Bctf..

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else sick and tired of these whining teachers and the bctf union!??
They should come and work in the real world for a while and see how they feel about that.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should come and work in the real world for a while and see how they feel about that.

If anything, the strike has been good for our kids. The "modified job action" really has had no impact on their activities or freedoms at all. The number of Professional Development days has dwindled since the teachers no longer get report writing days etc., However, we receive more frequent reports and interims from the teachers because they are not allowed to issue formal report cards... This communication increase is great, especially with the teenager!!

I don't know about other schools, but our teachers remain dedicated to the needs of the students and for the most part have worked hard to become creative in doing so despite restrictions placed on them by the BCTF. If you ask many of the teachers at our school, they have lost sight of all the nuances of the disagreement and just want business to resume as usual.

It would be nice for the strike to end so our teachers could forget about the bargaining process and just do their job. I feel bad that it has gone on so long.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't effect us as our kids go to a private school. That being said I couldn't be a teacher for any amount of money. We have 2 kids and thats plenty, I couldn't imagine 30 of the buggers. I think highschool teachers probably have it the worst as well. I have friends that are teachers and I know the first few years you don't get paid chit. One of my close friends makes more money bartending on friday and sat then he does all month teaching. Its the superintedants that make the $$$.

Just goes to show we are willing to spend more money in a bar then we are our kids.

Just saying..............Im not a fan of unions but shouldn't we give some respect to the people we intrust our kids with for 40hrs a week?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't effect us as our kids go to a private school. That being said I couldn't be a teacher for any amount of money. We have 2 kids and thats plenty, I couldn't imagine 30 of the buggers. I think highschool teachers probably have it the worst as well. I have friends that are teachers and I know the first few years you don't get paid chit. One of my close friends makes more money bartending on friday and sat then he does all month teaching. Its the superintedants that make the $$$.

Just goes to show we are willing to spend more money in a bar then we are our kids.

Just saying..............Im not a fan of unions but shouldn't we give some respect to the people we intrust our kids with for 40hrs a week?

I feel the same- 30 of someone else's kids ALL day?!?!?! Not for a million dollars...

And yes, our teachers deserve more respect. I think that the BCTF has muddied the waters somewhat, much to the detriment of our teachers...

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My sons teacher was complaining she had to work for 9 hours to prepare for mid term reports. I replied "9 hours? In a row?" sarcastically, she was less than amused!

I agree with SledMamma, the level of my sons education seems to have improved this year over last. The extra communication is very helpful.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I was a highschool substitute shop class teacher. OMFG!!!! $150.00 a day for 6 hrs of hell!

Teachers deserve a lot more respect for what they do than what they get. :twocents:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I was a highschool substitute shop class teacher. OMFG!!!! $150.00 a day for 6 hrs of hell!

Teachers deserve a lot more respect for what they do than what they get. :twocents:
Some teachers NOT all .

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I' believe teachers should get a raise. 15% over 3 years sounds a little bit excessive. We all wish we could get a 5%/y increase, but unless you can dictate your own pay increase(like politicians), we all know it isn't going to happen. Maybe we could afford to pay teachers more if government didn't award themselves with ridiculous pension payouts. I'm gonna run next election just to get my hands on golden retirement plan for my "humble" public service.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I have zero sympathy for the teachers. Personally there is no way I could be a teacher and my hat is off to them even though I would love to have every holidays off and summers as well. Like everyone, they had a choice in careers and it is not like they had no clue how it is in class as they were students once. We have put 3 daughters thru the school system with one still in middle school. I personally feel that only about 5 out of 10 teachers have their heart into what they are doing and the rest are there for the holiday plan and pension. I dont recall so many substitute teaches when I was in school. It seemed my kids were taught 1/3 of the year by a sub for one reason or another.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I' believe teachers should get a raise. 15% over 3 years sounds a little bit excessive. We all wish we could get a 5%/y increase, but unless you can dictate your own pay increase(like politicians), we all know it isn't going to happen. Maybe we could afford to pay teachers more if government didn't award themselves with ridiculous pension payouts. I'm gonna run next election just to get my hands on golden retirement plan for my "humble" public service.

Granted, our school is a very small percentage of the whole picture and I cannot speak for the remainder of the teachers in the province, but for my children's elementary school teachers, the sticking point for them is not the raise. That 15% number is an arbitrary figure chosen by the BCTF that does not really reflect the more realistic expectations of the teachers. Rather, our teachers have repeatedly stressed their grave concerns over the government's wish to increase class sizes and reduce funding for teacher's aids and assistance for the handicapped. Our classrooms are already ridiculously full and I don't believe the teachers or the students can stand to have it continue.

I do believe that the BCTF and the government are wasting inordinate amounts of time and money bickering in court and having "definitions" created and expounded so that they can clear up their legal position from the last bargaining process and then move forward. Who cares?? let's deal with the current situation, stop wasting valuable resources bickering in court and draining valuable funds that could be buying our children new learning resources, funding extra teachers and specialized aide for the classrooms.

How about equalizing and streamlining some of the pay scales so that an admin assistant with 3 months of training and a certificate printed on really nice paper from the college isn't making 85% of what someone with 5 years of university schooling makes? Its not the teachers who are the problem, its the bureaucratic waste that needs desperately to be addressed.

Top Bottom