Buying a boat from BC, bring back to alberta

phatboy07

Reaction score
So I am going to be buying a used boat from BC. Is there any thing along the lines of registration, tax, inspection, etc ( anything at all I need to be aware of really) that I need to know? It's a river jet boat by the way.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
There was post earlier this year were a fellow stated that when he purchased his boat in bc and brought back to Alberta that he was being charged a tax? Never really followed the thread so not 100% sure on that statement.
Might be worth checking into.
When I bought my boat in Kelowna I never paid any tax. Brought the boat to Alberta.
That was also 15 years ago.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was post earlier this year were a fellow stated that when he purchased his boat in bc and brought back to Alberta that he was being charged a tax? Never really followed the thread so not 100% sure on that statement.
Might be worth checking into.
When I bought my boat in Kelowna I never paid any tax. Brought the boat to Alberta.
That was also 15 years ago.

Time for a new boat lol

Yes that guy got a invoice in the mail from icbc..... Never heard the last bit but cause he's from a.b and exempt from the 12 % if it was a private sale , but not all if it was a dealer sale

sent while I should be drinking tea's

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I hear yah Tex.
I replaced the gimble bearing last year and still runs like a top.
Sea Ray makes a great boat.
Not very shiney anymore, in fact parked it in the yard last fall and some leaves fell on it before I got it tarped.
i know have a nice leaf pattern all over the front of boat. LOL!
Gel coat is pretty well non existant but still have great days fishing and crusing with it.
Doesn't owe me anything and spendin a wack of money on a new one is hard to get past the gate keeper(A.K.A The Wife)
Ha Ha!

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one in bc last summer. Don't need to pay any taxes. No inspections. Can't fn wait to get boat in water... But it doesn't stop snowing.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol the gate keeper rick, does she know u call her that...

Mabe say nice things and a new boat is ur way lol

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta residents don't pay BC sales tax. You can actually get it back on all BC purchases if you take the time to do the paperwork. On a private sale you don't have that problem.

Boats are federal registry, not provincial. The feds will probably send a notice to the BC government when they see a previous BC address on the registration when/if you re-register it, and the BC government will probably send you a notice for taxes.....but just ignore them, or tell them to pound sand.

If the boat stays in BC though......different story.

phatboy07

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys! I live in and am an Albertan resident so looks good on the tax thing...I do have another question. What would be the best way to have the boat/trailer insured for the trip home? If I buy the boat which is roughly 950 km away, I plan to drive there, view, purchase (if all looks good) and then drive home the next day or so. I do not want to spend to much time dealing with insurance, plates, etc., in another town when I just want to safely and legally bring the boat and trailer straight home (insured for the few days only). Is there any way to use my cargo trailer plate, home insurance, truck insurance even just to cover the trip home so I can really research the best options for me to insure and register the boat when I get home?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to your insurance company. Cn usually get single trip insurance to transport things.

indyguy

Reaction score
Alberta residents don't pay BC sales tax. You can actually get it back on all BC purchases if you take the time to do the paperwork. On a private sale you don't have that problem.

Boats are federal registry, not provincial. The feds will probably send a notice to the BC government when they see a previous BC address on the registration when/if you re-register it, and the BC government will probably send you a notice for taxes.....but just ignore them, or tell them to pound sand.

If the boat stays in BC though......different story.

I was the guy inquiring about this before. I bought a jet boat in BC in June 2012 and brought it back to Alberta. January of this year the BC Ministry of Finance sent me a "Tax Notice" that I owe the HST on the boat even though it was a private sale. I threw out the first letter. Month later they sent me another one telling me that they did their own assessment and taxed me over $4500. I phoned them up and they did their homework on where, who I bought the boat from and even had found the original "for sale" add. They even phoned the guy and asked if I had towed the boat back to Alberta myself or if he delivered it. I talked to 2 accountants and 1 lawyer and they all told me that the BC Government brought in this HST tax on boats in 2010. They have up to 4 years to collect this tax also. I did my own research also and thought I found a loop hole - but no luck. They even threatened to take this tax off my income tax return?!?!? I have to pay the tax. Moyiesledhead - can you give us more info on what paperwork or who to contact about this "tax pain" issue. I tried everything that I could think of and kept running into walls. phatboy07 - Here area few suggestions to avoid paying the tax. Don't register the boat - thats how they found me. Easiest might be to convince the seller to write on the Bill of Sale that he actually delivered the boat for you to the Alberta border. Or have him actually deliver the boat to the Alberta border for you. Or factor in the 12% HST tax in the price in case the BC Ministry of Finance track you down. If you are of First Nations descent you don't have to pay the tax. If you have a First Nations "buddy" have him buy the boat and you buy it from him back in Alberta. Hopefully somebody like Moyiesledhead or other members can help or offer some other advice about this "Tax Pain"?!?! I know if I pay this tax - it is going to affect my future spending in BC and that's what I told the government guys. To me it is not morally right to charge this tax.

phatboy07

Reaction score
Well then...that puts a pickle in my boat purchase lol. So are you saying that if the boat is registered to the individual in BC, but I make the actual purchase in Alberta (lets say he meets me half way which would be in Alberta) that I would not have to pay this tax? BC (bring Cash)...stoooopid.

