Zeno

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this company? Someone showed up to my door and gave me the sales talk. I listen to him thought it didn't sound like to bad of a deal. So the jist of it is, Zeno puts solar panels on your roof equal to the amount of electricity averaged over the last year. So if you were using 3000w per day they would put up a 3000w panel system. Any power you make is sold to the electric company, which offsets the electric used from them. So if I make 2000watts and I require 3000watts per day I would only pay for the difference of a 1000watts. no selling back at lower rates, or any line fees. just a trade in watts. No cost for the solar panels or set up, I have to sign a 10 year contract with them. They are responsible for the panels for 5 years and I`m on the hook after that. This sounds like it is too good to be true. There is no batteries or storage of electricity in you home, all goes to the electric company. If the roof needs repairs in any way, shingles or other damage I'm responsible for the removal and installation again of the panels. I asked if more than what's required for power could be installed( like putting up a 5000watt system) but the answer was no. Opinions and Thoughts please.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this company, but there is almost always a catch. Usually it's in inflated electricity rates that you're locked into, or a residual payment after the end of the 10 year term to pay the remainder owing on the panels. Some companies in the states were locking customers in on 25 year contracts, which becomes an issue if you try to sell the house as the panel owner now has a lien on your home.

If you want to install solar panels my suggestion is to purchase them yourself, and then you reap the benefits of a reduced power bill. The Greener Homes grant pays $1 per installed watt for a rebate upon install, and there's also interest free loans you can take advantage of.

I've had panels for a few years now. My cost after rebate was $6,500, and I'm saving about $625/year on my power bills because of them. Simple payback is still 10 years on these. If you're good with investments there's better money to be made there.

You're way better off trying to reduce usage in the first place, the general rule of thumb is every dollar spent to use less electricity in energy efficiency upgrades will save you $5 by requiring a smaller solar system. My system is small, I used on average 216kwh per month before I installed panels (the average Alberta house uses 600kwh). Which saved me tons on the install cost. My parents just did a 4.5kw ground mount install last year, and after rebate they were still $12.5k into it.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this company? Someone showed up to my door and gave me the sales talk. I listen to him thought it didn't sound like to bad of a deal. So the jist of it is, Zeno puts solar panels on your roof equal to the amount of electricity averaged over the last year. So if you were using 3000w per day they would put up a 3000w panel system. Any power you make is sold to the electric company, which offsets the electric used from them. So if I make 2000watts and I require 3000watts per day I would only pay for the difference of a 1000watts. no selling back at lower rates, or any line fees. just a trade in watts. No cost for the solar panels or set up, I have to sign a 10 year contract with them. They are responsible for the panels for 5 years and I`m on the hook after that. This sounds like it is too good to be true. There is no batteries or storage of electricity in you home, all goes to the electric company. If the roof needs repairs in any way, shingles or other damage I'm responsible for the removal and installation again of the panels. I asked if more than what's required for power could be installed( like putting up a 5000watt system) but the answer was no. Opinions and Thoughts please.

If you’re interested I’d just build your own system. This is just renting out your roof space. I don’t think this will increase the value of your property or help when you go to sell. The size of the system you are describing is also very small and inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One should also check with your home owner insurance too see if you're roof is still covered...

It will cost you up front,,, any extra power the system puts back into the grid would most likely be sold back too the energy grid at a very low rate,,, and you'll have too pay tax' (es) on any and all profits generated...

Its not what they are sharing with you,,, its what their not saying...

If a person is interested in a system go lone wolf,,, if the power company is intrested in you feeding the system it time too get a contract in your favor...

The big push is on,,, their going door too door all across Canada selling the dream on how rich you'll be,,, and you'll get a 1.5 too 2.2% kick back if you sign up 3 other customers...

Buyer beware since lots of start-up companies are on the go too meet the 2030 dead line of zero emissions

7 years to D day...

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will cost you up front,,, any extra power the system puts back into the grid would most likely be sold back too the energy grid at a very low rate,,,
he said power is traded and not sold, I only pay for power I can't generate. And there was no cost for install. I was hoping someone on here has had dealing with this company. The more I think about it how is anyone making money if I'm not paying for the panels.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One should also check with your home owner insurance too see if you're roof is still covered...

It will cost you up front,,, any extra power the system puts back into the grid would most likely be sold back too the energy grid at a very low rate,,, and you'll have too pay tax' (es) on any and all profits generated...

Its not what they are sharing with you,,, its what their not saying...

If a person is interested in a system go lone wolf,,, if the power company is intrested in you feeding the system it time too get a contract in your favor...

The big push is on,,, their going door too door all across Canada selling the dream on how rich you'll be,,, and you'll get a 1.5 too 2.2% kick back if you sign up 3 other customers...

Buyer beware since lots of start-up companies are on the go too meet the 2030 dead line of zero emissions

7 years to D day...

You've got a bunch of wrong information in here.

My insurance company is aware of my roof mounted panels, I'm still covered, they also have included their replacement cost in the value of the home. My premiums didn't change.

You don't pay tax on the revenue generated, because after distribution and transmission fees you will likely still have a small bill. However GST is only calculated after the micro-gen credit is factored into the bill, so because the bill is smaller you pay less tax as GST.

The energy rate you get credited is the same as you pay when you buy the electricity, this is forced by law. However you still pay the fee for transmission and distribution when you buy (which is 12.68 cents per kwh if ATCO owns the transmission system). You don't get a credit in transmission/distribution when you sell. Obviously though electricity you generate and use in the home saves you from paying transmission/distribution because your don't have to buy that energy.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he said power is traded and not sold, I only pay for power I can't generate. And there was no cost for install. I was hoping someone on here has had dealing with this company. The more I think about it how is anyone making money if I'm not paying for the panels.
I would ask them if they put a caveat on your house and own the roof intrade for no cost of install.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody heard of this "Encor by Epcor" build your plan options they currently have circulating. Basically a Co within the parent org from what i am reading. Anybody have the legalese opinion on the contract they want you to enter, some insight would be of help if you have opted in for this or not. Tia:)

https://www.epcor.com/products-services/encor/Pages/Build-Your-Plan.aspx

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be a red flag for me. Nobody does this to not make money.

Top Bottom