Buying fish direct

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any commercial fishermen on here? Or anyone who knows how things work? On the island for a while and hoping to bring home a cooler full of fish.

Can I buy direct? Any idea how much difference in price there is doing it that way?

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get your license for a day or 2 and go out on a charter. My buddies always come home with coolers full

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been kind of skunked the last couple of times so that's why I'm looking at this option. Nothing worse than spending a couple grand and coming home with 20lbs of fish

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been kind of skunked the last couple of times so that's why I'm looking at this option. Nothing worse than spending a couple grand and coming home with 20lbs of fish
Thats why its called fishing not catching. Not much for commercial operations anymore and the seasons are only a couple days long. With a charter your also buying the experience. If that doesnt interest you, you can always just order it and have it shipped directly to your house

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy usually sends everyone home full.

Hurd A Boat charters in Campbell River

IMG_7045.jpg

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy from this guy

Once a week he sends fish to Edmonton via airplane. I pick up from the airport direct

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quite often the natives will sell some fish near port alberni
but like mclean I have a buddy that spends his summers at april point chartering
we always go down for a 4 day trip every summer and get our limits with him

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are couple thing you may think about before transporting fish that did not come from the market(grocer).
It is illegal to buy fish from the natives and illegal for natives to sell you fish.
If you transport non market fish, you better have a proper fishing license and certain species do have a "on possession quota" for a given time fished. You better be able to prove it.
I would do my diligent and look into the rules and regulation before just embarking into transport of fish in a cooler.
The fines are huge ranging from impound of property and jail and CO's don't buy "I didn't know" excuse.
Just putting that out there.
BTW all fish transported require to be intact, head and tail attached for identifying and measuring purposes.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are couple thing you may think about before transporting fish that did not come from the market(grocer).
It is illegal to buy fish from the natives and illegal for natives to sell you fish.
If you transport non market fish, you better have a proper fishing license and certain species do have a "on possession quota" for a given time fished. You better be able to prove it.
I would do my diligent and look into the rules and regulation before just embarking into transport of fish in a cooler.
The fines are huge ranging from impound of property and jail and CO's don't buy "I didn't know" excuse.
Just putting that out there.
BTW all fish transported require to be intact, head and tail attached for identifying and measuring purposes.
I was asking about buying from a legit commercial fishing enterprise. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was asking about buying from a legit commercial fishing enterprise. I'm sure they know what they're doing.
Then you would have a reciept from a fishery.
Transport rules then change.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your not allowed.

Do a charter, talked to my dad this morning and the coho are thick right now

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go on google maps and type seafood market near Vancouver island. There is lots.

Probably are going to be paying retail. But still a lot cheaper than catching them yourself on a charter im thinkin...

Last edited:
Top Bottom