Last edited:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This all makes no sense at all. Why would Alberta residence have to pay the PST on a boat but not anything else? For example I am just going through the process to buy an RV and the dealer tells me I will not be paying PST which I fully expect.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But if the boat was never registered in b.c proper from the last owner to bypass the tax, then the new owner gets to pay

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was the guy inquiring about this before. I bought a jet boat in BC in June 2012 and brought it back to Alberta. January of this year the BC Ministry of Finance sent me a "Tax Notice" that I owe the HST on the boat even though it was a private sale. I threw out the first letter. Month later they sent me another one telling me that they did their own assessment and taxed me over $4500. I phoned them up and they did their homework on where, who I bought the boat from and even had found the original "for sale" add. They even phoned the guy and asked if I had towed the boat back to Alberta myself or if he delivered it. I talked to 2 accountants and 1 lawyer and they all told me that the BC Government brought in this HST tax on boats in 2010. They have up to 4 years to collect this tax also. I did my own research also and thought I found a loop hole - but no luck. They even threatened to take this tax off my income tax return?!?!? I have to pay the tax. Moyiesledhead - can you give us more info on what paperwork or who to contact about this "tax pain" issue. I tried everything that I could think of and kept running into walls. phatboy07 - Here area few suggestions to avoid paying the tax. Don't register the boat - thats how they found me. Easiest might be to convince the seller to write on the Bill of Sale that he actually delivered the boat for you to the Alberta border. Or have him actually deliver the boat to the Alberta border for you. Or factor in the 12% HST tax in the price in case the BC Ministry of Finance track you down. If you are of First Nations descent you don't have to pay the tax. If you have a First Nations "buddy" have him buy the boat and you buy it from him back in Alberta. Hopefully somebody like Moyiesledhead or other members can help or offer some other advice about this "Tax Pain"?!?! I know if I pay this tax - it is going to affect my future spending in BC and that's what I told the government guys. To me it is not morally right to charge this tax.

Well that's a new one on me. Maybe it was an HST thing. HST is now gone in BC. We made the thieves repeal it. And it beats me how the BC Government thinks they can take the tax off an Alberta income tax return. Maybe contact Revenue Canada and see if that's even possible for them to do to a federal tax return.

The PST rebate thingfor Ab residents has been in place for years, though I'm not sure how it works or where you get the paperwork. I'll see what I can find out.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! The thieving turds sure have that tied up tight now!

Looks like if you get the previous owner to deliver it to the Alberta border and document it properly you should be good to go. See "exemptions" on page 4.

Indyguy...I think you might be out of luck, although I still fail to see how the BC Government thinks they can collect it from you in Alberta.

I also noticed while looking for this that we now have to pay PST on "gifted" vehicles in BC even though no money has changed hands. Friggin thieves! I guess the sled I'm giving my daughter stays registered in my name! :rant:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vehicles Purchased for Use Outside BC
If you
purchase a vehicle in BC
for use outside BC
you
are exempt from PST
provided that all
the following criteria ar
e met
:

the vehicle is a type that is eligible for registration under the
vehicle registration legislation
as defined in the
Provincial Sales Tax Act

the vehicle
is purchased for use primarily outside BC,

the vehicle will not be used in BC for a business
purpose

the vehicle will not be registered in BC, and

if you are purchasing the vehicle as an individual, you are
a non
-
resident

indyguy

Reaction score
Vehicles Purchased for Use Outside BC
If you
purchase a vehicle in BC
for use outside BC
you
are exempt from PST
provided that all
the following criteria ar
e met
:

the vehicle is a type that is eligible for registration under the
vehicle registration legislation
as defined in the
Provincial Sales Tax Act

the vehicle
is purchased for use primarily outside BC,

the vehicle will not be used in BC for a business
purpose

the vehicle will not be registered in BC, and

if you are purchasing the vehicle as an individual, you are
a non
-
resident
Believe me - I tried this too. Boat is not a vehicle. This link PST 108 explains all about the boat PST crap. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbr.gov.bc.ca%2Fdocuments_library%2Fbulletins%2Fpst_108.pdf&ei=7nJVU9HtAYqHyATr24HIDg&usg=AFQjCNFqXc9XpU2M2IjPXPP2MLosNgyvdw

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not heard anything about paying bc tax. I have registered with transport canada and registered trailer. Maybe I still will.... Hope to hell not!

Top Bottom