Skidoo 850 Stator Ingestion

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone else had their 850 stator suck something in? on the 850 engine the bottom of the stator housing is open, so if you drop even a needle in the engine bay it can potentially suck in to the stator and destroy it. I have a machine that BRP is saying no warranty as it sucked in a rivet. I think that is total bs and not an owners fault but rather a design flaw?

here's an idea if your listening BRP, put the stator vent on the top with a screen? poor design, take ownership if your design faults IMO

Thoughts? Anyone had issues with this? was it covered?

either way, don't drop anything in your engine bay

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really ???? tough call for the dealer but shitty set up if that's the case. Maybe screen it some how so it don't happen again.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone else had their 850 stator suck something in? on the 850 engine the bottom of the stator housing is open, so if you drop even a needle in the engine bay it can potentially suck in to the stator and destroy it. I have a machine that BRP is saying no warranty as it sucked in a rivet. I think that is total bs and not an owners fault but rather a design flaw?

here's an idea if your listening BRP, put the stator vent on the top with a screen? poor design, take ownership if your design faults IMO

Thoughts? Anyone had issues with this? was it covered?

either way, don't drop anything in your engine bay
Yes, I recall there being a post on this site in fact.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really ???? tough call for the dealer but shitty set up if that's the case. Maybe screen it some how so it don't happen again.

not blaming dealer at all they go over and above to help me out but end of the day they have to do what BRP says. But to me thats just a chicken sh*t cop out from the manufacturer. like run a hose up into the airbox or something theres 9999999999 ways to avoid this happening to people.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I'm freaked out every time I drill out a rivet to remove or replace something. Even dropping a bolt. Have to find and fish it out! Maybe we can put a frog skin over the opening. New sales idea?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even the supplied skid plate hardware BARELY grabs the backing washers only a matter of time before someone sucks one of those in, on the skid plate instructions no where does it say "warning catastrophic engine failure may result"

they cant seriously expect that within the 4 year warranty period people aren't going to have a rivet head or backing washer floating around in there? give me a break

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I'm freaked out every time I drill out a rivet to remove or replace something. Even dropping a bolt. Have to find and fish it out! Maybe we can put a frog skin over the opening. New sales idea?

i think we all go out of our way to make sure we have everything out of the engine bay but were human, cant catch it all. So buyer beware. make sure your engine bay is clean as a whistle

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
and if that said foreign piece of material (besides a rivet and maybe an electrical clip, stripped wire housing, a small screw, washer, whatever) happened to be from a dealer service job? They have left themselves and the dealer open to a customer satisfaction mess.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and if that said foreign piece of material (besides a rivet and maybe an electrical clip, stripped wire housing, a small screw, washer, whatever) happened to be from a dealer service job? They have left themselves and the dealer open to a customer satisfaction mess.

precisely my thoughts aswell. There is wayyyy too much grey area here for them to not cover this type of thing.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen this a few times on polaris. guys drilling out rivets for skid plates or to repair damaged panels. those flywheel magnets love rivets. bye bye stator. no warranty.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the newer sleds had a screen on the inlet at the bottom of the stator.

Shot mounting clips have ended up In there.

I have spent 3 hours looking for a hood bolt on my turbo when it fell into the abyss. Lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the newer sleds had a screen on the inlet at the bottom of the stator.

Shot mounting clips have ended up In there.

I have spent 3 hours looking for a hood bolt on my turbo when it fell into the abyss. Lol

lol i bet, im thinking if a guy had to drill out his skid plate not a chance in hell your going to be able to account for all of those rivets without taking the engine out,

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen this a few times on polaris. guys drilling out rivets for skid plates or to repair damaged panels. those flywheel magnets love rivets. bye bye stator. no warranty.

polaris 850 is open on the bottom too?

on the XM800 engine it was all sealed and never an issue.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
polaris 850 is open on the bottom too?

on the XM800 engine it was all sealed and never an issue.
not 100% sure on the 850's but the 800's had a window on top of the recoil housing. it had a hard plastic film covering it from factory which would melt off in the first ride. stupid. when i was at the dealer i always made sure all was accounted for when installing skid plates or doing repairs. found out the hard way once.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whose to say the rivet didn't fail through no fault of your own? Over the years I have had numerous bolts break or come lose under the hood that had not been touched since the factory.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know any of the engineering group working at CKMP Sean? Plead your case. Sometimes they can pull some favor. Its one of those who you know deals but might save you some cash?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rivets. Pipe springs. Things happen. Why you rolling your sled upside down lol. For what they charge for a new machine they need to swipe the hand and take care of this. I’ve never owned a sled with warranty. Wish I could buy new with out it at a discount.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
riding buddy had the etec 800 recoil housing bolt heads break and end up in the stator... same same but different

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They di
not blaming dealer at all they go over and above to help me out but end of the day they have to do what BRP says. But to me thats just a chicken sh*t cop out from the manufacturer. like run a hose up into the airbox or something theres 9999999999 ways to avoid this happening to people.
They didn’t need to tell them about the rivet….

All BRP should need to know is it failed the test procedure outlined in their service manual

Top Bottom