Buying a boat from BC, bring back to alberta

phatboy07

Reaction score
I read through all of the applicable documents and can not find any info that relates exactly to private sale when trying to be exempt from the pst payment. If I were to purchase a boat from let's say adelear (new or used) if the dealer delivers the boat to me in alberta and fills out the proper form, I can be exempt to pay. The form is simple but looks to be for delear/businesses that sell boats and are set up to already collect the pst. I can not find info in whether a private sale where the seller can use the same forms and meet me on the alberta side so I can be exempt. I will have to call tomorrow to clarify with the bc gov. I am not to impressed with this as this payment is substantial if I have to pay and if so I might as well look harder here in alberta, which isn't fair to BC residents who want to sell there units. Stupid all around.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that suppose to deter a BC resident from selling his boat to someone out of province . I don't get the justification .

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have purchased two boats in BC and brought them home to Alberta. Each time the dealer did the paperwork so I was not charged the provincial tax. I do not believe you have to pay that.

phatboy07

Reaction score
So I have sent an email describing my situation and intentions to the proper gov account. If I was buying from a dealer it would be much more simple as the PST 108 document seems to reflect mostly dealer and or business type purchases and how to be exempt from the PST. But this being a private sale PST 108 does not CLEARLY state what documentation is needed or if it is needed at all. I will attempt to call someone for verification as well on this as well if I get time today. I did get a clerk on the phone the other day that was not 100% sure of the need to pay PST and was "pretty sure" that when I go to register it in Alberta that the registry alone would suffice to be exempt from PST. This was not good enough and I was late for an appointment so I couldn't get the clerk to check to make 100%. I will attempt to get email confirmation form the next clerk to state any info needed for exemption.

indyguy

Reaction score
Phatboy - google Bulletin CTR 001. This explains the exemptions on how to claim back the HST/PST. Like I mentioned earlier - might just be easier for the private seller to document that he delivered the boat to the Alberta side of the border.

phatboy07

Reaction score
That particular bulletin is an old one I believe. I just got off the phone with another clerk and she told me that one of the forms to be documented was the out of province delivery exemption form (PST 462). She mentioned that people take "pictures" of somewhere outside the province to "prove" that the boat was delivered there by the seller and the transaction was done there. This is because most dealers would have a third party deliver the purchase to outside the BC border and there would be some form of documentation for this that is easily taken. I find it half assed at best that this is how they would like to do private sales by having a "picture" taken of the "drop off point" outside BC...GEEEEZ. What difference does it make if I pick the boat up or the seller drops it off at the border. Just frustrating to say the least. Cash grab at its finest.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my boat in 2010 and last year got the $1200 you owe us love letter from the BC govt. Went to the Govt website and found the out of prov loop hole, called the guy and told him that I live in Alberta. Asked me a bunch of questions about where the boat was, how I got it home and where it was stored.All he wanted was me to scan the letter they sent me stating that the boat was no longer in BC and the file was closed. The exemption does apply to Alberta residents.

indyguy

Reaction score
Can you remember which government website? Federal or Provincial side? Did you pick up the boat yourself in BC or was it delivered to Alberta?

M@$E

Reaction score
Bought my boat in 2010 and last year got the $1200 you owe us love letter from the BC govt. Went to the Govt website and found the out of prov loop hole, called the guy and told him that I live in Alberta. Asked me a bunch of questions about where the boat was, how I got it home and where it was stored.All he wanted was me to scan the letter they sent me stating that the boat was no longer in BC and the file was closed. The exemption does apply to Alberta residents.

I just received the same letter last week indicating I owe tax from the boat ive owned since 2007 and decided to register in 2014, but there was no dollar value of tax owing on the form. Was wondering if you had heard anything further on this from the gov?, and also which document did you need to scan indicating the boat is no longer in the BC? or was it just a manual written one? Thanks

Top Bottom