in that department.
In low snow conditions like we're experiencing the Winder SUCK's, the 9r is "Freekin Fun"... till you pull your hamstring LOL.
What to do, what to do?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly true, I guess a stock turbo allows for non mixing LOL.
I had the 9R and the Winder out on the same rides for two days the weekend I got hurt and honestly, I love the 9r but so the Winder, very very different, one not better then the other. The poison of the day will be dictated by conditions. (what the wife wants to ride too LOL)
The handling and ease of the 9r makes it feel more like a kids toy, the snappy responsive throttle is beautiful but the power kinda fits its toyish feel, thus why I'm considering the turbo upgrade.
The Winder is not for everyone, it's a serious sled no toyish feel there, it crushes the 9r for power in that respect and has decent handling but no match for the 9r in that department.
In low snow conditions like we're experiencing the Winder SUCK's, the 9r is "Freekin Fun"... till you pull your hamstring LOL.
What to do, what to do?
Not derail Ben's thread anymore but is anyone building a good pipe and flash for the 9r yet? I bet someone like Linderman could wake it up a bit more for you.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not derail Ben's thread anymore but is anyone building a good pipe and flash for the 9r yet? I bet someone like Linderman could wake it up a bit more for you.
Have already tested a tune and clutching on the 9R. Pretty decent improvement for the mid range and top end.

Top Bottom