6.4 ltr diesel engine.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a piston pop a hole on my 6.4 when I owned it. Over fueling injector. Loved that truck. Did a lot of work to bullet proof it (other than an injector contribution test which I should have done, go figure). Any dealer related shop wanted over $20,000 to fix. Found used engines at some wreckers, which installed would have been about $10,000. More I called around, the better the news got. Based off a recommendation here on S&M I ended up at Alberta Superduties. Had some good conversations with Peter. Honest and decent work which ended up costing me about $6,000!! Truck ran better than ever and I was able to get back some decent money out of the truck when I ended up selling.

https://www.albertasuperdutys.ca/

Give Peter a call and see what he has to say.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks . I called Alberta super duty. They have stock rebuilds with arp studs for $9500. I also talked to my mechanic about putting a 24 valve cumins in, he said model years 2002 t0 2006 would be the way to go, he is going to figure out a ruff estimate on the cost of doing that. He say my truck value will go through the roof if done right and the truck is in such awsome condition that it would be worth it. His words. So now it has me thinking about goin that route. His buddy is itching to buy it as is so he can do it which makes me a little nervous about him escalating the price so I won't but he is the best rated shop on the island so hopefully he's not like that.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cummins conversion would be awesome but will be quite a bit more than another 6.4 all said and done. It use to be anyways. All depends on what you want out of it down the road I guess.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
replace the 6.4 with that superduties option. The real key to the 6.4 was a dpf delete but leaving the EGR in place as it acted like a turbo blow off. They were capable of soooo much power but being modest with it also made a difference. I had an 09 with 325k on it an d ran as strong as ever. Deleted the DPF at 40km and had my money back in fuel in no time. My problem was all the salt on the highway eating away at the wiring. Ive since had a 17 and now a 2022 witht eh 10 spd and diesel. Much nicer drive but that throw you back in the seat feeling is gone despite the higher power ratings.

I also looked at the cummings conversion. A good friend did it and it has been nothing but problems. Has been back and forth to Montana and still couldn't get it figured out right.

Everything has its problems, it is just which problem do you want!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cummins conversion would be awesome but will be quite a bit more than another 6.4 all said and done. It use to be anyways. All depends on what you want out of it down the road I guess.
Agree. I've thought about picking up a blown up 6.0 or 6.4 and doing the cummins swap. I have the shop and the time. After thinking about it though, I looked at the total cost and thought that money would be better spent towards a 6.7. And maybe I'm wrong, but I would think a frankentruck would be a lot harder to sell ?

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could be right on the resale. I would be leary myself, depends on who did it and how good of job was done I guess. I'm just goin over my options, I do have some sentimental attachment to it, I'm proud of how I've customized it and kept it in such good shape, I guess I loved my truck, weird I know, to do it again on a newer truck at my age probably wont happen so cookie cutter truck it would be. I've got time to think k about it and figure it out. I appreciate all the comments, helps alot.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing I just thought of that makes rebuilding yours more tempting.....good old BC has 12% tax on every used vehicle. So even if you pick up a nice 6.7 for 40k or so, it's gonna cost you another 5k in tax to register it. You won't have that on yours.

I'm surprised you don't hear about 6.7 swaps into the old 6.0 and 6.4. must not be feasible?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing I just thought of that makes rebuilding yours more tempting.....good old BC has 12% tax on every used vehicle. So even if you pick up a nice 6.7 for 40k or so, it's gonna cost you another 5k in tax to register it. You won't have that on yours.

I'm surprised you don't hear about 6.7 swaps into the old 6.0 and 6.4. must not be feasible?

Thought I saw on the Alberta Superduty's site something about a 6.7 swap.

Top Bottom