Electrical question

sledder325

Reaction score
I have raw land, going to get a 24x24 shop built want to get the power ran from the main power line to a mast on the back of shop which will power the shop it is less then 100ft (so I think I don't need a pole that what it says on BC Hydro), then want to go from the shop electrical panel underground to modular home which I am going to get after shop is built but I need 200amp service to modular home as it will have an electric furnace. What size of panel do I have to have at the shop the shop will be just basic plug ins for power tools will have lights etc no welders.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 things.

BC Hydro is going to want a load calculation done before they'll even look at your application for service. That'll tell you what your panel needs to be.

I wouldn't short change yourself on power in the shop, it's really handy to have a welder outlet down the road, or electric pressure washer. And with everything going electric, wouldn't be a terrible idea to have some extra capacity available.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am no electrical expert but run your main power into a splitter box, then from your splitter into your panel in the garage. Once you get your modular just use a leg off the splitter to your modular. Makes life easier down the line.

Just do a quick circuit count and buy a panel accordingly, chances are your panel will be larger than you need but having some blanks is good, never know what you will want to add

Hope this helps
Cheers

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
See if you can put a farm service in with your meter base and a 200a disconnect at the pole Then just put a small panel at the service and go underground from there to your shop any to the modular.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
👆👆. Like Shrek1 said with the splitter.

But you require your main fusing between the meter and the splitter. Easiest option is a with a meter/disconnect combo but then your main breaker would be outside your shop. Or use a fused disconnect if you want your main located inside.

Trench the main feed underground so you don’t have wires across your yard to the shop

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I’m not an electrician and know very little about electricity. But I do know when I built my house in Elkford, BCHydro was not like Alberta. They were goofy. Couldn’t get a temporary pole/meter with a little weather protected unit on it and had to have the house to lock up before they would install the meter.
Find a BC electrician or talk right with BCHydro.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_1879.png
    IMG_1879.png
    396 KB · Views: 46

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Invest in solar and eff the govt

It is certainly something to consider when setting up a new electrical system. I’ve been putting solar “ready” panels and setups in our properties when I have the opportunity. When the costs come down on the systems I’ll be ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It is certainly something to consider when setting up a new electrical system. I’ve been putting solar “ready” panels and setups in our properties when I have the opportunity. When the costs come down on the systems I’ll be ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've heard that the panels have come down considerably but the expensive part now is the storage.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the panels have come down considerably but the expensive part now is the storage.

Panels have pretty much always been the cheap part, they were only 1/3 of my system cost 5 years ago. But have halved in price since that time.

Unless your grid connection costs are astronomical, it's almost never worth it to go off grid. Grid tied solar works fine, and the power company pays you a credit for electricity sold back to the grid.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I am developing a property in Valemount, BC and as an Albertan who has several friends who own medium sized electrical companies in Edmonton and area I had to throw all my recommendations out the window. Seems to be several differences when dealing with BC Hydro vs fortress / Epcor. Id take the advise from peeps in BC like @gdhillon. No differences when dealing with architects, Im dealing with a BC company in Kamloops as most in Alberta said your best get a BC company as laws and codes and requirements are different.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t know Berta standards but I can tell you I’ve rarely had a service an out of province contractor built go smooth. Not because they are in capable at all just because our standards are quite different.

Best advice is engage hydro early (as you are, good on ya)

It prob would be helpful if I answered your questions on this thread for others as well, that being said I’m always willing to chat too.

Unfortunately, I can’t design your service because our district coverage stops just east of McRide. Kamloops district takes care of Vale etc. But I can look at things for ya and assist

Same goes to OP.

Let er rip with the questions haha, a pole number is helpful for me to locate in our GIS as well

Top Bottom