Skidoo 850 Stator Ingestion

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there a problem with them? If you put a can on there certainly is. But in stock form i haven't had an issue ever. Let the cogs engage first before pulling and they will go for 5000k
The only one we have had fail was brand new out of the box first ride when it warmed up. No problem we have shot! That was NFG as well lol. But warranty took care of. This open stator stuff seems like a cheesy set up. Never new that was how they are until you posted this. Following to see what the solution is you come up with.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the fix to prevent this?

Screen?

Mount a strong magnet strategically to intercept debris?
Rivets are aluminum mostly, unless its a structural, but not lots of them. Aluminum is not magnetic so you could still suck something in there even if you put a magnet on. Is it open for confirming the timing or is it just an open hole for drainage? If its just a drain hole for water, then it could be much smaller or screened over.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Down side to that magnet idea is that rivet or rivet washer is probably aluminum.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rivets are aluminum mostly, unless its a structural, but not lots of them. Aluminum is not magnetic so you could still suck something in there even if you put a magnet on. Is it open for confirming the timing or is it just an open hole for drainage? If its just a drain hole for water, then it could be much smaller or screened over.
Ya beet me

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True but it is the magnets in the stater that would suck anything in.
Don't think there would be suction on the vent? And if this is the cause mine would be fried from spruce tree needles every trip.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all BRP supplied accessories are Steel Rivet and Steel backers, only aluminum rivets would be if someone used their own. Everything supplied by BRP is steel. Im sure alot of guys use their own rivets because the ones suplied aren't long enough so your guaranteed to get a backer plate through the stator

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your not serious? Clutches I get, hey something goes in there its obvious the owner messed up somehow. But a stator should not be accessible to foreign objects plain and simple. No matter how anal you are about working on stuff something can still get in there and that's a design flaw. A screen, relocation of the vent, a vent hose, so many ways around it to avoid this issue. How about even a warning sticker on the recoil saying the stator is open? Because unless you've had one of these engines out you would have NO idea. The manufacturer is putting the dealer and customer in an awkward spot with this stator setup and that's not fair to either of them. 20k for a machine with 4 year warranty and a 10mm washer can do 2800$ in damage? Not ok
I'm dead serious, junk will go thru anything regardless.....like clutches! If you need a label to warn you to do a proper job consider another hobby.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep, ill have to look and see if its even accessible but something needs to be done and BRP is obviously going to make us take care of it ourselves. Last thing i want to be is 100 miles in the backcountry and suck something in.
It's not accessible unless you wrench first to make accessible. Even then would be hard to do unless remove engine. Maybe I should take pics of assemble since I could set engine on bench for people to see

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not accessible unless you wrench first to make accessible. Even then would be hard to do unless remove engine. Maybe I should take pics of assemble since I could set engine on bench for people to see
Please do

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please do
With it at the back side of engine and located at very bottom hard to do anything with engine in, and you cannot remove starter and get the cover out thru the opening, I tried

Attachments

• DSCN1626.JPG
    DSCN1626.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN1627.JPG
    DSCN1627.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN1628.JPG
    DSCN1628.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN1629.JPG
    DSCN1629.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 173

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The older 850’s had no screen but the new sleds have one according to my dealer when I lost a shot start clip and couldn’t find it, this was on my 2021.

I would ask to confirm what I was told was actually correct.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The older 850’s had no screen but the new sleds have one according to my dealer when I lost a shot start clip and couldn’t find it, this was on my 2021.

What year is Maxwell sled??

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year is Maxwell sled??

He doesn’t have one at the moment, he said in a previous post the sled was his buddies sled, so I don’t know what year it is. I do know there are open holes on the top of the stator, I seen them wham I was looking for the clip.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Parts fiche should show it.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parts fiche should show it.

Unfortunately It doesn’t show the inlet. I have never seen it just going off of info from someone who has had these engines out, of different years.
Maybe I was lied to, but I was warned about the vents in the front.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Down side to that magnet idea is that rivet or rivet washer is probably aluminum.

What about the aluminum washers and/or rivets? Magnet won't pick those up.

Not really true. Keep in mind the magnets on the flywheel are quite strong, and this is a moving (rapidly moving) magnetic field when the engine is running. Non-magnetic metals (including aluminum) interact with moving magnetic fields, called the Lenz effect. They don't get attracted as such but do get pushed around and moved. It's quite possible that the moving magnetic field of the magnets in the flywheel can actually push an aluminum rivet into the housing throwing it around and end up in parts they shouldn't. Of course a steel rivet would make this happen easier but I think it would be more than possible given that housing design to happen with an aluminum rivet.

bcjeepr

Reaction score
is there a problem with them? If you put a can on there certainly is. But in stock form i haven't had an issue ever. Let the cogs engage first before pulling and they will go for 5000k
You have never heard of problems with the plastic pieces inside the recoil ? never owned a can and always engage the pawl but still have gone thru many over the years .

H-D

Reaction score
2022 850 Turbski

Attachments

• IMG_0947[1].JPG
    IMG_0947[1].JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 172
Top Bottom